Thread: e-book: The Romance of Natural History

e-book: The Romance of Natural History

This is a wonderful publication... very well written and specifically appealing to anyone that possesses a poetic love for the precious gift of nature that belongs to us all. The only drawback is that this electronic edition is in the ever toilsome .pdf format. (I don't know about the rest of you, but I find .pdf's to be the most laborious, annoying and aggrivating technological concepts ever to be devised. ) Anyway, I would wholeheartedly suggest this read to any, and all, as I've yet to find a more graceful literary depiction of the world of plant, animal and season, as told through a multitude of tangible adjectives, evocative phrasings and a sweet, blissfully picturesque harmony of thoughts and feelings. Good stuff, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by About the book
    This publication is a reprint of the American version of Philip Henry Gosse's The Romance of Natural History, originally published in 1861 by Gould and Lincoln of Boston. The British edition contains some textual differences.

This book looks at natural history from a "poetic" perspective, seeking to draw emotions from the fascinating, beautiful, and often dangerous world around us. Gathering narratives from around the world, Gosse shows us the experiences of naturalists, hunters, and others who have written about what few others have seen.
    Here's the
    link

Please enjoy, and celebrate the beauty and perfection of the organic masterpiece that inspires and gracefully surrounds all who care to accept her embrace! (too much? )
    "Nature! We are surrounded and embraced by her:
    powerless to separate ourselves from her, and powerless to penetrate beyond her.

Without asking, or warning, she snatches us up into her circling dance, and whirls us on until we are tired, and drop from her arms." - Goethe

Last Online
    Thursday, December 28th, 2006 @ 11:23 AM
    Occupation
    Overcoming self
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thank you for this! I'm sure it will prove to be a fascinating read. The very first chapter striked me with its deeply detailed, yet imaginative descriptions of the wonders of winter.

"Winter is not without its charm, the charm of a grand and desolate majesty."

Indeed.