View Poll Results: Do you believe ghosts or spirits exist?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

110 58.20%
  • No

51 26.98%
  • Not sure...

28 14.81%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In Ghosts, Spirits or Other Supernatural Beings?

Last Online
    Sunday, September 28th, 2008 @ 02:16 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuddorsped
    You simply cannot articulate the unknowable with any accuracy, anymore than you can turn on an electric light to see what darkness looks like.
    Agreed.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As David Lane says in his 88 Precepts; the "supernatural" is actually nothing but natural phenomena not yet understood.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 @ 12:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    What are "little people"?
    Little people are small, tiny, "people" that helps you, or that can make a mess for you.
    We say "Småfolk, oknytt" etc in Sweden, atleast where i live, i guess there are more names for them in other regions.
    Well, they are not what they call Gnoms in english, it's hard to explain but actually, i do belive they exist.
    You can "see" them in your garden, the forrests, everywhere in nature, but also, you can have them inside your house.
    I guess many people actually have "seen" them, without even know it.

Almost everyone in Sweden, atleast in the region where i live and more far north, have heard stories told by the elder about this.
    Now i guess all of you think, "yeah, a bedtime saga..." but really, its not like that.

For example, long time ago, unwanted newborn babies were put out in the forrests to die, and my grandmother always said, that it was those children that become "oknytt" (one of the names i mentioned about those small people) that tries to get people, most often children, get lost in forrests etc. So not every one of them are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Please tell us more.
    And btw, my youngest son, about his "experience" to meet his greatgrandfather, i don't know what really happend, but nowdays, he tells us about houses and people that don't exist anymore, roads and bridges that are long gone. He tells us names on dead people, that's what i think is the most scary part though.
    My village is old, really old, and people have been living here for about 6000 years so, sometimes it's hard to find out the truth in what he says.
    Always, when he starts to tell me about any of this, afterwards, i use to check it up, and in 95% of the cases, they are true and sometimes it's really scary but for him, it comes naturally.
    When i talked to his grandmother about his "meetings", she told me about her father, how he was when he lived etc, and my son are almost an exact copy when it comes to behaviour and his love for nature and animals etc.

When i see things like this happen, like the door get open, the lamp over the kitchen table starts to move, i always tell this guy to stop it, and it stops. I think he want's to either play, or just get me to notice he is there, watching.
    There are really no logical and natural explanation in what is happening here.
    I have even invited people here, and they said "it is something in your house, i can feel it, but don't be afraid, it will do no harm to you".

I also have to add, i think, when it comes to us Swedes, atleast the ones living in Värmland, Dalarna, Gästrikland and Hälsingland, this about beliving in ghosts, little people etc, this is really common here and it's a part of our old culture that still lives (belive it or not).
    Ask who ever you want from these parts, and im almost sure that 90-95% of the people will tell you about this, about the "småfolk", "älvor", "vittror", "tomtar" and "oknytt".

Respect for all (what many call unatural or bedtime sagas) beings are important, open your eyes and see what's around you, summer is good time for doing that and you can see the faries dance on the fields and the "little people" enjoys life...

Remember, if you can't see them, they can see you, so take good care of animals and plants and enjoy that you can take part of what soil gives you.
    I fly upon the blackest of wings - I soar through the dark night sky
    I answer no call but my own - I alone forge my reality
    For I am the Raven - The child of Odin

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch
    The "supernatural" is actually nothing but natural phenomena not yet understood.
    Couldn´t have said it better myself.
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I believe the supernatural will always stay with us. Simply because we can't explain everything.

Last Online
    Friday, February 2nd, 2007 @ 03:05 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Currently dating
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well I come from a country where a recent study has shown 90% of the population believe “little people” could exist, in fact we even have an elf school

I however do not believe in ghosts as such, but I am willing to admit there are things out there which we cannot explain yet, which can only be described as supernatural phenomenon’s.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    Simply because we can't explain everything
    Why not? We still have several billion years until the expanding Sun will envelope us.

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Vril-ya
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Religion
    Atheistic Skeptic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    Why not? We still have several billion years until the expanding Sun will envelope us.
    Agreed.

I hate to be the only one, but I think there is nothing that cannot be explained in some way. The whole concept of "inexplicable things" is religious in nature, and in particular superstitious. It mostly has little bearing on reality.

Growing up in a culture which believes in ghosts/gnomes/etc will make one believe that they actually do exist. Yet to this day, there is not a single satisfactory piece of evidence for their existence. It is more likely that this "spiritual world" exists entirely in the minds of human beings.

In my language we call this "verbeeldingsvlugte". Or, directly translated, "flights of the imagination".

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I have found that religiosity often has a negative correlation to I.Q., thus g. Generally, the more "primitive" the religion, the lower the g of it's practitioner.

The so-called "Jewish quantification" system is simply a manifestation of intelligence.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    I have found that religiosity often has a negative correlation to I.Q., thus g. Generally, the more "primitive" the religion, the lower the g of it's practitioner.

The so-called "Jewish quantification" system is simply a manifestation of intelligence.
    Do you mean in your personal experience, or do you refer to a study you've read?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast