Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Proportionality in Asian and North American Caucasian Faces

Proportionality in Asian and North American Caucasian Faces Using Neoclassical Facial Canons as Criteria

Thuy T. Le , Leslie G. Farkas , Rexon C.K. Ngim , L. Scott Levin , Christopher R. Forrest

A1 Durham, North Carolina, USA
    A2 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    A3 Singapore, Thailand

Abstract:

Abstract. Nine projective linear measurements were taken to determine morphometric differences of the face among healthy young adult Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thais (60 in each group) and to assess the validity of six neoclassical facial canons in these populations. In addition, the findings in the Asian ethnic groups were compared to the data of 60 North American Caucasians. The canons served as criteria for determining the differences between the Asians and Caucasians. In neither Asian nor Caucasian subjects were the three sections of the facial profile equal. The validity of the five other facial canons was more frequent in Caucasians (range: 16.7-36.7%) than in Asians (range: 1.7-26.7%). Horizontal measurement results were significantly greater in the faces of the Asians (en-en, al-al, zy-zy) than in their white counterparts; as a result, the variation between the classical proportions and the actual measurements was significantly higher among Asians (range: 90-100%) than Caucasians (range: 13.3-48%). The dominant characteristics of the Asian face were a wider intercanthal distance in relation to a shorter palpebral fissure, a much wider soft nose within wide facial contours, a smaller mouth width, and a lower face smaller than the forehead height. In the absence of valid anthropometric norms of craniofacial measurements and proportion indices, our results, based on quantitative analysis of the main vertical and horizontal measurements of the face, offers surgeons guidance in judging the faces of Asian patients in preparation for corrective surgery

I will post the full article later

Last Online
    Saturday, April 28th, 2018 @ 05:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Katarinensische
    Subrace
    Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re: Proportionality in Asian and North American Caucasian Faces

Differences in Horizontal, Neoclassical Facial Canons in Chinese (Han) and North American Caucasian Populations

Wang Dawei A1, Qian Guozheng A1, Zhang Mingli A1, Leslie G. Farkas A1

A1 Shanghai, People's Republic of China and Toronto, Canada

Abstract:

Abstract. To better our ability to analyze the facial disproportions of patients of Chinese ancestry, we compared the validity of four neoclassical canons of facial proportion in Chinese and North American Caucasians populations. We tested the frequency of four horizontal facial canons and their eight variations in 206 healthy adults (105 males and 101 females, 18–25 years old) belonging to the predominant ethnic group (Han: 400 million) of the Chinese population, and compared them to those of 103 healthy young North American Caucasian adults. The nose width corresponded to one-quarter of the face width (the nasofacial canon) significantly more frequently in Chinese participants (51.5%) than in Caucasian adults (36.9%). The nose was narrower than one-quarter of the face width in 38.8% of North American Caucasians and in 21.8% of Chinese; this difference was also statistically significant. In defiance of the naso-oral canon, the mouths of Chinese people were significantly more often narrower than 1.5 times the nose width (71.8%), while in North American Caucasian ethnics the mouth was significantly more frequently wider (60.2%).

Last Online
    Monday, November 3rd, 2008 @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ger+(Celt/Ita)
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Religion
    empirical truth
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish someone would run a similar study on Asian (be it Japanese or other Oriental animation) "anime," as their fantasized characters (I'll even go out on a limb here and proclaim it to be their collective interpritation of physical beauty, from a majority perspective) are clearly Europid and anyone with some spare time and determination could mathematically prove this. Not only metrically, but skin tone, hair and eye color as well. More often will you find them with blue and green eye colors than any other among "anime" characters (I am judging this from my personal experience, maybe 10-15 different series).

