Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Learning Icelandic

  1. #1
    Břndern Ska Gjćnnoppstĺ Erlingr Hárbarđarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Location
    Fare well
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mađr hyggr sér alla vera
    Posts
    842
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Learning Icelandic

    Quote Originally Posted by HIM
    nicely said. i like your style, EH. i am interested in what you said about Óđinn. but unfortunately i do not know Norwegian. would i be out of place to ask about a translation? don't want to annoy anyone being that i'm new and all.
    Norwegian? This is old norse. This is much closer to modern icelandic then tis to norsk. Could you not recognise the tongue of Grĺskjegg!? I wil translate it for you now and make a posting for this beneath...



    Fřrst utvanna saa utrydda



  2. #2
    Senior Member HIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 02:51 AM
    Location
    Kansas
    Age
    36
    Occupation
    Sleeping
    Posts
    504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hárbarđarson
    Norwegian? This is old norse. This is much closer to modern icelandic then tis to norsk. Could you not recognise the tongue of Grĺskjegg!? I wil translate it for you now and make a posting for this beneath...
    oh ok. i thought it looked more like Icelandic than Norwegian, but i just assumed it was Norwegian. i didn't even think about when this was written. thanks for the help!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member HIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 02:51 AM
    Location
    Kansas
    Age
    36
    Occupation
    Sleeping
    Posts
    504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hárbarđarson
    Here is this. But if you wish to learn the wisdom and beauty of Fjölsviđrs ways, I think on that you should learn His languages and understand His words from Him self and not another for what He tells of is as personall as tis wise for alltime.
    well, i bought some books on Icelandic a while back and i just now bought some language learning cd-roms on Icelandic and Norwegian, but i'd LOVE to learn old norsk!! what do you recommend i do to help me learn? i haven't seen much material on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Náttfari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    Wednesday, January 25th, 2006 @ 03:26 PM
    Location
    64°N 22°W
    Gender
    Occupation
    Student
    Posts
    456
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ţér, HIM, getit reynt at lćra forn-íslenzku, en varak yđr vit, ţat er erfitt ok krefjandi verkefni, ok vilk ţó heldr síđr at mađr af ţínu kyni lćri málit... forn-íslenzka er mín tunga, eigi yđvar.

  5. #5
    Břndern Ska Gjćnnoppstĺ Erlingr Hárbarđarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Location
    Fare well
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mađr hyggr sér alla vera
    Posts
    842
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HIM
    well, i bought some books on Icelandic a while back and i just now bought some language learning cd-roms on Icelandic and Norwegian, but i'd LOVE to learn old norsk!! what do you recommend i do to help me learn? i haven't seen much material on it.
    :laugh: Now you are mixing with every thing upp. Slow down before you hurt your self. I believe you are meaning old norse, or ancient icelandic. Norsk, bokmĺl osv. are different to ancient and modern icelandic. Step one: before you learn language, know what the language is called.



    Fřrst utvanna saa utrydda



  6. #6
    Senior Member HIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 02:51 AM
    Location
    Kansas
    Age
    36
    Occupation
    Sleeping
    Posts
    504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hárbarđarson
    :laugh: Now you are mixing with every thing upp. Slow down before you hurt your self. I believe you are meaning old norse, or ancient icelandic. Norsk, bokmĺl osv. are different to ancient and modern icelandic. Step one: before you learn language, know what the language is called.
    too late! i already have a headache now. :speechles haha! but you have a good point. i gotta know what i'm learning! anyways, i was thinking norse and norsk were synonomous. but i am very interested in learning any and/or all of the ancient and/or modern languages of scandinavia.

  7. #7
    Břndern Ska Gjćnnoppstĺ Erlingr Hárbarđarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Location
    Fare well
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mađr hyggr sér alla vera
    Posts
    842
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Náttfari
    Ţér, HIM, getit reynt at lćra forn-íslenzku, en varak yđr vit, ţat er erfitt ok krefjandi verkefni, ok vilk ţó heldr síđr at mađr af ţínu kyni lćri málit... forn-íslenzka er mín tunga, eigi yđvar.
    Ţađ lítur illa út. :laugh: Ég er sammála ţér. Hann er klikkađur og gerum ţađ besta úr ţessu. Hinsvergar, blóđ ţitt (mener HERs) er eitrađ ónorrćnni arfleifđ og mér líkar ţetta ekki.



    Fřrst utvanna saa utrydda



Similar Threads

  1. Learning Icelandic Language
    By HeidiStreich in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sunday, November 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM
  2. Learning Basque
    By Wynterwade in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
  3. Háfrónska (High Icelandic): An Ultra Pure Version of the Icelandic Language
    By Thulean Imperial Inquisitor in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Sunday, June 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •