Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Has A Horse/Horses? / Do You Enjoy Riding Horses?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Does Merlin have some problems with his forehand? He looks a bit overbuilt.
    We had a horse with the same exterieur and it was almost impossible to get is backhand working and to place it under the barycentre. He just ran on his forehand which had bad effects on his back musculature, joints, erection and clarity of gaits. He just wasn't able to push himself from the back, "fell apart" while riding and wasn't able to keep tension.

He was a promising foal, with a lot of power and five gaited, but during his growth he got a really bad exterieur. He was finally sold to a "leisure time rider", although he had the potential to become a competition horse. He never found a constant tact in Tölt. That was a pity...
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 7th, 2006 @ 01:24 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rose of rohan
    How tall is Merlin? He looks huge for an Arab! The one I used to loan was only about 14.2hh!
    He's actually quite a bit taller than the average Arab... Merlin stands at 16 hands, yet the common (ideal) size of Arabians is generally about 14.2-15 hh... still, I've seen Arabians much taller than Merlin. My mother, in fact, has a prize winning, black Arab stud stallion that is a gigantic 17 hands, and one of the mares that he sired is 16.2 hands... though the breed has a common size standard, there are always, of course, exceptions. Merlin's height was one of the main reasons I purchased him... he has the most amazing, sweet-natured personality, and this incredible height, that I've always thought of him as a gentle giant, of sorts.

Does Merlin have some problems with his forehand? He looks a bit overbuilt.
    He is somewhat overbuilt, but I really think that this has to do with the fact that his body is so much larger than what is common for his breed, while his head, legs, and hooves are sized more accordingly for a horse that stands in the 15 hand range. When I was in the process of purchasing him, I had my Arab-breeder friend take a look at his conformation, as I was worried that, due to the relationship between his large build/gracile limb structure, he might have performance problems in the future if the alignment of his bones and joints was "off", and I was concerned that there might even be a possibility of lameness as he aged... I've seen this happen in horses with conformation problems, thus my initial trepidation with Merlin. In her opinion, for his size he is adequately (though not ideally) balanced and proportional, and the weight distribution between the forehand and the hindquarters is sufficiently even... also, he doesn't have any angular deformities, any bowing of the fetlock, or any signs of "paddling" (when a horse's forelimb interferes with the opposite hindlimb during movement), etc., and his hoof and pastern angle are practically identical, and in complete alignment. Really, he has absolutely no conformation problems or abnormalities, whatsoever.

One thing that is pecuiliar with Merlin, though, is the fact that his croup sits so much higher than the whithers, where they should actually be quite equal in height... although it doesn't seem to affect him negatively, as one might think it would, his "pointy" croup does make him look like his back sinks really deep, when it actually doesn't... I've always teased him about it, calling him Swayback, or Pointy Butt... of course, he just sticks his nose high in the air, and gives me a condescending snort.

In all actuallity, Merlin is an extremely graceful, swift, and gentle ride... I don't ride English, only Western, and for what I like to do he is more than adequate... mostly, I do my riding in the forest, and for manuevering through thick undergrowth and climbing up steep embankments he is probably the most agile of my three horses. Even though he is built rather bulky, and unconventional, he is unexpectedly nimble and dexterous, which makes riding him an absolute joy. I'm really thankful that he doesn't have any problems, as I fell in love with him the moment I saw him and knew that he was just the right guy for me. (why can't finding a man be so easy?!)

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 8th, 2006 @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course every girl loves horses!! Yeah yeah. I ride and show, and gone to Germany three times to train..bla bla bla. Maybe I put up some pics later like you guys did. When I was younger a bunch of us girls would take a bus from Fredrikstad to Oslo to see horse shows. Yeah!

Last Online
    Sunday, September 10th, 2006 @ 11:07 PM
    Country
    England England
    PC job now - horses from Sept!
    Politics
    on the right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Svanhild
    Of course every girl loves horses!! Yeah yeah. I ride and show, and gone to Germany three times to train..bla bla bla. Maybe I put up some pics later like you guys did. When I was younger a bunch of us girls would take a bus from Fredrikstad to Oslo to see horse shows. Yeah!
    Post the pics!!!!

Must admit I do like men in jodphurs and riding boots....anyone else?!?!

Interesting about Merlin - my horse came to me from Ireland totally unschooled, he would not even pick up his feet. Its taken me about a year to get him sorted, and I've just started jumping and boy he is showing promise!

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do You Enjoy Riding Horses?

Do you enjoy riding horses? And how often do you ride? I got my first pony when I was 8 years old. Latter on I became interested with the Equestrians sport, but my interest on the sport only stayed until I was 15 years old.Because it always about competitions also the same time my brother passed away. Now whenever I visit my grandparents it gives me enormous pleasure just taking them for a ride but not for competitions.

Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I've started horse riding when I was 9, since then I've did that every summer ocasionally, though more seriously Ive started 3years ago. There was a Holsteiner at the stable where I was going and I rode him, mostly.
    In the later years I didn't really have time for it but Im looking forward to go back this summer. I kind of miss it.

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Do You Enjoy Riding Horses?

How much alcohol has been consumed?
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Last Online
    Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've done it once or twice as a kid, in a controlled line of other kids on horseback. It was still pretty cool. When I move to the country it would be pretty cool to get a horse and learn to ride it, but they're very expensive I think. If I have a boat and still have can afford it i guess I'll get one.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    How much alcohol has been consumed?
    Now seriously, are you serious? :p

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I'm not into it myself, though my sisters particularly one of them, is.I think they have about two or three brood mares atm, which are kept at home on the family farm and which my mother ends up looking after. The idea is to get the mares in foal and then sell the foals. However it never seems to work out profitably... what a surprise. eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    If I have a boat and still have can afford it i guess I'll get one.
    If it's a hobby you want I'd stick with the boat idea, if I were you. I imagine you could have fantastic adventures in an ocean going yacht, you could probably learn to sail cheaply enough and then hire a boat for voyages. Or perhaps you'd choose a motorboat and cruise lakes and inland waterways, stopping for meals at small towns along the way, that doesn't sound like a bad pastime either.. Then when you've had enough, you can just "moor'er up" and forget all about it until your next outing.

Keeping a horse on the other hand, while not costing as much as a yacht in monetary terms requires constant work and involves almost endless complications. It's more of a way of life than a hobby.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast