Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: AW: Sv: A third of Icelanders see immigration as “big problem”

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperboreus View Post
    - The soldiers will soon be gone, I presume (?). Until 1990 only white Americans were allowed to stay at the Keflavik military base, as far as I know.
    That's very interesting - I googled it and found this from a multiculturalist Icelander:

More shameful for my nation is the fact that one clause of the original 1951 defense agreement that was never put on paper, but was nevertheless something that the conservative government of Iceland insisted on being enforced was that no black servicemen were to be sent to Keflavik. This information only became public very recently. There were even stories of black servicemen being sent to Keflavik by mistake only to be turned around when they landed, sometimes with families, told that their assignment here was a mistake and sent back to the US. African-Americans only became a fixture at the base in the '70s, even the late 70's I think.

I know, it´s a disgrace, but in our defence the public was totally unaware of it, and this was something men who were already old farts in the ´50s insisted on. That their motivations were racial is a certainty - they felt that there was enough outrage among the more prudish and nationalistic sectors of our society over the white dashing airmen sweeping our womenfolk off their feet and abducting them to Smallville, USA without adding interracial relationships to the mix. Also, the personell of the base enjoyed far less free reign in their spare time to leave the base than their WWII counterparts.
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436051

Last Online
    Friday, June 18th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Vandalic
    Ancestry
    Reidgotalandic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-SF View Post
    That's very interesting - I googled it and found this from a multiculturalist Icelander [...]
    Here's what Valur Ingimundarson writes in his article "Immunizing against the American Other: Racism, Nationalism, and Gender in U.S.-Icelandic Military Relations during the Cold War":

The 1951 U.S.-Icelandic Defense Agreement paved the way for a permanent U.S. military presence at the Keflavik base in Iceland, an outpost that played a crucial role in U.S. strategy during the Cold War. [Ingimundarson's] article explores two gender-related aspects of the U.S.-Icelandic Cold War relationship: the restrictions on off-base movements of U.S. soldiers, and the secret ban imposed by the Icelandic government on the stationing of black U.S. troops in Iceland. These practices were meant to "protect" Icelandic women and to preserve a homogeneous "national body." Although U.S. officials repeatedly tried tohave the restrictions lifted, the Icelandic government refused to modify them until the racial ban was publicly disclosed in late 1959. Even after the practice came to light, it took another several years before the ban was gradually eliminated. Misguided though the Icelandic restrictions may have been, they did, paradoxically, help to defuse domestic opposition to Iceland's pro-American foreign policy course and thus preserved the country's role in the Western alliance.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: A third of Icelanders see immigration as “big problem”

This agreement is pretty interesting. It lasted effective until the 90s, which is an odd considering the rampant PCness running since the mid-60s. This US-Iceland deal seems to come straight from the end of 19th century of early 20th.

I wonder how Icelanders saw that law. If one third now consider immigrant a big problem, I wonder what was the percentage of people agreeing with the law (which is pure segregation) back then.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 @ 11:17 PM
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have travelled alot, but I must say that I've yet to visit Iceland.

In my mind, (and from the pictures I've seen) I've always pictured Iceland as a Nordic paradise, ontouched by the problems of mainland Europe's clash-of-cultures, and populated with beautiful people and an even more beautiful nature scene.

I hope to visit Iceland soon, and no matter how non-PC it is, I hope Iceland remains homogenous and ontouched/pure for many many years to come.

(Atleast until I visit it)....I am joking, ofcourse.

To the Icelanders on this thread, Fyrirgefðu. Ég tala ekki íslensku svo vel.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 5th, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

“It has been revealed that comparatively Icelanders are more likely to commit crimes than foreigners,” Skúlason said.
    Is it just me, or do all pro-immigrant people use the "foreigners cause less crime" excuse?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 08:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Faroe Islands is the only country in the world that has no Muslims (and I doubt they have alien immigrants)...

Where's my passport?
    Some people are like a Slinky; not good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 08:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Spain/Italy/France
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Other Other
    Single
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grin Re: A third of Icelanders see immigration as “big problem”

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingOskorei View Post
    The Faroe Islands is the only country in the world that has no Muslims (and I doubt they have alien immigrants)...

Where's my passport?
    Not the only, I think Sealand and Seborga are good options for you

http://www.sealandgov.org/
    http://www.seborga.net/

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    It is!

For example, according to the Iceland Census 2005, there are less than 600 muslims living in Iceland. That is a percentage of under 0,1%.
    Anyway, the island drifts very very slightly into danger without a change in immigration policies. There are also some blacks, mostly in the capital city Reykjavik. Bot not really much. Most of them are US soldiers who are stationated on the island.

Further results of this census:

10,636 people (3.6% of the total population) had foreign citizenship. The most populous nationalities are Polish (1903), Danish (890), ex-Yugoslavians (670), Filipinos (647) and Germans (540).
    I thought the US bases had been closed. If not, why not? Do the Icelanders want US soldiers there? As for any other immigrants, again why? Of what positive benefit do they have to Iceland? I am not just talking about Africans and East Asian, why any white immigrants?

a.k.a. Slå ring om Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    State
    Arkansas Arkansas
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sv: Re: A third of Icelanders see immigration as “big problem”

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingOskorei View Post

Where's my passport?
    Must be heaven, soon they get automonous and stone rich on oil and gas too. Then the usurpators will be knocking at the gates, in hope to gret the Faroe population to support them and their innumerous breed.

I have also heard that there until now are no rats at the Faroes.

A nation like Faroes are even more vulnerable to foreighn uncultural immigration than Iceland.

If I had a Norwegian pension or something, I would consider to spend it there. Nice climate too.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 08:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Single
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Sv: Re: A third of Icelanders see immigration as “big problem”

Quote Originally Posted by Thore Hund View Post
    Must be heaven, soon they get automonous and stone rich on oil and gas too. Then the usurpators will be knocking at the gates, in hope to gret the Faroe population to support them and their innumerous breed.

I have also heard that there until now are no rats at the Faroes.

A nation like Faroes are even more vulnerable to foreighn uncultural immigration than Iceland.

If I had a Norwegian pension or something, I would consider to spend it there. Nice climate too.
    No rats, no skunks, no snakes, and no Muslims... the four things that annoy me the most.
    Some people are like a Slinky; not good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast