Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Thumbs Down Whaling Permitted in Iceland

Minister of Fisheries, Einar K. Gudfinnsson, announced in parliament yesterday that commercial whaling in Iceland will resume after a 17 year ban.

Gudfinnsson made the decision in accordance with the government’s policy on sustainable whaling for the 2006-2007 hunting season. This is reported in all the main media.

The Minister of Fisheries decided to limit whaling to nine fin whales and 30 minke whales in addition to the 39 minkes that Iceland’s Marine Institute is allowed to hunt for scientific purposes in 2007.

According to mbl.is, the Marine Institute suggested that up to 400 minkes and 200 fin whales could be hunted yearly for sustainable whaling.

The Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) and the North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission (NAMMCO) have estimated how many whales there are in the Central North Atlantic.

According to their estimation, there are 25,800 fin whales and 43,600 minke whales in Icelandic waters. The Minister’s decision means that 0.2 per cent of all minkes can be hunted and only 0.04 per cent of all fin whales.

Other IWC member nations, including the USA, Norway, Japan and Greenland, hunt whales commercially in accordance with the Commission’s rules. Iceland became a member in 2002.

Bladid reports that the British government has criticized Iceland’s decision to resume whaling and urges the Minister of Fisheries to reconsider. The British government predicts that whaling will have negative effect on Iceland’s image.

Source
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Wink Iceland's wasteful whaling

Iceland leaves slaughtered whales to rot

Iceland slaughters 7 endangered fin whales, leaves half to rot

Greenpeace has uncovered more than 170 tons of rotting whale meat in an Icelandic dump site, just months after Iceland reopened commercial whaling and killed seven endangered fin whales. Another 200 tons of whale meat still remains in cold storage, unsold in the marketplace, and awaiting testing for chemical contamination. “Iceland claims their commercial whaling is sustainable – but how can they justify it when they are hunting endangered species, without domestic demand, and an over-supply of whale products in Japan?” said Greenpeace Nordic Oceans campaigner, Frode Pleym. “Both Iceland and Japan continue to whale in the face of domestic and international opposition, even though there is no scientific, economic or environmental justification for it,” added Pleym.

Even as these shocking discoveries have been revealed, the Japanese whaling fleet is hunting 935 minke whales and 10 more endangered fin whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary near Antarctica. In Japan too, stockpiles of up to 5,000 tons from previous hunts sit in cold storage, unsold.

“It is no surprise that there are massive stockpiles of whale meat, when a recent survey shows that 95 percent of Japanese people never or have rarely eaten whale meat. It is time for all governments to make a commitment to the whales and not an outdated, unwanted and pointless industry,” said Greenpeace Japan's campaign director, Junichi Sato.

On Thursday, the crew of the Greenpeace ship Esperanza will sail to the Southern Ocean, in order to put themselves between the harpoons and the whales.

source

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'll never support hunting endangered whales no matter if its the Japs or the Icelanders and I don't care about any 'cultural' reasons, this isnt 1007 its 2007 and its ridiculous that this still occurs.

Senior Member Linda Trostenhatten's Avatar
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 04:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Britain dissapointed with intentions for whaling

Britain has expressed dissapointment
    with allowing 40 whales to be captured
    this year and challengec reconsideration.
    PM Horde sais unfortunately we will
    have to disagree on this.

The manager of the campaign to
    get a seat in UN security council
    said it would have been better
    to make this desicion after the vote
    has gone thru. In Britain fisheries
    fall under the enironment ministery.

If you want to be consistent you have to be against all fishing whatsoever.

Bretar vonsviknir međ veiđiáform
    Bresk stjórnvöld eru vonsvikin međ
    ákvörđun íslenskra stjórnvalda um
    hrefnuveiđar og skora á ríkisstjórn
    Íslands ađ falla frá veiđiáformunum.
    Geir Haarde forsćtisráđherra segir ađ
    ţađ verđi ađ hafa ţađ ţó Bretar séu
    andvígir veiđunum.

Kosningastjóri frambođs Íslands til
    Öryggisráđs Sameinuđu ţjóđanna segist
    hafa kosiđ ađ ekki yrđi gefinn út kvóti
    nú ţegar stutt er í ađ valiđ verđi í
    ráđiđ. Breska sjávarútvegsráđuneytiđ er
    hluti af umhverfisráđuneytinu.
    Talsmađur ţess gaf út yfirlýsingu í dag
    ţar sem segir ađ bresk stjórnvöld séu,
    líkt og áđur, afar vonsvikin međ ţá
    ákvörđun íslenskra stjórnvalda ađ gefa
    út kvóta til veiđa á 40 hrefnum í ár.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whaling

Why ? Whales aren't fish.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You know I had this discussion with my sister the biologist. I said whales were fish but she sad they didn't. She didn't tell me anything I don't know. Whales are called fish in the old books. If you had told them that these were mamals but the other ones something else they wudn't have cared. Anything that swims in the ocean has no legs or arms and so on is a fish. These are really stupid animals. Their brain is maybe as big as one eye. But anyhow there is nothing special about them. A whale doesn't suffer more than a cod or something.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...40217720080603
    U.S. urges Norway, Iceland to end whale meat exports
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Tuesday urged Iceland and Norway to cease exporting whale meat to Japan, which they have resumed for the first time since the early 1990s despite a United Nations ban.

"The United States is deeply disappointed in the reports of recent shipments of whale meat to Japanese commercial markets from Iceland and Norway," State Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper said.
    These animals are not going extinct and whaling is no less humane than any other form of capturing animals.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

EU Integration, Iceland's Desperation

Maybe it would be more fulfilling for Norway to form a different kind of union, similar to Kalmar, but between all the nations of the North, who would form an alternative to the EU. Basically, those lands under the rule of Knud den Store should reunite in a permanent alliance and customs union, with the same currency of crowns/kronor, educational and court system with support for local languages, etc. The royal family should be elected from natives and not have the people suffer foreign rulers at any time, such as what happened when William of Normandy and Albert of Mecklenburg (although both originally of Nordic origin, before Frankish vassalage and integration) took over England and Sweden, forcing the North to become dependencies of the Franks and their neo-Romanist agenda, which is what we have now with the neo-Carolingian EU. At least, even if the North is to be part of the EU, it should have its own council. Imagine if the Pope had long ago provided for a Patriarch of the North--perhaps that would have made it so there would be no necessity of a Reformation, or even if the Reformation was absolutely necessary, it might have meant a formal Protestant union. Unfortunately, politicians often make no explicit provision for the North in common, because local individualism habitually ignores commonality and thus, it is neglected by being held under siege by more powerful Continental entities.

I think it would be much more comfortable a situation, if the North were its own unified entity, with the only foreigners invited being European, rather than all of Europe unified, with all kinds of foreigners to Europe coming in. It's a different level of integration, with corresponding definitions of native and foreign. Unfortunately, "Europeanism" means nothing of the sort. I know of the Nordic Council, but it and the British Isles ought to come to terms, like what the Porvoo Communion has been making efforts towards. Some might oppose connections because of the thought that absolute separatism of nations is better, or believe Finland is somehow more Nordic than Ireland, but each is equally Nordic in its own way. If one were to place political bias in the way, then Sweden's attachment to Poland-Lithuania and even Russia (via Finland) would be a severe hamper on relations with the rest of the North. England has already been conditioned to reject France and Germany, as well as other Continental nations which have had political ties to them. England was willing to demolish Dresden to put forth the point that they won't be dictated to by the foreign dynasty, the Windsors from Saxony who were in power at the time of WWII. This shows why there is no empathy for claims of "Allied war crimes" against England.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 24th, 2018 @ 12:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic-Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd prefer a loose security-based alliance between Europe and Russia to replace NATO and the EU. With absolutely no central government like the EU parliament and solely focusing on the defence of the Euro-Russo landmass from military and immigration invasions.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Somebody royally screwed up two threads by merging them. I personally would like to see the old whaling ports of New England get the love they deserve and I think Star Trek IV was a horrible movie. I prefer In the Heart of the Sea, Moby Dick and Orca. I would like to eat whale meat. I'm not sure about seal meat, since it's a sea dog and I don't eat dogs.