independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Running On Hard Surfaces?

Anyone a runner out there? I see people running on concrete (ie streets, etc) and wonder if in the long term this causes bone damage. It would seem logically it would in time yet I see people doing this seemingly on a regular basis without problem. Is there hard science on this either way?

I run but whenever possible avoid concrete.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

From NPR's Present at the Creation

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/graduate/

http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheGraduate/tg11.jpg

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 18th, 2004 @ 03:31 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    White Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Running On Hard Surfaces?

Running on grass playing fields or competition level tracks is your best bet. They have more "give" and absorb shock better. When I run the streets, I try to stay off concrete sidewalks and stick to blacktop. Blacktop is a little softer, especially in the summer. Running on boardwalks at the beach is fun. The wooden planks actually give you a little spring, not to mention being ogled by all the bikini-clad ladies

I'm a big guy (around 210 lbs) so I keep the mileage low. Us big fellows have to worry about our joints a little more, so I concentrate more on sprint work than distance.

Of course, a nice running shoe is essential and should be replaced every 100-200 miles. Some runners get new shoes monthly, depending on their mileage. I'm actually going to get a new pair today......what a strange coincidence. Asics 4 life, yo

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfaHun
    Running on grass playing fields or competition level tracks is your best bet. They have more "give" and absorb shock better. When I run the streets, I try to stay off concrete sidewalks and stick to blacktop. Blacktop is a little softer, especially in the summer. Running on boardwalks at the beach is fun. The wooden planks actually give you a little spring, not to mention being ogled by all the bikini-clad ladies
    I didn't mention it, but I actually do run on grass whenever possible and I don't ever (or very rarely) see anyone else doing that (and am glad they don't or there wouldn't be any grass left) So it seems I'm not the only one LOL!

When I run on the rare occasion on the city streets I go for the strips of grass between the sidewalk and street, and when that's not available the asphalt street, and last, the sidewalk. Course, always got to watch out for those unexpected holes in the ground covered by the vegetation (only had a few mishaps with those, nothing serious ). You're right about the asphalt and wood providing a bit of bounce, it's noticeable. Alas here in Texas we're I'm at no boardwalks on the beach ....but we do have the ladies often running on the trails at the lakes and they are due to that fact often in the best of shape!

I don't care what the scientist say about fast walking, I think running is one of the best all around workouts there are.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 14th, 2004 @ 04:59 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    n/a
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    I didn't mention it, but I actually do run on grass whenever possible and I don't ever (or very rarely) see anyone else doing that (and am glad they don't or there wouldn't be any grass left) So it seems I'm not the only one LOL!

When I run on the rare occasion on the city streets I go for the strips of grass between the sidewalk and street, and when that's not available the asphalt street, and last, the sidewalk. Course, always got to watch out for those unexpected holes in the ground covered by the vegetation (only had a few mishaps with those, nothing serious ). You're right about the asphalt and wood providing a bit of bounce, it's noticeable. Alas here in Texas we're I'm at no boardwalks on the beach ....but we do have the ladies often running on the trails at the lakes and they are due to that fact often in the best of shape!

I don't care what the scientist say about fast walking, I think running is one of the best all around workouts there are.
    I run quite a bit - usually every other day and I always run on the grass to the side of the road; and yes, I know what you mean about the holes . Like you said, I rarely see anyone else doing this. It seems to me that over time, running on streets, concrete, etc would cause damage to joints but I have not read any studies on this, though. And I agree, running is a great workout.
    "As human beings, we're a complex thing; Sometimes so beautiful, other times so vain" - from Consequences by Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atlancos
    It seems to me that over time, running on streets, concrete, etc would cause damage to joints but I have not read any studies on this, though.
    That's what I tend to think as while our ancestors certainly did do a lot of running (running after Wooly Mammoths and all ) it was not on concrete but on earth. Concrete is unnatural. The human body is amazingly adaptive though and I see people running on concrete all the time...still, I would be interested in a long term study of the effects. Running is a fantastic workout...great for the cardio vascular system. The harder the run..the better!

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 06:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's what I tend to think as while our ancestors certainly did do a lot of running (running after Wooly Mammoths and all ) it was not on concrete but on earth. Concrete is unnatural. The human body is amazingly adaptive though and I see people running on concrete all the time...still, I would be interested in a long term study of the effects. Running is a fantastic workout...great for the cardio vascular system. The harder the run..the better!

I wouldn't say that. I don't run anymore but I used to really push myself. I'd run 10-15km and then bike another 25-30km. The bones in my legs would ache and the only way to stop the pain was to run more. It's not good for the joints for one thing. I think alot of these runners are going to have to get knee or hip replacements. Your leg bones can splinter from running too much.

IHR Revisionist Conference, April 24, 2004, internet broadcast:

http://www.internationalrevisionistconference.c om/

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    I wouldn't say that. I don't run anymore but I used to really push myself. I'd run 10-15km and then bike another 25-30km. The bones in my legs would ache and the only way to stop the pain was to run more. It's not good for the joints for one thing. I think alot of these runners are going to have to get knee or hip replacements. Your leg bones can splinter from running too much.
    Sounds as though you were pushing yourself past your physical endurance...ie the bones aching. I think each person has a limit to what their body can stand...there are those that otherwise healthy literally are not able to run at all...and others seem to be able to run a good ten miles a day (though I think that's pushing things) with little or no problems. I am curious about long term effects but for the most part have not heard of problems...it must have been studied though.

As for hard workouts....short of damaging yourself the harder the better. This has been studied and that is what they concluded. Use it or lose it. This would explain why you see US Special Forces veterans and marines who are retired and in their 40's and but who continue to workout easily passing for someone in their 20's. We're clearly meant to be active beings.

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 06:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We're clearly meant to be active beings.

Active yes. But not running. A good long brisk walk is better. With maybe spurts of running.

IHR Revisionist Conference, April 24, 2004, internet broadcast:

http://www.internationalrevisionistconference.c om/

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 14th, 2004 @ 04:59 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    n/a
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think in regard with any type of excercise/workout, overdoing it is unhealthy. But a nice, hard workout, I think, is good for the body - just as long as you're not pushing yourself too far.

Something strange that I've heard about people who run long distances for many years (such as marathon runners) is that they seem to age quicker - what I mean is looks/physical appearance. I have a neighbor who used to run in marathons and he still runs alot today, he looks older than his actual age. But, he also works long hours so that could be a factor. This sounds odd, have any of you heard this before?
    "As human beings, we're a complex thing; Sometimes so beautiful, other times so vain" - from Consequences by Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atlancos
    I think in regard with any type of excercise/workout, overdoing it is unhealthy. But a nice, hard workout, I think, is good for the body - just as long as you're not pushing yourself too far.

Something strange that I've heard about people who run long distances for many years (such as marathon runners) is that they seem to age quicker - what I mean is looks/physical appearance. I have a neighbor who used to run in marathons and he still runs alot today, he looks older than his actual age. But, he also works long hours so that could be a factor. This sounds odd, have any of you heard this before?
    That might be that the marathon runners are exposed to long periods of sunlight when doingtheir thing, and while their skin does indeed look old and weathered from the sun...they may internally be in great shape. I have to be careful during the summer months to run where there are trees. Otherwise burn city!

As for workouts I do think pushing the body to the limit (not past) is best. Use it or lose it!
    Last edited by Gladstone; Saturday, March 27th, 2004 at 02:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast