Politics
    This and That
    Religion
    Asatru/Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i found the Beowulf and Grendel with Gerald Butler great it was almost true to life all it needed was to remove the Random christian priest, but still it was worth watching. but the hollywood one i have recently watched and disgusted by the whole thing it made the Nordic people look like savages and drunk fools.

it makes them look foolish and it was cheesy and i found a waste of time
    In order to build Odinism into a valid and inspiring religious expression we must overcome this tendency to trivialise divinity. The gods are not Vikings…they are spiritual beings, potent forces of numinous power"
    (Odinic Rite)

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pity that. I will go along on Saturday to the 3D theatre, just out of curiosity.
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 @ 02:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic/Romance/ Raised by Nordics and Celts
    Subrace
    Celtic/Romance
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Actor/Drama Student/Waiter
    Politics
    This and That
    Religion
    Asatru/Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the movie is full of mistakes and found it boring it portraded the Nordic people and short and fat people that drink and womanise to much
    In order to build Odinism into a valid and inspiring religious expression we must overcome this tendency to trivialise divinity. The gods are not Vikings…they are spiritual beings, potent forces of numinous power"
    (Odinic Rite)

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I agree that Beowulf & Grendel was a great setting movie. Butler's beowulf was a very interesting guy. More of a modern senability than I expected.

re:2007 Sorry to hear that you disliked it so strongly SIlvanus. I wonder why the drinking, sex (none on camera but frequently talked about), dirt (less than I expected) and bragging bother you so much. It is centered around a mead hall not a meditation hall or temple. The NNV were not posted in every bank and school. Even with the character flaws I found it to be nonoffensive. (Unlike 13th Warrior which I will only watch on mute. I perfer rough & tumble characters to someone whining about how uncililized everyone is while oggling the women.)

They added several love/sex interests to Beowulf and removed Hothgar's heirs.The parts in Old english are spot on quotes. The clothes, weapons and food all seem fairly accurate. I have not taken anthropology and medieval studies so there are probably some mistakes I missed.

Forð near ætstop,
    bana blodigtoð. Ða Beowulf astod,
    ond him fæste wiðfeng; fingras burston.
    Se grimma gast, Grendel wæs hinfus,
    utweard wolde fleon. Yrre wæron begen,
    reþe renweardes. Reced hlynsode.
    Beowulf se bald, bearn Ecgþeow,
    hine hæfde be honda; wæs gehwæþer oðrum
    lifigende lað. Licsar gebad
    se atol Grendel, him on eaxle wearð
    syndolh sweotol, seonowe onsprungon,
    burston banlocan. Beowulfe wearð
    guðhreð gyfeþe;

Translation:

"He stepped near, the bloody-toothed slayer. Then Beowulf stood, and seized him fast; fingers burst. The grim spirit, Grendel was eager to escape, outward would flee. Both were enraged, full of fury. The hall echoed. Beowulf the bold, son of Ecgtheow, had him by the hand; each to the other was hateful alive. The wretched Grendel suffered body-pain; on his shoulder was a huge wound, the sinews sprang apart the bone-locks burst. Beowulf was given battle-victory."
    Karl Hagen had to compress it but I think he did a great job in 90 seconds screen time,
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid/Keltic admixture + CM
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    F*ck politics!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've seen Beowulf(2007) two times now in the cinema. I think it's a great movie, though there are several things which are in my opinion way to extreme. Such as grendels look and Beowulf's attitude. They're both made in a Ho(jew)llywood way which is not really orgininal. But for the rest it was a great movie.
    Germanic Ethnic, Cultural, Spiritual and Racial preservation

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Watched the movie today. Filmtechnical it was a good work and I liked the way the old Beowulf moorned the passing of the age of heroes and it replaced by the age of martyrs with their feelings of guild. Fightingscenes where also good. Alto Beowulf should at least worn some clothes. Alse Grendel looked more like a zombie then the monster I imagend.

The things I didn't like was Hrodgar being Grendel father, the whole Jolie seducing Beowulf scene and she wasn't killed. Also Wiglag at the end should at least had trown the horn to her head under the motto keep your cursed horn.

Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 02:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Northwest Europe
    Subrace
    Dalo-Faelid w/ Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Representative Town Meeting
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well, I just saw it (Beowulf 2007) last night. I was overall very pleased, mostly because a movie has been released with heathen references and in such a fashion as to spark interest with the youth and old celto/germanic population here. That is the most important part, aside from the fact that there were obvious deviations from the original story. You have to realize that in America, people are zombies to TV and the cinema, so I think it was good fortune to release something like this instead of a new bestselling that was a simple retelling, for instance. When people hear the Anglo-Saxon (it sounds so much like Norse :p) they will want to know what it means, creating more potential followers of Germanic preservation!

Graphically, I loved it. The dragon was outstanding, the best looking one I've ever seen made by computers. All the characters were very lifelike, especially the close-ups. However the blood looked silly (kind of like jello), Grendel was a bit... challenged... and the movements were unnatural a stiff.

As with the plot and story, even though it was changed a bit, the message was good; sometimes people's mistakes come back to haunt them, so they must come back and destroy them in order to be a true hero. This kind of struck me hard, because of certain things that have gone on in my life that I need to address. Only strength and perseverance will bring me there. It kind of reminded me of some stories of the Havamal.. so in that way I enjoyed it even more, leaving the theatre refeshed. A worthy attempt to glorify the Gods that had only neutral or negative references of Christianity :p. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope I can see it again at an IMAX.

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 @ 02:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic/Romance/ Raised by Nordics and Celts
    Subrace
    Celtic/Romance
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Actor/Drama Student/Waiter
    Politics
    This and That
    Religion
    Asatru/Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i agree with most of your opinon its good to have youth interested in Germanic/Nordic history and myth but it depicted the Danes as short fat people a bit Primitive and the random change to christianity wasnt needed
    (Odinic Rite)

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Just saw the movie today.

Overall I thought it was good, though the action scenes I thought were too cartoonish. I guess as they are trying to portray a legend as it was told, and thus the actions scenes more like a comic book or fantasy movie, as opposed to the approach taken in The 13th Warrior in which they attempted to portray a realistic scenario (remnants of Neanderthals) responsible for the Beowulf legend. I would still prefer to have more realistic/less cartoonish combat scenes even if fighting legendary creatures.

I thought the portrayal of the Germans/Geats/Danes was good and positive. Yes, they were violent and warlike, but that's the way they were back then, and we were like this up until the past 2-3 generations or so.

The movie has a few anti-Christian references. The placement of Christianity is not historically incongruous, as the legend of Beowulf dates to around the 8th century, and Christianity began to spread into Germany in the 7th-9th centuries.

The part of Grendel's mother deviating from the traditional interpretation of the movie I think adds an extra element to the story, and does not detract from it.

Seeing it in 3D IMAX is awesome
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My daughter and I went to the 3D Imax on Saturday. I've never seen a 3D movie in full - it's always been partial. I was totally blown away at the effects, to the point that I initially felt a bit dizzy. That settled, all good.

I didn't really like the way Grendel looked, but that is just my take on it, and I'm glad Angelina's part wasn't too big Beowulf came across as sounding more like a yobbo than a king, the accent somehow didn't seem to suit! LOL

There wasn't a lot of the Christian ideology, of which I was glad. They were a tough breed of people and I'm glad it was kept to that context. I especially liked the drinking hall

Although it wasn't fully true to the text, it would hopefully spark some interest in those who would read up on it. A Heathen revival wouldn't hurt either!

Heil
    Jenni
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567