View Poll Results: How many hours of sleep do you usually get?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2:59 mintutes or less

0 0%
  • 3-5 hours

8 23.53%
  • 6-8 hours

19 55.88%
  • 9-11 hours

8 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Sleeping Habits

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 01:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I was discussing sleeping patterns with someone today and I'm curious how 21st century folk handle sleep on average.
    Badly, from the answers many are giving! I'm honestly shocked that you're all alive and well! :eek: I actually had to leave my last job for the damage it was doing my sleep patterns.
    How many hours do you sleep on average? Do you sleep at night or during the day?
    Depends on work, naturally, but ideally I opt for the traditional 8. I can do 9 or 10 if I'm not disturbed however. Left to my own devices, without the pressure of having to be somewhere at 9am I would stay up till around 2am and sleep till 10/midday some time.
    Do you wake up at all or "sleep like a baby", without interruptions?
    Like the proverbial log, or corpse! :p
    Do you dream? How often do you dream? Can you remember your dreams?
    Occasionally. Some good, some weird, some awful. Not too common, the latter sort, thank the Gods, but now and then. Had a dreadful one about a month ago. Very odd, as I never watch scarey films, and don't even agree with the release of half of them that seem to be coming out these days, but with the stuff my mind cooks up on occasion I might as well try out making a living writing the scripts!
    Do you take naps?
    No but I feel I should give it a try. Had a bit of one this afternoon, for curiosity's sake, and must admit I felt worse afterwards.
    What do you usually like to wear when you go to sleep?
    When in England I sleep with my dog, and so have to wear tshirt and shorts. Otherwise, and when certain of the hygeine of the bed, I can do without. :p
    Do you have any "rituals" before going to sleep (such as taking a shower or drinking a glass of milk)?
    Not really, just the usual pray to Mekka...
    How long can you last without sleep? What is your personal record? What about the longest time you slept?
    I can miss a night, but will make up for it the next.

Anyone here read much Douglas Adams? I used to years ago, and I remember one interesting idea there in the 'Mostly Harmless' book - an Earth-like planet, but with the advantage of a 25 hour day. I think that would suit me to the ground! A nice little lie-in everyday. Don't people in sunless underground bunkers revert to such a timetable, as I think I read somewhere?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 4th, 2009 @ 02:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid/Atlantid.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Looking
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I sleep for 8-10 hours usually. I never understood people who get up before 11 when they don't have to. I have work in the library at college Tues. and Thurs. 8:30 - 10AM which is a bit of a pain.

I can usually get to sleep quickly about 80% of the time. In bed at night is usually the one time when I can relax. The thinking becomes lucid and I can breathe deeply.

I remember my dreams every now and again, they are usually physical dreams. Sexual and tactile dreams are my favorite. I have not tried melatonin to see just how effective it is for dreaming.

I usually wear boxers or nothing to bed, pajamas are just something annoying to take off when you wake up.

I can go a day without sleep, but then I usually start having mild hallucinations.
    SVMDEVSSVMCAESARSVMCAELVMETINFERNVM

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was discussing sleeping patterns with someone today and I'm curious how 21st century folk handle sleep on average.
    I sleep about 7 hours

I take naps during the day in summer, usually after lunch.

I sleep like a baby.

I do not remember my dreams, but I do dream.

I am usually naked in bed.

I do not have any rituals before sleep.

I really need my sleep. I can go without sleep for 28 hours or so, but I would need much more than bit of caffeine and some nasty spirits to actually do that comfortably, and I am not supposed to do that, but it does happen. Not sure if I have a record. I remember sleeping for more than 12 hours once. I woke up thinking that I had just had a little nap as the sun had set and risen whilst I had been sleeping.

I want to try melatonin, because I do not sleep so effectively sometimes.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    8 hours of sleep seems no longer to be the ideal...

How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?

Sleep is one of the richest topics in science today: why we need it, why it can be hard to get, and how that affects everything from our athletic performance to our income. Daniel Kripke, co-director of research at the Scripps Clinic Sleep Center in La Jolla, Calif., has looked at the most important question of all. In 2002, he compared death rates among more than 1 million American adults who, as part of a study on cancer prevention, reported their average nightly amount of sleep. To many his results were surprising, but they've since been corroborated by similar studies in Europe and East Asia. Kripke explains.

More on Yahoo News

Last Online
    Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

• How many hours do you sleep on average? Do you sleep at night or during the day?
    • Do you wake up at all or "sleep like a baby", without interruptions?
    • Do you dream? How often do you dream? Can you remember your dreams?
    • Do you take naps?
    • What do you usually like to wear when you go to sleep?
    • Do you have any "rituals" before going to sleep (such as taking a shower or drinking a glass of milk)?
    • How long can you last without sleep? What is your personal record? What about the longest time you slept?
    *6.5-8.5
    *I usually sleep through the night
    *Until one month ago, I pretty much never had a dream that I remembered in my adult life. Then I quit smoking pot temporarily for a job and I've been having them quite often.
    *Not usually but I've been having to wake up at 5:00 a.m. lately which I'm not used to so I usually sleep for 3 or 45 minutes around 6 p.m. Probably will stop once I get used to it.
    * I like to eat something small, drink a beer, and watch tv or go on the internet and be alone for a few minutes before I get in bed.
    *I've gone five days without sleeping, although i think i probably was having microsleeps, where you fall out for a minute or two without realizing it.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How many hours do you sleep on average? Do you sleep at night or during the day?
    I am not happy with less than 7 or 8 hours of sleep, I could sleep 10 hours a night if they'd let me...eyes:

I sleep at night now, but I went through a long time when I wanted to sleep during the day and stay up all night. I always felt more comfortable and awake actually at night...

Usually, I don't wake up much. Only if someone wakes me up or a dream wakes me up. Sometimes I talk to myself in my sleep, like if its a bad dream, I wake up remembering me telling myself to wake up if I am scared in the dream.
    I dream every night it seems. Yes, I usually remember them.

Do you take naps?
    Naps are heavenly.

Well, I call them gowns but they aren't grandma-ish...
    Do you have any "rituals" before going to sleep (such as taking a shower or drinking a glass of milk)?
    Yes, but I can't mention them here
    How long can you last without sleep? What is your personal record? What about the longest time you slept?
    I don't wanna know how long I can last without sleep, and the longest time I slept is probably 12 hours, longer than that when sick.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If I'm working I normally get to bed by 4 or 5 am and if I'm at uni have to get up at 9am or 10am so that's 5 hours, on days when I'm not working or at uni I'll catch up and spend 12 hours in bed although I'm probably only asleep for 10 or so

normally I sleep all the way through, however I'm a light sleeper and can be woken by noises, though I normally get back to sleep easily, the only exception is when I'm drunk and then I can't sleep at all.

Yes but I normally only remember them on the days where I spend more than 10 hours in bed

Do you take naps?
    No they make me feel tired

nothing

Yup I'm doing it now computer all the way

60 hours is probably the record although I think I may have had a half hour nap in there somewhere, I find an accumulation of a lack of sleep more tiring than the odd all nighter. The longest time I've slept about 20 hours, I had a bad reaction to a general anaesthetic and couldn't get out of bed for nearly 3 days.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 @ 08:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    Piecrust promises,easily broken
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

• How many hours do you sleep on average? Do you sleep at night or during the day?
    • Do you take naps?
    • Do you have any "rituals" before going to sleep (such as taking a shower or drinking a glass of milk)?
    • How long can you last without sleep? What is your personal record? What about the longest time you slept?

-i can go almost 24 hours without sleep.. usually happens on road trips, things of that nature. i've been known to sleep 12 hours or more after an intense workout and a long night out
    -before bed i like to either put a hot towel over my face, shower/bath, or read
    -what i wear or don't wear to bed is personal
    -naps only if i was out/up late.. then the next day usually calls for a nap after work
    -sometimes i have weird dreams.. and wake up thinking how odd my dream was. then go back to sleep and can't remember a thing about it later on. which sucks because my dreams feel like movies. some days i don't recall having any dreams at all.
    -when i stay up past my "bedtime" i sleep like a baby. and days where i don't use all of my energy i usually wake up throughout the night.
    -sleep at night, with about 5-8 hours..

as you can see it varies for me.. depends on the occasions.

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    • Do you take naps?
    1) On average I am unsure of how many hours I actually get. I sleep at night with the occasional crash-and-burn nap some days.

2) I wake up if a pin falls. The princess and the pea.

3) I dream on occasion. When I dream they are usually odd dreams. If I do dream, then I always remember them.

4) I do take an occasion nap when my body gets so tired that I have a need to crash.

5) What do I wear when I sleep? That's a bit personal.

6) Bedtime ritual these days: get dressed/ undressed for bed (not telling what I wear), take my hair down, use the bathroom, wash hands, brush teeth, wash hands, talk to the baby as she "dances", change her, wash hands, turn out lights, nurse baby, put her in crib, lay down for sleep.

7) I can last a while without sleep. Not near as long as when I was young. In high school I would get terrible bouts of insomnia. The longest I have ever slept? One time, after a traumatic event, I slept for 2 days (minus bathroom breaks and if I recall correctly).
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How many hours do you sleep on average? I usually sleep about seven hours every day.

Do you sleep at night or during the day? Well, I get off work at about 4AM and go to bed right after and then sleep until 12 or so.

Do you wake up at all or "sleep like a baby", without interruptions? I'll usually wake up two or three times.

Do you dream? How often do you dream? Can you remember your dreams? For years I didn't think that I dreamt at all, but as it turns out one I started making a conscious effort to remember my dreams, I was able to do so. However, it is still quite an effort for me to remember my dreams.

Do you take naps? I've never really been able to nap.

What do you usually like to wear when you go to sleep? No comment

Do you have any "rituals" before going to sleep (such as taking a shower or drinking a glass of milk)? Umm...I have actual rituals that I perform as part of a training program prior to going to bed, but that's probably not what you're asking about.

How long can you last without sleep? What is your personal record? What about the longest time you slept? I ran a test one time to see how long I could stay awake. I lasted four days until the hallucinations were making it dangerous for me to continue doing so.
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast