United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb First Brits were Redheads

The Sunday Times January 07, 2007

Flaming heck, first Brits were redheads

A genetic study has revealed a surprise about our ancestors, says Robin McKie

There is a small, windowless room on the ground floor of Oxford’s Radcliffe Infirmary that can be reached only by walking through a maze of narrow passageways. The hospital, built in the late 18th century, is old even by the normal standards of ageing National Health Service buildings. Nevertheless, it is in these antiquated surroundings that scientists have set up one of the most ambitious biological programmes attempted in Britain.

This is the base of the People of the British Isles project, which is using the power of modern genetics to show how people in different regions interacted over the past few thousand years, how they subjugated one another and how they passed on ideas, inventions and art.

In that little cubbyhole on the ground floor there is a bench fitted with high-technology gear used to isolate and copy DNA, a couple of tables with personal computers and several tall fridges. Inside these are rows of vials that hold the bloodline of the British people. Each vial contains DNA from a person who has taken part in the project and each sample has its own special story to tell.

Blood was collected from 11 sites for the project’s pilot study: Orkney, northeast England, Cumbria, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Oxfordshire, Pembrokeshire, Kent/Sussex, Devon and Cornwall. The researchers then used centrifuges to isolate the white cells, which are stuffed with DNA. Using the DNA — and thanks to advances in molecular biology — the team has begun to build up a pattern of different genetic variants for different parts of the British Isles.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...534334,00.html

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

AW: First Brits were red heads

“Genes for red hair first appeared in human beings about 40,000 to 50,000 years ago,” agrees Rees.

These genes were then carried into the islands by the original settlers, men and women who “would have been relatively tall, with little body fat, athletic, fair-skinned and who would have had red hair”, says David Miles, of English Heritage.
    Describes original Cromagnids.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: First Brits were red heads

I don't know what to think about these news articles. It seems every week British scientists discover new and exciting things about our ancestors, but all of the articles contradict each other. One minute we're descended from Spanish fishermen, the next a bunch of ginger Cromagnids. In this article's defense, the 'Red Lady of Paviland', that skeleton which was found in Wales, also matches this article's description of the original settlers being Cromagnid-like. The remains were 29,000 years old.

Anyway... interesting read, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Describes original Cromagnids.
    Can we assume they were of the leptomorphic Bruenn variety?

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

AW: Re: First Brits were red heads

Quote Originally Posted by Glyndŵr View Post
    I don't know what to think about these news articles. It seems every week British scientists discover new and exciting things about our ancestors, but all of the articles contradict each other. One minute we're descended from Spanish fishermen, the next a bunch of ginger Cromagnids. In this article's defense, the 'Red Lady of Paviland', that skeleton which was found in Wales, also matches this article's description of the original settlers being Cromagnid-like. The remains were 29,000 years old.
    Well, especially in Britain the scientific community seems to invest as much in public relations, to get into the news, as in the actual studies sometimes. This lowers the quality of the messages we hear from them...

Can we assume they were of the leptomorphic Bruenn variety?
    Before the Ice Age the Cromagnids might have had larger proportions of people which were more rangy than many of those we see today. Otherwise they were robust and mesomorphic, though being more leptomorphic than most Cromagnids of today I'd say and read.
    Last edited by Agrippa; Sunday, January 7th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

On The Road
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    North Atlantid & Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking of contradictions, the Times article states on page 2 that red headed women are able to tolerate more pain than others.

I thought that it was the opposite that was true?
    This old article seems to think so, has this been debunked?

Red heads suffer more pain

October 2002
    NewScientist.com

People with red hair are more sensitive to pain and consequently need more anaesthetic during operations than other patients, according to new research.

"Red hair is the first visible human trait, or phenotype, that is linked to anaesthetic requirement," says anaesthesiologist Edwin Liem, who conducted the research at the Outcomes Research Institute of the University of Louisville, US.

Ten red-haired women between 19 and 40 years of age and ten more with dark hair were given a commonly-used inhaled anaesthetic in the study. After each dose of the anaesthetic, the women were given a standard electric shock.

The process was repeated until the women said they felt no pain. Their reflexes were also monitored to assess the effectiveness of the painkiller. The researchers found that red heads required 20 per cent more anesthetic to dull the pain.

In people with red hair, the cells that produce skin and hair pigment have a dysfunctional melanocortin 1 receptor. Liem says this dysfunction triggers the release of more of the hormone that stimulates these cells, but this hormone also stimulates a brain receptor related to pain sensitivity.

Liem is hopeful that the research will lead to improved patient care. Anaesthetists must be very careful when choosing how much anesthetic to give a patient before an operation. Too little and the patient could wake up, too much and they could suffer cardiac complications.

The research will also move forward understanding of the relationship between genetic characteristics and anaesthetic requirements, he says: "Investigating the role of melanocortin system in the central nervous system is likely to help us understand fundamental questions such as which systems in the brain produce unconsciousness and which modulate pain perception."

Last Online
    Saturday, July 14th, 2007 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Underlying rufosity has always seemed to me to be a feature of the peoples of the Blessed Isles. Whether brunette or blonde, upon closer inspection or when the sun catches their hair, you will catch a glimpse of red.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2007 @ 03:15 PM
    Subrace
    Skando-Nordid->CM
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Red hair is in my lineage, as my Brother is Ginger, and My Mother had auburny hair. My neice also is a bright red head. Tends to skip generations i think, as prior to my brother having Ginger hair, it was my Great-Grandfather who had it too.
    Tired

Last Online
    Saturday, October 20th, 2018 @ 05:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Saxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Alberta Alberta
    conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
    Underlying rufosity has always seemed to me to be a feature of the peoples of the Blessed Isles. Whether brunette or blonde, upon closer inspection or when the sun catches their hair, you will catch a glimpse of red.
    Yessir! I agree, I've got the red undertone in my brown hair and many of my cousins have the extremely pale freckled skin of redheads, despite being black haired. They must be masked redheads.

Blessed Isles! Was Hael, brodir!
    Don't let Europe Rule Britannia!

"If we reunited, then we would be an economic and military powerhouse without peer for centuries to come."-Leofric