Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think any description of odinism should start with Odin himself. That clears a lot of misconceptions.

Let's start with a few of his kennings, which can also be used to put some light on his character:

Odin the Allfather
    Ygg (meaning the awful)
    Gagnrad (he who determines victory)
    Herjan (God of battles)
    Har (the high one)
    Jafnhar (even as high)
    Bileyg (one with evasive eyes)
    Baleyg (one with flaming eyes)
    Boverk (worker of misfortune)
    Sigfather (father of victory)
    Gaut (creator, great)
    Valfather (father to the slain)
    Lord of the hanged men
    Lord of the gallows

He has been looking for wisdom, sacrifices one of his eyes to drink from mimir's well, hanging himself on a tree for nine days to find the runes and so on.

He was a host to great banquets, he only drank vine, his meat was given to his 2 wolves (Geri and Freki). To be the host was one of his duties as a leader of the Asa.

He was honored with human sacrifices. People were hanged in trees and then stabbed with a spear. The God Njord let himself to be stabbed to death to honor Odin.

He was a terrible God of war, his followers threw a spear over their enemies and in case of victory all enemies were slaughtered/sacrificed

He is also known as a wanderer, who walks the lands of Midgard.

He is also known as a God who looked for wisdom in the magic things, called Seidr.

His wifes were Jord and Frigg, his concubines were the giantesses Grid and Rind. His children were foremost Thor (with Jord) most likely as his oldest son his successor to the highseat., Balder (with Frigg), Vidar (with Grid), Vali (with Rind), his sons were further Tyr, Heimdall, Hod and Bragi. lesser sons are Hermod (the messenger) and Meili.

As his follower one should emulate his traits: courage, strife for wisdom, generous host, leadership, taking on of responsibility for your people, obviously he had many offsprings, he could be cunning and also playful and deceptive to people.

whatever you think, he is not an easy God, not straight forward to put into a system. He contradicts himself and is not predictable as what he is going to do. He is able to change his mind.

He is definetly not your daddy who holds his hand under your butt, so junior can play around. When one approaches him one has to have strength oneself, one has to stand his scrutiny. Though he is beneficial he is also demanding, no half-measures. When one is one of his followers then that's it, no more playing around.

He is an incredible force and power, one has to be able to stand it, otherwise one is crushed and found to light.

He doesn't want Hampelmann-worship, he wants serious commitment.

If you choose this God be prepared. He doesn't shower you with gifts, he puts you to duty.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 07:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Norway, Ireland
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    Tribalist
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I might add that not every Odinist walks the way of the Odinic Rite.

My Mentor, who had his traditions from early in the 20th century and earlier, did not walk that way, yet he still honored the Old Ones in his own way.

It is safe to say that there are many faces to what we humans call 'Odinism'.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 13th, 2018 @ 12:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Norway Into England
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Colorado Colorado
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Electrical and automotive repair
    Politics
    To molested to choose
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by signofthehammer View Post
    Sounds like a church to me.

Again. Reeks of Judeo-Christian morality. Law was pivotal to our ancestors. Hell it's a norse word. Law breakers would be banished. They were literally 'out-of-the-law'. They lost the protection of their community and could be legally killed. We shouldn't want these people released back into our communities. Salvation is for Christians.

BS. That's just made up. There's no historical basis for most of those assertions. Furthermore, we have no idea how, or even if in fact, the runes were used for divination. Moreover, magic was not something for the everyday person to practice. Only those with the seidh could practice magic, and they were more often than not women. It was a dangerous and powerful force not to me tampered with by the common man.

If that's the case most people i've encountered from the Odinic Rite should be thrown out of the organisation.

Our ancestors wouldn't have understood the concept of having a religion.

And my listed faith as 'Anglo-Saxon Heathenism' is a term most people will understand. I don't consider myself a 'heathenist' and i'd never describe being heathen as a religion. When people ask me about my spirituality I say I follow the old custom or the old ways

Even three words of quarrelling you shouldn’t have with an inferior (125).

Though there is so much I would like to say though but 125 says it all

My final words are to compare a religion that is known for basically taking other beliefs and faiths for theirs own to our beliefs even if you agree or disagree with a organization or another kindred only weakens all of us we all recognize the 9 noble virtues where is your discipline or your honor with out having anything to back your judgment on a any organization of the same beliefs

Why did odin goto the world tree???

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234