Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    Oh, what might be the average age of Skadi members? Maybe one of the secrets/reasons why this is so nice forum.

This thread? Started 2006? By then I was 8 years old. 2. class at school, already training figure skating half-seriously, just starting martial arts, plus bit self-willed young ''lady''.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    According to our statistics before the upgrade (end of Jan this year), about 65% of Skadites are in the 30+ age range and the average age is 40:

One should take into consideration though that not all members provide us with a valid birthday, we have some members who are supposedly over 100 years old (not that many though, their number is somewhere around 10). The oldest believable age is somewhere in the 80s range. We also have around 1500 members who did not provide their birthday (except at registration), what also influences these statistics. And of course this concerns all registrations since 2002, the avergae age of currently active members may differ.

But we do have many members over 30. One reason behind this is that Skadi has been around longer than most other communities - only Stormfront, I believe, surpasses it in seniority - so we have some veterans who have been with us since the very beginning, or for a relatively long time. The average age used to be lower in the past, for example in 2009 we had many users in their early and mid 20s and the average age was 31. I remember around that time "ageism" was a hot topic

Age might play a role in the forum atmosphere, though I'd say it's more often the maturity of members that counts and can render a community civil. Of course there are other factors, such as the forum's seniority, its orientation, size, etiquette and moderation style. Skadi's moderation style is somewhat stricter than other forums' when it comes to flame wars or trolling; though we are a free speech forum ideologically speaking, we do not consider insults, ad hominems and personal attacks to be worthy of protection. Overtime however we've noticed that many of our regulars practice self-moderation. When civility is the dominant etiquette, most people will try to follow suit. Also, since the forum has been around for over a decade, many of our members know and respect each other, they have built friendships, some have even met personally.

It wasn't always like this though, it took some time and experience through trial and error to get to this level. Especially during the European era and some time shortly thereafter there were a lot of soap operas between members of various backgrounds - North vs. South, East vs. West, Slavs vs. Germanics, Europe vs. America/the New World, Croats vs. Serbs and assorted Balkan wars, Russians vs. Finns "debating" WW2 and threatening to hang and shoot each other, Indians and Persians arguing who was the most "Aryan" between them, etc. All of this had arguably some degree of entertainment value, but to those of us who read it and heard it all a thousand times it soon became old. The cultural value of such discussions was questionable; our people don't learn anything and aren't brought into touch with their roots through endless bickering; they are instead multi-culturized and confused. Changing the orientation to Germanic helped tone some of that down, as it's quite challenging to keep a ship on track with such a highly diverse audience.

I was 21 when this thread was made, different times... We've changed a few generations of regulars since then. But we'd like to cater to younger members as well, although the newer generations seem to hang more on social media. Around the time this thread was made and a few good years after, social media hadn't been big (or even fully developed) yet. It was the era of vbulletin forums - at some point there must have been over a dozen dedicated to conservative topics alone. In the meantime conservatives have moved to social media and blogging. Sadly, these days they've become subject to censorship by most social media giants though. We also seem to have more female regulars these days, although overall women comprise just about 20% of the board's membership.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, December 14th, 2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
    Subrace
    Nordoalpine
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Politics
    Patriotisch; Anti-Islam
    Religion
    Heidentum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Uhm, wasn't there an elderly man on the older version of Skadi, in his 70'ies or 80'ies? I looked it up: Gorm The Old.

I wonder what happened to him after all the years. Do we really want to know it?
    Loyal to my hate

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 10:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
    Uhm, wasn't there an elderly man on the older version of Skadi, in his 70'ies or 80'ies? I looked it up: Gorm The Old.

I wonder what happened to him after all the years. Do we really want to know it?
    I've wondered about him too. I do know that he was over at apricity for a while but I haven't visited that site in years.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213