Thread: [SOLVED] Govt considers Iraq war tax

einsatzkommando

Post [SOLVED] Govt considers Iraq war tax

http://au.news.yahoo.com/020928/2/fzxh.html

The government appears to have left open the option of a special tax levy to fund involvement in any conflict with Iraq.

Prime Minister John Howard refused to rule out a war levy but said such consideration was hypothetical until the United Nations made a decision about its response.

"I'm focused at the moment on giving as much support as the government can to get a UN resolution, I'm not going to start hypothesising on what may or may not happen if that's not successful," he told reporters.

"Therefore talk of war and talk of ways of paying for that are completely hypothetical propositions. We're focused on trying to get a peaceful diplomatic outcome."

Opposition leader Simon Crean said Australians were already subject to enough tax levies.

"Now because it's run the budget dry it's talking about new taxes to fund the war effort," Mr Crean said on ABC radio.

"We were told before the election its defence capability could be funded out of the existing budget and now they're not ruling out a new tax."

The government has persistently refused to comment on Australian military involvement in any United States attack on Iraq.

It has said the United States has issued no invitation for Australian participation and any such invitation will be considered on its merits if and when received.

However, a special tax is not without precedent.

In 1996, the government increased the Medicare levy to fund its guns buyback.

In 2000, the government was all set to impose a tax levy of 0.5 per cent levy on those earning more than $50,000 - due to start on July 1 - to raise more than $900 million to pay for Australia's lead role in the peacekeeping force in East Timor.

Treasurer Peter Costello said at the time the tax was proposed to keep the budget in surplus.

But it turned out not be to be necessary following the smooth transition to United nations control of East Timor.

Mr Howard dismissed overnight comments by United States Democratic Senator Teddy Kennedy calling for a diplomatic rather than a military solution.

Asked what impact he thought Senator Kennedy's suggestion may have he replied: "Not a lot".

"The Australian government has a very strong position, and that position is to support the efforts of the Americans and the British to get a resolution through the (UN) security council.

"This issue won't go away by people willing it to go away."

MadMax88

Post Amazing!

Yeah I figured as much, tax the people, that is their solution, here in the cesspool country that I live in, I do not believe that we can take any more "tax" I personally am taxed to death! Here they have high property tax, payroll tax, tax on everything!. jeez! Dirty politician bastards!