View Poll Results: Do things happen because we think they will?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

15 25.86%
  • Sometimes

17 29.31%
  • Yes and no

20 34.48%
  • Yes

4 6.90%
  • Always

2 3.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do We Create the World?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, August 16th, 2012 @ 11:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Bruenn + Borreby
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Nerike Nerike
    Family
    Married parent
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sv: Do we create the world?

I think that it is as easy as that when we really, really want something, we give all of our effort to make it happen. When we do that, it is of course more likely that our wishes do happen.

As an interesting phenomena, visualization can actually do the same work as physical training for athletes. When they are mentally in total focus on a race or a high jump, the muscels used in the real life event is actually activated. In that way you can say that in one way thought can alter reality.

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 @ 05:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Married
    Religion
    Empiricist + Rationalist Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do we create the world?

I suppose the relationship between humans and nature is mutual.

Currently, humans has become a major constituent part of the nature. Our acts directly influence the nature, meanwhile we are subjected to natural constraints within the terrestrial environment.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 06:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,169 Posts
    I found this article on MySpace:

The Pseudoscience of 'The Secret'

By Benjamin Radford, LiveScience's Bad Science Columnist

Larry King recently hosted a "special event" broadcast to hundreds of theaters across America. Titled "Beyond the Secret: Spiritual Power and the Law of Attraction," the program is based on Rhonda Byrne's best-selling New Age self-help book "The Secret." The book promises to make dreams come true through positive thinking, and it has — at least for Byrne and her publishers.

The Secret franchise (books, films, DVDs, etc.) has made piles of money, but questions remain about its validity.

"The Secret" claims to be based on science, at times borrowing phrases from quantum physics. But the premise behind the book has been disproved. According to Byrne, the secret is based on a New Age idea called the "Law of Attraction." It states that similar things attract each other, so positive thoughts bring positive things and negative thoughts bring negative things. Therefore if we simply think about things we want, we will get them.
    There's a superficial logic to this, but in physics, it is opposites — not similars — that attract. Regardless, the book's Law of Attraction has nothing to do with science. One cannot simply wish, think, or feel something into existence.

When scientists propose a new theory, they must explain how it works. "The Secret," on the other hand, gets in deep trouble when it tries to explain the mechanism by which the "Law of Attraction" supposedly works. According to the idea, our thoughts somehow send out vibrations that something in the universe somehow deciphers and responds to. If we want to be thinner, or have a new car, the universe will somehow provide it if we think about it. Positive thinking is easier than diet and exercise or earning money to buy a car, but even if the "Law of Attraction" exists, how exactly would the pounds come off, and the new car appear?

There are other serious problems with the so-called scientific basis for "The Secret."

According to the book, "Everything that comes into your life you are attracting into your life by your thoughts." Is this true? Everyone who plays the lottery thinks about winning and being rich (otherwise they wouldn't play), yet very few win. If the Law of Attraction works, why would that be? Shouldn't all of the players win, if all it takes is desire and thought?
    According to the "Law of Attraction," if you have an accident or disease, it's your fault, because your negative thoughts brought it on yourself. If an airplane crashes, does that mean that one or more of the passengers caused it? What about the thoughts of others on board the plane? Did the one person's negative thoughts somehow override the positive thoughts of the others, dooming them all?
    There are a few positive messages amid the platitudes; of course an optimistic outlook is better than a pessimistic one; and yes our thoughts and feelings influence how we experience the world. This is no secret, and has nothing to do with any so-called "Law of Attraction."

A sure sign of crank literature is a self-appointed expert whose main source is a personal inspiration or revelation. If "The Secret" has no basis in science, where did Byrne discover it?
    She admits she just made it up, cobbling together ideas from quantum physics, New Age mysticism, common-sense principles, and a 1910 book called, ironically, "The Science of Getting Rich." Byrne decided that she had stumbled on the key to the universe, and wrote a book about her ideas, not bothering to check for logical errors or scientific reality.
    The secret to book's success is its slick marketing campaign, mixing banal truisms with New Agey magical thinking and presenting it as hidden knowledge. "The Secret" is nothing new, nor is it a secret. For decades, New Age and self-help books like this one have offered up easy answers to life's problems. If any of those books worked, and really contained the secrets to success, wealth, and happiness, they wouldn’t need to publish more — and there would be no need for "Beyond the Secret," "Return of the Secret," or "Son of the Secret.

Benjamin Radford is managing editor of the Skeptical Inquirer science magazine. His books, films, and other projects can be found on his website. His Bad Science column appears regularly on LiveScience.
    Still, visualizing what you want might actually help you getting there, at least when you're involved in a creative process. It has nothing to do with 'the law of attraction' or shaping the universe by making a wish, though. And every footballer knows (or should know) that it helps to visualize the ball going passed the keeper, right before kicking the ball, in order to hit it right instinctively.
    "If we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” ― Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Polity capitated per constituent
    Religion
    a priori dialectic thelema/odal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Skull View Post
    But if that were true, then I would be God.
    Except that you are compelled to experience limitation, and are not of free will to alter the universe, unless there is some deeper will to compel oneself to forget and be thrown into a will regarding only constrained circumstance toward experiencing a condition of limitations which the immediate mind of 'you as God' cannot alter. This is similar to western idealism, or kashmir saivism. Yet western idealism denies particular solipsism setting the godhead up as a mutual absolute plane of immanence of the individual condition.

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeGreen View Post
    Do we create the world?

I suppose the relationship between humans and nature is mutual.

Currently, humans has become a major constituent part of the nature. Our acts directly influence the nature, meanwhile we are subjected to natural constraints within the terrestrial environment.
    Which is (as your profile says, heh) a very empiricalist view of things; assuming their is beyond the immanent mind of your perceptive a consistent plane of matter / materialism

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid/Keltic admixture + CM
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    F*ck politics!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Does things happend because we think it will?

I voted yes and no.

People underestimate the power of the mind. The power of thought, and the power of visualisation. It sounds all a bit spiritual which most people think when you say that things will appear or happen if you think about it.
    This is quite simple to explain. It has all to do with the social interactions people have with each other. For example, you keep thinking about a certain subject, or object or anything what you can visualize. At the moment you keep thinking about it you will also act like it. When you act like it, you will send out your thoughts to other people. You will make choices based on that thought. Which eventually leads you to the thought or object or visualisation just by thinking. And all this through social interactions you create yourself. We are all part of this system, we create this world by choices. We create the situations in this world. We create everything just because we think.
    Germanic Ethnic, Cultural, Spiritual and Racial preservation

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Sometimes. Self suggestion, you know? It happened to me sometimes. If I keep thinking I will mess something up, my power of concentration will focus on messing up, and I might mess up.

Last Online
    Friday, September 30th, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ancestry
    Sicily, Normandy
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Platonic love
    Occupation
    Translator, Publisher
    Politics
    Counterrevolutionary
    Religion
    Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do things happen because we think it will?

A better way to phrase the question is this: "Is the world our will?"

In "The Individual and the Becoming of the World", Evola makes a strong case for the positive answer. He builds on the German Idealist philosophers, particularly Kant and Schopenhauer, especially the latter's concept of the world as will and idea. Simply thinking (i.e., the "idea") is insufficient. One must have the will to bring the idea into existence. Evola then denies that the will is something "external" to us, or rather, to the "I".

The further question, then, is whether the will is spontaneous, which seems to us to be determined, or consciously intended. His philosophy of "Magical Idealism" is about the spiritual practices to develop one's consciousness and will.

The book is available for download here:

http://edred.net/community/members/155/vault.php

Please keep in mind that the main stream of German thought is based on philosophical idealism, and is opposed to realism and materialism. Evola builds on that foundation.
    Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatem loquor

http://www.gornahoor.net

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Tough question. I think we create the reality that we found ourselves in the world. I honestly think humans are prone to creating their own problems out of their own volition. It is simply because either 1. humans seek escape from being bored, 2. We want to learn from our experiences, or 3. Hey, let's say both!

I think personally I've found myself creating my own problems in this world for myself. Like last year I was having these problems with some girl. I kept going back for more, and kept finding myself creating the problems that occurred between us. I found myself being the stem of the problems, and so I just gave up trying to get her as my own and just let my emotions for her eventually die out.

But, in that situation, I think I was creating my own problems for myself. So, I think we do tend to create the world full of pain and suffering for ourselves. We're just prone to because we are inherently stupid and curious sometimes.

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting topic. Something I think about a lot.

I think quantum physics has pretty much confirmed that consciousness plays a crucial role in the shaping of the fabric of space and time. So far, scientists have only been able to prove that a single human observer can affect up to (I believe) an atom, but not anything larger. I think it has something to do with gravity. However, I have a feeling that humans can collectively affect larger matters by the power of their minds alone. It takes coordinated group efforts, deeply held beliefs. What the result of this might be, I'm not sure yet. But I do not think we create the world. I believe God the Almighty creates the world, and we can flex His creation, choose to not see what we don't want to see, and consequently make it less interesting.

I played with the idea that some of the more fantastic stuff of legends and myths could actually have happened because people back then allowed these things to happen, by the power of their beliefs. God (or: the Divine Powers if you dismiss the idea of a Supreme Being) has made a far more incredible world than we can imagine. If only we would open our eyes. That's why I think fairy tales are important. J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton have written some interesting stuff about this. Yet another reason why I deplore the arrogance of modern people.

And for a more recent approach, one might be interested in this take by Michael Talbot: The Universe as a Hologram. (Not the universe = a hologram, but the universe is like a hologram.)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    In a very basic sense, I'd say we do. It's our own power of imagination that crafts the wealth of sensory information we're exposed to into meaningful categories. We carve experience up into schemata for the sake of comprehension, and as importantly for mutual comprehension, and for the sake of coherency and predictability.

I don't believe in any solipsistic relationship with experience. Merely, we define experience according to our own fancy, we invest things with value not inherent to them, our words delimit things that have no objective division, unify things that have no objective unity etc. And to this extent we essentially live in a world of our own creation, without which things would merely occur, but have no significance, no perceived order, no underlying forces and so on.

A very obvious example would be money: Entire lives, nations, cultures, epochs rise and fall for something that only exists hypothetically, purely in the minds of men. Sure, the paper, coin etc. materially exists, but not as money. I could go deeper -- into Nietzschean territory -- and question the reality of concept such as 'the self' etc. but I won't for now. Suffice it to say, we live on the same planet as countless other species, but doubtless our worlds are incomparably different.

Whether the world is constructed by the human mind in a Kantian sense is probably more interesting. Whether it is or not, we don't control it. We don't actively construct the world, even if it is ultimately of the mind's creation.

I like to separate the concepts of objective reality and absolute reality. The former is what we all as a species are familar with. It may not be absolutely true, it may depend on the interpretation of sense data by our intellectual faculties, but it is stable, predicatable -- laws obtain within it. It's only really within this arena that our own creative forces have any impact. It's our domain. As I said before, we don't will away material being. But we do control this environement through imagination, through investing things with meaning.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast