Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

The "Blank" Rune (or "Wyrd")

The Blank Rune is also called Wyrd (pronounced "weird"), which is the collective name given to the Norns, the three goddesses or fates of Teutonic mythology. The Norns rule over the karma that each person has accrued during his or her incarnation. Wyrd indicates fate-those events that are fated or inevitable. They cannot be evaded, no matter what you do. Those events indicated in the Rune reading may be good or bad, and the other runes in the cast will determine the nature of the event.
    Forget it!

The Blank Rune is non-existent. Total nonsense. We can thank Ralph Bum and his commercially popular but historically inaccurate Book of Runes for the introduction of the "blank rune" in the 1980's. It is still used by those who are new or not familiar with the Elder Futhark.

There is no historical evidence that runemasters of old ever used a blank rune. It's self-evident because a rune is a symbol, not the token that carries it. Have you ever seen a blank symbol? Of course not, that's an oxymoron.

The Blank Rune sometimes also is called "Odin's Rune". Also complete false. Like the Wyrd Rune would be Perthro, Odin's Rune would be Ansuz. Having a blank with such meanings is pointless and repetitive.

The three Ættir are balanced and equal - three rows with eight in each set.

In the history of using the Runes, a dot ( · ) or two ( : ) was placed between words formed. You wouldn't and could not assign a meaning to the ' ' between words. A blank rune makes no sense, no matter what angle you look at it.
    Lík börn leika best.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 11th, 2007 @ 10:53 PM
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid? + East-Baltid?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Aagh! Blum! An audible sneer escapes me at the sight of that book. Whenever I meet a poor dupe I try and dissuade them of it's mere presence (especially if they are selling it!), their reaction to my information tells me alot about them;-)

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 @ 06:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    anglo saxon
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    White Boy
    Politics
    Free Thinker
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I try to steer clear of anything "neo", and that includes this so-called blank rune. I, too, have never encountered any mention of,or allusion to, a blank rune in anything I have read, except Blum's book.

Last Online
    Sunday, October 19th, 2008 @ 01:05 PM
    health care worker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

blank rune?

The blank rune is complete guff.

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The blank rune just tries to make mysterious and remote those life forces that are open and connected to us. So it's inclusion is opposite the origin, history and purpose of the runes.

But pretending that natural forces are mysterious, empty and inaccessible is the ancient christian strategy; once you're separated from your nature, the false vacuum can be filled by a rejection of reality. The blank works to replace the active questioning of the natural world with debilitating self-doubt. There's a difference b/n using the runes to ask "What is happening?" and using them to affirm "I can't possibly know."

This thing should be called the Wedge Tile since it's intent is to separate us from understanding and the natural world.

Besides, if you did make your own tiles (as I did, of maple), once you blood them, the blank is no longer blank; it's a piece of wood with blood on it--and what sense could that possibly make?

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The blank rune just tries to make mysterious and remote those life forces that are open and connected to us. So it's inclusion is opposite the origin, history and purpose of the runes.

But pretending that natural forces are mysterious, empty and inaccessible is the ancient christian strategy; once you're separated from your nature, the false vacuum can be filled by a rejection of reality. The blank works to replace the active questioning of the natural world with debilitating self-doubt. There's a difference b/n using the runes to ask "What is happening?" and using them to affirm "I can't possibly know."

This thing should be called the Wedge Tile since it's intent is to separate us from understanding and the natural world.

Besides, if you did make your own tiles (as I did, of maple), once you blood them, the blank is no longer blank; it's a piece of wood with blood on it--and what sense could that possibly make?

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Contented
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Areligious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks! I'm glad to read this. I thought it was just me. I could never fit the "blank rune" in. It seemed to defy the geometry of the EF.

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    nordic.
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    Forget it!

The Blank Rune is non-existent. Total nonsense. We can thank Ralph Bum and his commercially popular but historically inaccurate Book of Runes for the introduction of the "blank rune" in the 1980's. It is still used by those who are new or not familiar with the Elder Futhark.

There is no historical evidence that runemasters of old ever used a blank rune. It's self-evident because a rune is a symbol, not the token that carries it. Have you ever seen a blank symbol? Of course not, that's an oxymoron.

The Blank Rune sometimes also is called "Odin's Rune". Also complete false. Like the Wyrd Rune would be Perthro, Odin's Rune would be Ansuz. Having a blank with such meanings is pointless and repetitive.

The three Ættir are balanced and equal - three rows with eight in each set.

In the history of using the Runes, a dot ( · ) or two ( : ) was placed between words formed. You wouldn't and could not assign a meaning to the ' ' between words. A blank rune makes no sense, no matter what angle you look at it.

I thought that perth represented something hidden, a secret matter (sort of like the high priestess in the tarot) while the blank rune represented destiny,fate something that you have no control over (sort of like the wheel of fortune in the tarot). Also ansuz is associated with the ash tree.
    Just a thought

blessings

amber

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambertwilight View Post
    I thought the perth represented something hidden, a secret matter (sort of like the high priestess in the tarot) while the blank rune represented destiny,fate something that you have no control over (sort of like the wheel of fortune in the tarot). Also ansuz is associated with the ash tree.
    Just a thought

blessings

amber
    From archeology runes were not used for magic, their magic use is a modern invention. Remember that the sagas were written down several hundred years after the viking age, and by christians.

99,9% of runic inscription that exists to date were absolutely non-magical. Just names, short stories or other such stuff.

There are a couple of inscription - and I really mean just half a dozen - that perhaps have religious meaning to it. But there it is clear that the WORD had that meaning and not the characters they are written with.

Just like a Christian doesn't think that the Latin or Greek characters itself are magic when you write a psalm or whatever with them.

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    nordic.
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    From archeology runes were not used for magic, their magic use is a modern invention. Remember that the sagas were written down several hundred years after the viking age, and by christians.

99,9% of runic inscription that exists to date were absolutely non-magical. Just names, short stories or other such stuff.

There are a couple of inscription - and I really mean just half a dozen - that perhaps have religious meaning to it. But there it is clear that the WORD had that meaning and not the characters they are written with.

Just like a Christian doesn't think that the Latin or Greek characters itself are magic when you write a psalm or whatever with them.

not quite sure what your reply has to do with the subject we were discussing- which was whether to use the blank rune or not in runic divination.
    Also (although going off topic) the greek charactors do have meanings for each letter and a numerical value, so yes they are magical and it would be perfectly acceptable if one wished to use these for divination as one would the runes.

anyway lets get back to the subject of this thread which was whether to use the blank rune or not in runic divination.

blessings

amber

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast