View Poll Results: Do you believe ghosts or spirits exist?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

110 58.20%
  • No

51 26.98%
  • Not sure...

28 14.81%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In Ghosts, Spirits or Other Supernatural Beings?

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 @ 08:27 PM
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    X-Rays & Uranium
    Religion
    I Exist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Only as much as I believe in Jehova, Vishnu, Jesus, Odin, Muhammed and the goodness of Man.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seems like a bunch of fantastical superstitious hooey to me, made up by people whose minds cannot accept the boring physical reality they exist in--nor comprehend basic physics.

Though I recognize the possibility, and welcome any evidence..

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Vril-ya
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Religion
    Atheistic Skeptic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymaus
    Though I recognize the possibility, and welcome any evidence..
    I have never seen any credible evidence of "ghosts" in my life. We have this TV program, "most haunted", which is about ghost hunters (real documentary). I've watched it a few times but it is so boring because nothing convincing ever happens.

Seeing is believing, I think. Even though your eyes can deceive you at times, too. The human mind is known to dream up such fantasies, and make it real for yourself. Religion is one such example..

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Vril-ya
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Religion
    Atheistic Skeptic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is perhaps interesting:

http://www.ghoststudy.com/gallery.html

Have a browse through the monthly links

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2006 @ 04:04 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No. Spirit is dependent upon bodily form. I do, however, believe that all living things have 'spirits' (to use the word ambiguously) in some sense--a life-giving force that wills toward growth.

Seems like a bunch of fantastical superstitious hooey to me, made up by people whose minds cannot accept the boring physical reality they exist in--nor comprehend basic physics.
    Those who dogmatically deny science in favor of superstition are generally imbeciles, but the scientific denial of myths and inability to see metaphysics behind life is unbearably boring. Right or wrong, a poetic and religious interpretation of life surpasses the scientific by far.
    Out of life's school of war...

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:30 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I've never seen the north pole by myself, but I believe it exists. I know this might be not the most scientific example and of course no proof, but I'm sure that there are a lot of things sharing our world with us we'll never see and understand. I doubt that there are ghosts, of course, but I'm sure that the most important part of every living thing is the spirit (so i agree with jcs in his definition of "spirit"). And it will never die, but develop further from every state it has ever taken.
    Lík börn leika best.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs
    Those who dogmatically deny science in favor of superstition are generally imbeciles,
    Agreed.

but the scientific denial of myths and inability to see metaphysics behind life is unbearably boring.
    Agreed! Myths are untouchable by science, as they are not intended to prove nor be proven. Myths exist as part of the cultural fabric, an important underpinning to the societies which arise around them. Belief is the same situation, so long as it exists in its own "dimension" which does not require scientific explanation to support, nor physical evidence to reinforce.

Right or wrong, a poetic and religious interpretation of life surpasses the scientific by far.
    Science is merely a factual replacement of certain types of myth. A manner in which we describe our world and its functions. It is nothing more than research, description and development. A tool like any other. Science should not be life, it should describe it. Then again we aren't discussing Mi'kmaq rituals and ancestor spirits, but spooky ghosts with white sheets and rattling chains (so to speak).

Perhaps this phenomenon is real, and our culture(s) simply do not have a means of describing and understanding it. If science is the most spiritual language of description we have, then it logically follows that we could not comprehend spirits at the same level other cultures do.

The above is a possibility. The only problem with it is the inclusion of 'ghosts' in to spiritual beliefs and religious rituals removes them from the arena of scientific investigation, description and proof! And once in the untouchable realm of belief, efforts to produce scientific evidence of these 'ghosts' will prove fruitless and somewhat foolhardy.

Personally, I feel we're better off with science than witchcraft and superstition.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 @ 12:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When talking about "ghosts" i just have to write this,

My youngest son, he will be 8 now in december, anyway, since he was very little and learned to speak, he have always told us that he gets visits by a man in the middle of the night.
    We used to just tell him that he was dreaming and he just got mad at us and said no.

One day, we found a very old postcard with 3 swedish soldiers on it (postcard were from 1905), and belive it or not, it turned out to be my sons greatgrandfather on the postcard.

My son saw it and shouted, there he is, that man, to the left, it he that's visiting me, and then, he also told us his name (which he could NOT have known) and that he still lived here, in this house.

He also told us what the other two guys name were and where they had lived. We checked it up, and belive it or not, it was true.
    He stills get these visits by his greatgrandfather sometimes but now he isn't afraid anymore.

About this man that walks here during the nights, and now also during days sometimes, it's not scary at all to see someone opens the kitchen door and then close it again, and when checking, no one is there. This is nothing i just hear, i can really see it happen.
    Also, upstairs, when kids are in school, or away visiting relatives, we hear someone walking in my oldest daughters room, and this can happen any time at day or night and when checking, no one is there.

I could tell you more about this but i better stop now, before i bore you all to death.

And to answer the question asked, yes, i belive there is ghosts and also what we say here, "little people".
    I fly upon the blackest of wings - I soar through the dark night sky
    I answer no call but my own - I alone forge my reality
    For I am the Raven - The child of Odin

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Vril-ya
    Country
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Religion
    Atheistic Skeptic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerthus
    When talking about "ghosts" i just have to write this,

My youngest son, he will be 8 now in december, anyway, since he was very little and learned to speak, he have always told us that he gets visits by a man in the middle of the night.
    We used to just tell him that he was dreaming and he just got mad at us and said no.

One day, we found a very old postcard with 3 swedish soldiers on it (postcard were from 1905), and belive it or not, it turned out to be my sons greatgrandfather on the postcard.

My son saw it and shouted, there he is, that man, to the left, it he that's visiting me, and then, he also told us his name (which he could NOT have known) and that he still lived here, in this house.
    Very spooky... :

I could tell you more about this but i better stop now, before i bore you all to death.
    Please tell us more.

And to answer the question asked, yes, i belive there is ghosts and also what we say here, "little people".
    What are "little people"?

Last Online
    Saturday, January 28th, 2006 @ 09:32 PM
    Taxidermist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I actually believe that many of these 'manifestations' are invariably caused by fluctuations in localised electro-magnetic currents. I understand that certain scientific research projects (such as Dr Michael Persinger's numerous experiments) have concluded that such physical disturbances can induce temporal lobe seizures in the brain that, in turn, can cause visual and auditory hallucinations, feelings of physical presences, cold spots etc etc. In fact, all the classic ghost phenomena are symptoms of temporal lobe seizure.

That's the scientific explanation.

However, do I do believe that there are people who inhabit this world who are "not fully quyke, nor fully dead", to use Chaucer's marvellous expression?

Absolutely YES. And I have witnessed such things myself. I see little or no point in bothering to communicate the laborious details, except to say that other people witnessed these things and they are basically inexplicable.

You simply cannot articulate the unknowable with any accuracy, anymore than you can turn on an electric light to see what darkness looks like.
    "If you are going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."

- George Bernard Shaw

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast