Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afrocentrist News Writer deems the LOTR Trilogy "racist", claims Matrix is better

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 @ 09:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian/Ruthenian
    Subrace
    Pontid/North Pontid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Politics
    Eurocentric Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink Afrocentrist News Writer deems the LOTR Trilogy "racist", claims Matrix is better

'Lord of the Rings' vs. 'Matrix': Patriarchy vs. the Rainbow Coalition

Commentary, Andrea Lewis,
    Pacific News Service, Jan 05, 2004

Editor's Note: The last installment of "The Lord of the Rings" presently rules the box office, but to the writer, it's an old vision of white patriarchy. She prefers the "Matrix" series' multi-racial worldview.

The "Lord of the Rings" and "Matrix" trilogies have defined early 21st century cinema more than any other big-screen flicks. But as critical acclaim has increased with each new hobbit-filled "Rings" installment, the "Matrix" films have fallen from favor. "Return of the King" is hailed as "glorious," "a triumph," and "masterful," while "Matrix Revolutions" is ridiculed as "dismal," "pompous," and "underwhelming."

Like most, I was entertained and awed by the artistry and technical achievements of "The Return of the King," but by the end of the film's 3.5 hours I thought the final chapter should have been dubbed "The Return of the Patriarchy."

The "Rings" films are like promotional ads for those tired old race and gender paradigms that were all the rage back in author J.R.R. Tolkien's day. Almost all of the heroes of the series are manly men who are whiter than white. They are frequently framed in halos of blinding bright light and exude a heavenly aura of all that is Eurocentric and good. Who but these courageous Anglo-Saxon souls can save Middle Earth from the dark and evil forces of the world?

On the good side, even the mighty wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen) is sanitized and transformed from the weed-smoking, rather dingy figure we first meet in the "The Fellowship of the Ring," into Gandalf the White, who, by the time of "Return of the King," has become a powerful military leader complete with pure white hair and an Eisenhower attitude.

Say what you will about the convoluted storyline of the "Matrix" trilogy. At least those films give women and people of color some characters they can relate to.

From its earliest scenes, "The Matrix" flips mainstream Hollywood's minority representation manual on its head. A multi-culti group of hackers dressed in black leather and sporting funky hairdos are our heroes; Secret Service-type "agents" in suits and ties are the bad guys. Neo, the trilogies' central figure, is played by mixed-race actor Keanu Reeves. His savior and mentor is Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), a powerful leader who also happens to be a black man. The wisest figure in "The Matrix" is The Oracle, a warm and witty African American woman. The films are also infused with a strong sense of Asian style and culture, exemplified by the character Seraph (Collin Chou), the Oracle's protector, who is both a martial arts expert and Buddhist meditation practitioner.

Physically powerful female characters also rock and rule in "The Matrix," led by the high-kicking Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), the Emma Peel of the 21st century, daring pilot Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith) and military wife turned fighter Zee, (played by Marvin's daughter Nona Gaye).

Most of the really bad guys in "The Matrix" are Eurotrash, including the very snobby Merovingian (Lambert Wilson) with his French accent, the dread-locked, very British albino twins (Neil and Adrian Rayment) and the Oracle's evil counterpart, The Architect, (Helmut Bakaitis), a rather stuffy and pompous white guy with white beard and white suit who reeks of imperialism.

By comparison, three women play minor roles in "The Lord of the Rings": the powerful elf Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), the selfless Arwen (Liv Tyler), who is willing to give up immortality for the man she loves, and Eowyn (Miranda Otto), the niece of the king who must disguise herself as a man to go into battle. Beyond this threesome, the rest of the women of Middle Earth are largely an unwashed, helpless mass who, in the face of a virtually hopeless battle against overwhelming enemy forces in "The Two Towers," can do little more than look anxious and cower with their children in fear.

Plenty of critics got lost in the complex post-modern philosophy of "The Matrix," but a few noted its more important message. As the New York Times said of the second Matrix installment: "'Reloaded'" has one of the most excitingly subversive and radical points of view ever seen in a major motion picture -- a postmodern purview that accords philosophical ideals from people of color equal weight."

"The Return of the King" is a fantastic finish to a memorable film trilogy, but on a personal level, I was much more satisfied with the conclusion of "The Matrix" series. For once, the major female characters in an action film aren't whimpering and waiting to be rescued by some steroid-laden Schwarzenegger-type in the end. For once, all of the major characters of color aren't lying in a heap of corpses as the credits start to roll. To my African American female eyes, the biggest difference between "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Matrix" isn't swords versus automatic weapons, or low-tech versus high-tech. It's the patriarchy of the past versus the Rainbow Coalition of the future.

PNS contributor Andrea Lewis (jazzdiva@earthlink.net) is a San Francisco-based writer and co-host of the "Morning Show" on KPFA-FM 94.1 in Berkeley, Calif.
    Read more about this story here.

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/vie...735aa7975fda12

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian/Ruthenian
    Subrace
    Pontid/North Pontid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Politics
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heh,

Maybe in a few years, enough of these reactionaries like Mrs. Lewis will put so much pressure on Hollywood that the Lord of the Rings movies will come with Ethnic Friendly versions.

The Hobbits can be "Los Hobitos" - they enjoy siestas, cerveza & smoking...their carts ride low to the ground and they carry Lambas Tamales for long trips...seldom do they venture out of their "Barrio of the Chire"

The Lidels of Lohan would live East of Moldol. They have the best laundry service in all of Middle Earth, and their people would resemble the cast of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. They'd also be in charge of all of the liqour stores and nail sallons.

Da Thugs from Gondor don't play. Stryder "G" (A.K.A. L'Aragorn) & "Big Boi" Boromir would represent Minas T. to the fullest in Da Fellowship Crew. Speaking of the former "White City", it was an excellent canvas for the Middle Earth grafitti artists to tag their favorite walls. During the movie, P.I.M.2D.Pippin would drop a dope freestyle beatbox rap to the delight of O.G. DeNeThorburn...

Oh God how I hate the PC age!! ing1:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wasn't there a thread on this already some time ago ?!?

So some affirmative action, token negress is allowed to attend university, and since these patrarchy/heteroracistsexism/destroy-the-Western-civilisation type of courses are the only she can hope to comprehend, she attends them, and learns to throw a few buzzwords around. So what?

Besides, of course blacks will prefer the Matrix over LotR, just as naturally as I prefer LotR over Matrix. It's just that I don't feel the need to use some meanignless deconsructionist bs to justify my preference.

Last Online
    Friday, July 10th, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Token blacks are horribly distracting; plot or not. For the Matrix, it was a poorly scripted attempt to shove a lot of minorities in a film to boost images, I feel. Lord Of The Rings had a good story mixed with excellent acting and direction; some of the scenes were touching; I got choked up on some of the battle scenes actually, because of their demonstration of unity against their common enemy.

They do this a lot in children's programs. I don't watch them intentionally(!!!!), but on days when my sister asks me to watch her children, there it is. It seems that it doesn't seem complete without the token minority in it; usually a black kid and an asian girl (only asian girls; I can't think of an instance where it was an asian boy acted as the token asian.) It is utterly frustrating to watch; the only ones that I feel more comfortable digesting for both myself and for my nephews are ones with animals and just animals. (Except one, where they named all of the characters after black or Spanish names; and they dared to have an episode where they acted like Vikings!)

(Actually, I don't think the amount of television the little ones are exposed to is good for them, but that is another matter.)

Believe me, Ms. Lewis should stop complaining. Lord Of The Rings was genuinely good; she can stop faking it with her so-called good vibes that came from those abominations of films entitled "The Matrix". The airwaves are so infected with tokenism and her "Rainbow Coalition of the future", it is heartbreaking. More effort is placed into appealing to minorities than making quality programs.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    In advance,
    PARDON MY FRENCH! I have been known to behave myself, but this goes on step too far.
    [RANT MODE]

Get a f**king grip, world. Tolkiens book was written in 1954, plus he can fill any characters in he wants. Tolkien has also stretched often enough that none of his works contain ANY political allegory whatsoever.

Plus, better have a monoracial film. Look what the f**k they did with the Beowulf movie they're making!!!! They're having a negro savage play Beowulf, the Prince of the Geats. In general, an insult to especially British people, but generally Northern European people. They're taking our bloody culture away by their PC bullshit, and I'm so f**king fed up with it.

Tolkien's main characters are male whites. So f**king what?! It is talking about an INVENTED world, we all know it is partially based upon his obsession with northern mythology and English history. It also presents a time (medievalstyled) where women do not have much of a say. So what?! I know plented of women who enjoyed LOTR, but it's always those feminist negro ones that just can't keep their bloody trap shut!!! When will they bloody learn that it doesn't matter if a film only features white people?! : :speechles

[/RANT MODE]
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    And the whole topic of those Negro peoples reminds me of the song that is just playing:

Norther - YDKS (You Don't Know Shit)
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian/Ruthenian
    Subrace
    Pontid/North Pontid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Politics
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    In advance,
    PARDON MY FRENCH! I have been known to behave myself, but this goes on step too far. [RANT MODE][/RANT MODE]
    Sometimes it's good to let your frustration out. The first reaction is normally the correct one!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2006 @ 08:08 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The racial makeup of the Matrix is misleading, for the vast majority of the remaining human (if we can call it that) population is Negroid and other non-white types. Even tho Neo is not fully white, played by the mixed Asian-white Keanu Reeves, he and the rest of the handful of whites could not exist unless they practiced extreme racism in the form of selective mating. So ultimately you would have a vast mixed Negroid population. At that point, who would they have to blame for all of their problems?

Last Online
    Sunday, January 15th, 2006 @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    They'd blame the Matrix perhaps?
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -God

"But once you are done complaining, whining and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of our one other Great Canadian Freedom ... the right to leave."
    -Mayor Paul Dulmage of Carleton Place

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon Southron
    Ancestry
    Angelcynn/Gaeilge/Deutsch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    coal miner
    Politics
    Folkish/Libertarian/Secessionist
    Religion
    Heathen (Fyrnsidu/"Odinist")
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ha, huge Tolkien fan here, books first then flicks. I believe I've read that tripe (article). Coloreds just can't stand be left out of something even if it has nothing to do with them. The ridiculous little article doesn't bother me, the pollution and defamation of the great work of cultural heritage of my ancestors, one of my all-time favorites and very important to me as evidenced by user-name: BEOWULF! :SuttonHoo DOES severely aggravate me!! tef: :angryfis: ing1: Gratuitous smilie abuse there...
    "Yet Thomas Jefferson’s interest in the Saxon heritage went far beyond matters of philology. He held that the forward movement of British settlement in North America was a continuation of the original migration of Hengist and Horsa. It was all part of the vigorous expansion of a superior group of people. Jefferson even went so far as to suggest that the form of government being adopted in the emerging United States represented a restoration of the sublime Anglo-Saxon principles..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast