View Poll Results: Do the Germanic gods really exist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 55.56%
  • No

27 27.27%
  • I am not sure...

17 17.17%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in the Literal Existence of the Gods?

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozenstorm View Post
    I keep hearing this stuff about 'Aryan religion'... Since when is race religion. Well, it is with the Jews, but we are not Jews, are we?
    It was with many of the Indo-European tribes as well. Toutatis was, by definition, a God of the Folk for the Gauls. Saxnot most likely served the same function for the Saxons, as did Yngvi for the Ynglings, and so on.
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Folk Religion is part of Folk Way

Quote Originally Posted by Cynewulf View Post
    Prior to the conversions to the mono-god universalist semitic and other religions people had their own ethnic beliefs. These beliefs and the gods that are part of them were/are largely exclusive to the ethnic groups that practiced them. Thus an ethnic religion and the ethnic group that spawned it are essentially inseparable from one another. Taking this a stage further there are similarities between religions of the ethnic groups that make up the indo-European family. These similarities can be termed to be facets of the indo-European or Aryan religion and are exclusive to that group it came from.
    The 2 Universalist mono-god Semitic Spin-off religions Cristianity and Islam differ somewhat from the Jewish religion, in that they have a deified Prophet, who revealed the Truth to their followers, who links them with their God. In a way Buddhism is similar, I think, except that it is more a revealed Philosophy, than religion. The Jews have more than one prophet. But Judaism is more organic and belongs to one Folk, one Ancestral People.

The Germanic Folkways, though are not revealed, as such. The Germanic Gods, the Aesir and Vanir are Folk Gods, of the Germanic Folk. As such they are, or seem to me to be, an integral part of the Ancestral Folkway of the Germanic Folk.
    As long as it can be said that a Germanic Folk exists, then perhaps the Germanic Gods will exist, in the Blood and Bones and Brains, or Psych`es, of
    the same Germanic Folk. The Germanic Folk give existence to the Germanic Gods, the Aesir and Vanir.

Existence is a difficult word to qualify, here. I do Believe that They exist, on several levels. I think Belief is, what it is. I believe They, our Gods, interact with us, on several levels. Some Folk who stand, or have stood in Blot, acknowledge that. Like many things Spiritual, some people have that Awarenesss, because of Belief. Some do not.
    Everyone is not on the same level of Spirituality. That is not a bad thing, or a good thing. It just is the way of humanity.
    Last edited by Grimsteinr; Monday, January 26th, 2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Addition

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Norman & German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I don't believe they exist as physical, tangible beings, no. More than believing in the gods as literal beings, I believe in what they signify and stand for, as well as associating their heritage. Also, the manifestation of forces of nature has been linked to the gods.

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English/Norwegian/Polish/German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Married parent
    Politics
    RWDS
    Religion
    Volkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Do you believe that Thor, Odin, Frey, etc actually exist as gods? Are they real entities?
    I believe that they actually exist but I don't believe their "existence" is as black and white as say the Christian belief in Christ. I do believe they are powerful spiritual and divine entities but I find that overthinking and trying to define their existence or reality is a hindrance. Meditate on their existence and feel your ancestral and blood connection to them. Declutter your mind and open yourself to a different plane of existence.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 12:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Hitlerism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The names, characteristics, and myths were attempts to give expression to lofty ideals.

We can see quite clearly how much the conception of god has degenerated in the creeds given by the churches. God is represented as an immaterial and distant anthropomorphic being, alienated from the whole of humanity, human beings cannot stand on equal footing with him. The Mormon Joseph Smith delved a great deal into assessing these creeds and their explanations and he concluded that they were impious and meaningless, as did Ernst Haeckel.

There are probably innumerable gods which fill the earth and the universe, in the manner of "divine" atoms.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Odin is an ancestor of Queen Elizabeth II. Sure, I believe it.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    The Gods exist in the literal sense because we as Germanics exist in the literal sense. You have to look upon the Gods as our ancestors, the fathers and mothers of our race and culture. They are what separates us from other peoples and yet bind us together as a people.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    The Gods exist in the literal sense because we as Germanics exist in the literal sense. You have to look upon the Gods as our ancestors, the fathers and mothers of our race and culture. They are what separates us from other peoples and yet bind us together as a people.
    I agree on the deified ancestor hypothesis, at least basically. To me that makes the most sense, that the figures that were to become the Gods, were initially ancestors and the memory of them.

This was btw. also the view of Isaac Newton.
    http://www.newtonproject.ox.ac.uk/vi...ized/THEM00098

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 @ 12:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swabian German, Castilian Spanish, Flemish
    Ancestry
    Schwaben (Ostalbkreis), Castilla, West-Vlaanderen
    Subrace
    Mostly Alpine and West-Med
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21
    mtDNA
    J1c2
    Country
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Zodiac Sign
    Capricorn
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    National-Anarchist
    Religion
    Germanic Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of the biggest "proofs" of the existence of the old gods is that their folk continue to exist, the cumulative effort of our ancestors resting with us, and calling us back to the old ways. Carl Jung would call this the "collective unconscious". Indeed, in Germany during the early 1930s Jung saw stirrings of the Wotan archetype. In the 19th century, such Scandinavians as the Swedish writer Thomas Thorild and the Danish poet Adam Oehlenschlager similarly saw a Thor archetype stirring the events of their time. Somewhat related, but there seems to be an increase in Odin sightings in Sweden: http://www.gornahoor.net/?p=9076

As a recovering monotheist who has proudly shed that Semitic past and is now drinking from the well of my ancestors, I most certainly "believe" - the word itself is loaded and seems to convey Abrahamic dogma - in the literal existence of the gods. But what are they, I don't know - its Mysteries. Whether that's archetypes, ancestors deified, or otherwise I don't know - but the proof is within our blood.

Having studied theology back when I was a monotheist, I don't see the concept of "one god" as any more "real" than that of multiple gods, even though I convinced myself otherwise at the time. Multiplicity manifests all around us, within nature. There need not be "conflict" inherent in the idea of multiple gods, whereas the multiplicity within nature and the universe has no such problem with harmony.

In theory, monotheists believe in one god who is omniscient and omnipresent, all-knowing and all-wise. But in practice, they delegate some of this one god's powers to lesser beings. For example, in the form or angels, prophets, sages, etc.. Why would such a superior being who is already capable of all things, need to delegate some of these superior powers to intermediaries?

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I'm open-minded, but I would need some evidence that these pagan gods exist independently outside the imaginations of those who claim experience of them. I've read an occult theory that the more a god is thought about or revered, the stronger its existence. So perhaps they come and go.

If they do exist, how do they interact with the gods of other pantheons? Do they have minds as such?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast