advanced tribalism
    Religion
    scientific pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question A Question about Halstatt Cephalic Index

Hallstatt nordic populations of the iron age possed a CI 0f 71-73 on the dry skull when found in pure groups and no evince of roundheads. Today the average hallstatt has a CI of 76-78 on the living skull. My question is/ Is there a difference between taking measurements on living and dry skulls, like do living skull's CI inflate by 2 points or more because of tissue and the skull condition itself or is it just because of slight influence of rounder-headed strains?

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Post Re: I have a question about CI

Quote Originally Posted by nordic_canadian_male
    Hallstatt nordic populations of the iron age possed a CI 0f 71-73 on the dry skull when found in pure groups and no evince of roundheads. Today the average hallstatt has a CI of 76-78 on the living skull. My question is/ Is there a difference between taking measurements on living and dry skulls, like do living skull's CI inflate by 2 points or more because of tissue and the skull condition itself or is it just because of slight influence of rounder-headed strains?

From my understanding, one should deduct 1-2 points from the cephalic index of a living person to get an idea of what their cranial index would be if it weren't for all that pesky hair and skin. For example, a living person with a cepahlic index of 75 would have a cranial index of 73-74. I've never scalped anyone to reckon the validity of this, so I can only trust the experts who used to write books on matters concerning anthropometry. Coon mentions this in TRoE and I believe that I've also read it in other works (can't remember exactly where at the moment).

Also, it's been shown many times that CIs increased steadily from the Middle Ages until recent times in many parts of Europe. The question surrounding this is whether or not the increase in CI is the result of incoming populations, the result of some unknown selective device, or something completely else...

Last Online
    Thursday, November 20th, 2008 @ 08:58 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: I have a question about CI

Quote Originally Posted by nordic_canadian_male
    Specific CI point for Nordic race is 77, while 69 for Mediterranean. Neolithic Population of Sweden was a mixture of 48,3% Nordic, 42,3% Med and 9,4% Lapponoidal races.