It is my understanding that fighting characters in the Dragonball series go under a change in which they become "super humans" or something similar to that, wherein they gain extra strength etc., and thier appearance (aside from visible muscular enhancment) changes from dark haired, brown/black eyed complections to flaxen hair and light blue/turquoise eyes.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 15th, 2004 @ 04:45 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi,

i am an rhinologist and an ent surgeon.i am just begining my study and research (phd) on facial proportions,ethnic and psychological aspects of the pakistani populatiuon

we have a mixture of people mostly aryan in origin (central asians and some greek blood due to alexander in the northern most part of pakistan ) and very different from the indians.

i would appreciate some help in this regard.

thanks

Last Online
    Saturday, April 28th, 2018 @ 05:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Katarinensische
    Subrace
    Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dr. shiraz aslam
    hi,

i am an rhinologist and an ent surgeon.i am just begining my study and research (phd) on facial proportions,ethnic and psychological aspects of the pakistani populatiuon

we have a mixture of people mostly aryan in origin (central asians and some greek blood due to alexander in the northern most part of pakistan ) and very different from the indians.

i would appreciate some help in this regard.

thanks
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=8619

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 @ 01:30 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish/Scotch
    Ancestry
    Ireland and Scotland
    Subrace
    Nordid with Brunn admixture
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Insurance
    Politics
    Conservative Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dux ducis
    I wish someone would run a similar study on Asian (be it Japanese or other Oriental animation) "anime," as their fantasized characters (I'll even go out on a limb here and proclaim it to be their collective interpritation of physical beauty, from a majority perspective) are clearly Europid and anyone with some spare time and determination could mathematically prove this. Not only metrically, but skin tone, hair and eye color as well. More often will you find them with blue and green eye colors than any other among "anime" characters (I am judging this from my personal experience, maybe 10-15 different series).
    Quote Originally Posted by dux ducis
    It is my understanding that fighting characters in the Dragonball series go under a change in which they become "super humans" or something similar to that, wherein they gain extra strength etc., and thier appearance (aside from visible muscular enhancment) changes from dark haired, brown/black eyed complections to flaxen hair and light blue/turquoise eyes.
    In anime, the artwork is primarily just that...art. It has taken artistic licence. The big eyes are used to better convey emotions in the characters. Although, smaller eyes are used in evil characters because it is human nature that big eyes= childlike and innocence. The haircolor is not meant to be caucasian. It is used to help better differentiate between the characters. And, they use natural as well as unnatural color for the hair. The haircolor also sometimes has a meaning. For example, someone who has a bubbly personality may have pink hair. Someone who is generally calm will have blue hair, as so on...And, as far as Dragonball Z is concerned. The characters in question are aliens from a different planet. And so it would make sense that they would have coloring that does not naturally occur in mongoloid populations.They do also sometimes depict people who are meant to be cacausian and they typically have stronger jaws, are taller, etc. See attatched examples:
    Last edited by Cliodhna; Friday, June 3rd, 2005 at 11:55 AM.

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It isn't just in their anime that the characters have light hair, and eyes though. Their dolls and everything have it. When I lived in Japan, being a collector of dolls, I wanted a Japanese "barbie" and when I saw them in the store, I selected one with auburn hair and blue eyes. I wanted her, because I didn't want another blonde barbie, since I had plenty from the states, but the store shelves in Japan were full of blondes as well. I tried google searching their barbies and I found these sites:

http://www.shersdolls.com/JennyFriend.html#Takara

http://www.dollsjapan.com/dolls.htm

http://www.ncentral.com/~JLawrence/j...e/janjenny.htm

I couldn't find the one I have on any of the sites. Mine is a Licca doll. I know this because she came wearing a pink shirt with her name across it "Licca," and those petal pusher pants in a white with cherries design. I bought mine in 1985. They have the coolest "barbie" accessories in Japan. Look at the food here: http://www.jbox.com/SEARCH/re-ment
    And when I lived there, I got a makeup kit for mine. I still have it. The makeup was nothing like the crap they had for american barbies. This stuff was lifelike detailed little bottles, lipsticks, etc. (sorry, I know I got a little off topic.... my original intentiona was just to show how the "barbies" are also created with the light hair/eyes. )
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf