Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Magic Mushrooms Thread

It's the middle of mushroom season. Have you ever tried Magic Mushrooms?

Did you laugh?
    Did you cry?
    Were you happy?
    Were you sad?
    Were you perplexed?
    Were you shocked?

More
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/

Last Online
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Trickster God
    Politics
    Pro-Freedom, Pro-Skadi
    Religion
    seeker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: The Mushroom Thread

I plan to try Amanita Muscaria (the red ones with white dots). I will do 30 minutes of intense meditation before hand. I will perform a short shamanic drumming and dancing ritual to thank the shroom and the spirits of the shroom. I will then take as big a dose as possible and observe what happens.

Part of the problem with natural drugs like shrooms, weed, etc is that people do it recreationally and do not respect the spirit of the plant.

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monkshood View Post
    It's the middle of mushroom season. Have you ever tried Magic Mushrooms?

Did you laugh?
    Did you cry?
    Were you happy?
    Were you sad?
    Were you perplexed?
    Were you shocked?

More
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/
    I tried some commercially grown 'shrooms a few years ago when they were still legal. They were pretty good fun for the first few hours, we were just laughing and clowning around, but when the the effects were still lingering after 6+ hours we became paranoid and had to sedate ourselves with beer. We ate about 120 grams fresh, way too high a dose for first-timers. I've picked Liberty Caps with my friends before, but I'm against trying them because they grow out of dung. I've heard they taste like shit, too.

And by the way, nicholas, it's not best to take as big a dose as possible. Fly Agaric can be fatal if too much is consumed, or you can be left with lasting liver damage. Unlike the Psilocybe mushrooms, which are less toxic to the body than orange juice. It might also be a good idea that you have a sober person looking after you.

Last Online
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Trickster God
    Politics
    Pro-Freedom, Pro-Skadi
    Religion
    seeker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Nausea View Post
    And by the way, nicholas, it's not best to take as big a dose as possible. Fly Agaric can be fatal if too much is consumed, or you can be left with lasting liver damage. Unlike the Psilocybe mushrooms, which are less toxic to the body than orange juice. It might also be a good idea that you have a sober person looking after you.
    yeah, I still have a lot of research to do before I actually ingest anything.

AW: The Mushroom Thread

I tried Psilocybe shrooms (p. cubensis and tampanensis) a few times and can only recommend them.

Of course you have to be well prepared for the trip. You need a strong mind, a healthy body, good spirits, set and setting must be ok, etc. (NEVER take them when you are somehow depressed). And you should be old enough, I'd say about 22 at least. But then it may be worth trying and can open up whole new aspects of consciousness.

I wouldnt even call psilocybin a drug at all, because basically you stay completely sober through the whole trip, at least on one level of your 'exploding' self. There are, apart from occasional mild flashbacks, virtually no aftereffects, no addiction, no health issues. In my view, taking shrooms is safer than having a sixpack of beer. I really dont know why psychedelic drugs are seen with such suspicion.

I would see it as an experiment though, and not as a means of recreation. Combining it with meditation is surely the right way.

One more piece of advice: NEVER try driving a car - or even a bike - when you are on shrooms. I tried it once with a high dose and it was worst horrortrip I had. I also recommend you not to do it alone. The danger is not the drug itself but what you might do under its influence (probably thats what Bridie meant?)

P.S. I didnt try A. muscaria so far, but from what I heard it's not the ideal shroom for beginners. Perhaps you should keep this one for later (
    www.erowid.org has lots of trip reports &c. on all the important shrooms and other substances).
    Last edited by Pervitinist; Saturday, October 14th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.

The danger is not the drug itself but what you might do under its influence (probably thats what Bridie meant?)
    That's not really what I meant, no. Although I did have a friend who committed suicide due to a bad trip on magic mushies once (threw himself into a river off a bridge), so I think that would fall into the category of "what you might do" rather than "what it may do to you". Another guy from my hometown shot himself in the face in a botched up suicide attempt and now has only half a face, more or less. Oh and I had another friend who laid on a road once while tripping and got run over by a car and killed too. In the town I was from a lot of kids took magic mushies because they were free.

Drug use is a very emotive topic for me, so this will be my last post on the matter. Although I don't think my words can do any justice to explaining just while I feel so strongly.

Magic Mushrooms are just another "recreational" drug in my mind, I don't differentiate too much between them... they all cause nothing but pain, death and dysfunction. If any of you had walked in my shoes, I'm sure you'd come to the same conclusions. I've lost too many friends... many are still physically alive, yet dead inside. They are like the walking dead.

My closest friend from childhood has been in and out of mental institutions for the last 8 years... she no longer uses recreational drugs (she used EVERYTHING in her time) but she is permanently brain damaged from them. She can't function on her own anymore. She can't catch a bus, hold a conversation and she lives with perpetual sadness.... on one level it is clear that she knows what she has become, and she sometimes just sits in the corner of a room hunched up crying. She said to me once out of the blue in a moment of lucidity and a flood of tears "*Bridie*, I wish I could just go back.... why can't I go back???" She was referring to going back to the time when she was normal, when we were kids.

As girls we would sit and dream of travelling the world, having romances and having families one day.... breaks my heart that it is all over for her now, even though she's still alive, all hope is dead. I lost Shelley years ago, but every time I see her, I grieve again.

And she's just one person I've seen slowly kill themselves.... there have been so many.... my little brother, my cousin, my uncle, my friends.... each has a story. I can't even talk about my brother, breaks my heart too much, and I always think "why didn't I do something to stop him from doing this to himself"??? I feel it is my fault. He's only 22 now, and will never hold down a job, never study (he can't read and write now - he's too drug-fucked), never have a proper relationship let alone a family, never be able to function without his masses of perscription drugs used to control the permanent symptoms of brain damage brought about by his rampant drug abuse since the age of about 13.

I know this is a bit off topic. But I don't care. Just my 2c worth.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've never tried any hallucinogenic drugs (unless E is considered one) and I never will, so I am perhaps not qualified to say this, but anyway, say it I will: I am extremely sceptical of any "consciousness expanding" features of mushrooms, not to mention any other drugs.

I mean, once the effects wear off, are you left with any insights of real, lasting value?

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

BTW: I was disappointed to realise this thread was devoted to mushrooms of the toxic variety, rather than the ones fit for human consumption.

Collecting mushrooms is one of my favourite autumnal pastimes.

<--- might as well call myself "Baggins"

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    BTW: I was disappointed to realise this thread was devoted to mushrooms of the toxic variety, rather than the ones fit for human consumption.
    What do you mean 'toxic variety'?? Psilocybe mushrooms are quite benign to the body. They require over 1,000 times the effective dose to become toxic. The A. Muscaria mushrooms can be quite toxic, though. There are some members of its family which can be fatal if ingested, within a matter of hours. The Amanita Virosa ("Destroying Angel") for example:

From Wikipedia:

"The destroying angel, along with the death cap (Amanita phalloides), are responsible for the overwhelming majority of deaths due to mushroom poisoning. The toxin responsible for this is amatoxin. Symptoms do not appear for 6 to 24 hours, when the toxins may already be absorbed and the damage (destruction of liver and kidney tissue) done. According to Intensive hemodialysis and hemoperfusion treatment of Amanita mushroom poisoning. Department of Nephrology, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden (08-1995). An effective treatment consists of, "fluid and electrolyte replacement, oral activated charcoal and lactulose, i.v. penicillin, combined hemodialysis and hemoperfusion in two 8 hour sessions, some received i.v. thioctic acid, other i.v. silibinin, all received a special diet... We have concluded that intensive combined treatment applied in these cases is effective in relieving patients with both moderate and severe amanitin poisoning."

It's quite worrying because I've spotted them growing in local woods.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast