Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latin Mass - Yes or No?

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    At the same time the Catholic church got rid of Latin and decided to put the mass in the vernacular they also made the priests face the congregation instead of always facing the altar like they had been doing.

The change was meant to include the churchgoers more rather than have it feel like you were a mere spectator. This change didn't happen too long ago. My mom said it was like the mass was being carried out and you just happened to be watching.

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 @ 04:49 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish and Alsatian
    Ancestry
    Scotland and Ascace-Lorriane
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Single adult
    Occupation
    analyst
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We shan't forget that there were many instances of Vikings who struggled, in their own Viking way, to establish Catholic churches in/around the 1100s. When a Viking would have a conversion, he quickly set the locals straight: if the aristocrats didn't provide the best for the Mass and the church itself, they would pillage their way in order to obtain whatever they needed. (Conversion is an on-going process!)

An emphatic "YES!" to the Latin Mass.

Here are just a few of my own reasons:
    1.) It is time tested and approved by the saints --- every, single one of them.
    2.) It was created organically, over nearly 2000 years, and never were substantial changes made to it --- except when the Novus Ordo came into being. The continuity is reflective of the theological continuity of doctrine and dogma which does not change, since God does not change. Compare the basic content of the Latin Mass (even as it is today) as compared to the Ambrosian Rite (the Mass as St. Ambrose celebrated in order to combat the Arian heresies which were very rampant in his time) --- they are basically the same.
    3.) It reflects most accurately the teachings of the Roman Catholic faith. The main purpose of the creation of the New Order Mass was to deflect from the Roman Catholic teachings that were unpopular and even offensive to non-Catholics. The idea was to "open the windows" to the "new world", not to maintain and preserve the liturgy which protected and represented her true teachings.
    4.) Far less rubric options: The priest who celebrates the Latin Mass has hardly a single opportunity to make it his own idea and thereby teach heresy.
    5.) It is dignified and reverent because it keeps its attention on God and away from the things that are transient/temporal and only to do with the culture of today. God is timeless, and the Latin Mass helps one to separate in his conscience the spirit of the world from the Spirit of God.
    6.) It is based on sound theological and philosophical principles, unlike the Novus Ordo which is largely influenced by immanentism* (*think: "We are Church" heresy).
    7.) Because it evolved over time with the main principle in mind to COMBAT the heresies of the present, rather than boastfully cave into their influence. It is of God because as protects His Church, therefore, it is of the hand of God and should not be altered. (Remember the punishments God imposed on His people for liturgical abuse or changing the rubrics of His ceremonies for the transporting of the Arc of the Covenant -- a swift death. A legacy which continued for a long time with the Jews before Christ, and is the reason why whatever priest was the celebrant had to wear a robe and bell around his ankle --- that if he made a mistake, the priests behind the veil could drag his then dead body away from the altar without risk to their own lives.) Its rubrics and language reflect its teachings to be universal: true for all peoples, for all places, and for all times. ***Edited for emphasis, with this point: It was even condemned that is should be tampered with or much less abrogated by Pope Pius V under the apostolic constitution "Quo Primum" from 14 July, 1570. In the bull Pope Pius V declared: "By this present Constitution, which will be valid henceforth, now, and forever, We order and enjoin that nothing must be added to Our recently published Missal, nothing omitted from it, nor anything whatsoever be changed within it." And he concluded: "No one whosoever is permitted to alter this notice of Our permission, statute, ordinance, command, precept, grant, indult, declaration, will, decree, and prohibition. Should anyone dare to contravene it, let him know that he will incur the wrath of Almighty God and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul."**

It really says something here, these posts that people who aren't even Catholic get it, yet it seems that most Catholics don't. That, in it of itself, is a product of the innovations which didn't open it's windows to those who didn't know the faith, but rather, largely confused those who were already Catholics.
    Last edited by Alsatia; Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Quo Primum --- forgot to mention

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 18th, 2009 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Ireland,Germany,
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grin My Veiw

I am converting to the catholic church and the Latin mass is more pretty (granted I've only seen it on ewtn once) then the normal mass today that we have a my church its sad that my church and other churches don't offer a Latin mass for the people that want one. That would prove I think to be the preverbed mass of my church. I wish I could just once in my life get to be apart of a Latin mass

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Yes to the Extraordinary Form of the Latin Rite, with the Mass celebrated ad orientum (versus populam) and where communicants kneel and receive communion on the tongue. But if the Ordinary Form of the Latin Rite is celebrated in Latin or with the responses in Latin, that's beautiful, too, but please just omit the Sign of Peace (GIRM says it's optional).
    “She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick.”
    ― Flannery O'Connor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    26 Minutes Ago @ 07:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Can't find that ceremony/tradition in the Holy Scriptures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12