View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am a vegetarian.

4 7.55%
  • I am vegan - I even don't eat any animal products.

0 0%
  • No, I like meat.

39 73.58%
  • No, but I try to avoid eating meat as often as possible.

10 18.87%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being a Vegetarian: Is It Really Healthy?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 04:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Being a Vegetarian: Is It Really Healthy?

Some say it's the best you can do: living as a vegetarian. People with diet based on meat and animal products have high blood levels of cholesterol, they say. Since it accumulates in the inner wall of our arteries, excess amount of cholesterol becomes quickly a problem and can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, artherosclerose... In general, vegetarians are less likely to develop certain diseases such as kidney stones, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, gallstones, heart disease and some sorts of cancer such as breast and colon cancer, they add.

Others say, it is not "natural" to eat no meat. It doesn't correspond with the needs of our body. You need, for example, significantly more protein in you diet (plant protein is not as well absorbed), and if you also do not eat dairy products and eggs you will experience a deficiency of Vitamin B12 and Carnitine. Apparently the lack of B12 from one's diet will lead to Pernicious Anemia and eventually heart failure. Similarly with Carnitine you need a minimum uptake of 300 uMol per day of which the only valid source is meat.

Of course, both groups agree with the fact that today's meat industry is a mess and animals are treated "inhumane".

But what is your opinion on that topic?

I personally think that, well, it's not healthy to eat no meat. It is the most important source for protein for us, nothing can replace it at our menu. When our forefathers started to eat meat, which was a hard descision, for they often died while hunting it, they didn't do it out of fun killing some reindeer or horse or rabbit or whatever, but because they somehow recognized it was healthy to eat meat, it kept them alive during strong winters, kept and made them strong.

Humans are omnivores. Millions of years of breeding made us dependant on a certain diet. We are pretty adaptable, but I do not believe we can stay away from meat without harm. I constantly hear scientists and nutrition experts contradict another. So I'm staying on the safe side, and follow my traits - and the paths my ancestors followed. I am sure that they would laugh pretty hard at people staying voluntary away from meat.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I eat meat, although with moderation.

I would have liked to be a vegeterian though -not a vegan..I'd never say goodbye to fish, sea food, eggs, etc.

However, being a successful vegeterian means adhering to a very tight eating schedule, so that you can compensate for the proteins and vitamins by other kinds of food..which is impossible for me as my schedules are very unstable.

If I can't do it right, I'd rather not do it at all.

I still remember a friend of mine, who decided to become a vegeterian all of the sudden, probably because it was a fad. She just cut down on the meat, and 3 months later she fainted and was taken to the hospital with a severe iron deficiency and an extremely low blood pressure. She had to be taking iron supplements for months after that, which further damaged her stomach. One needs to plan carefully such things, we can't play with our bodies... :no000000:

Stig NHF
    I only eat horsemeat, but then again practically everything I eat is taken from our horses.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 12th, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other than Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I became a carnivore again just few weeks ago. before that I was lacto-ovo-pisco-pollo (!) vegetarian for few years, meaning that besides veggies, I ate milk products, eggs, fish and chicken, and game (reindeer and elk)occasionally. In that way, I was not a "real" veggie.

It took a long time mentally to start eating red meat again. Because I had been eating some meat, I had no stomach problems with red meat when I started eating it. I started with domestic cow meat, and lastly I had my first barbequed sausage. I had most disgust with pork (no, it was not any "kosher" thing, only the fact that humans and pigs systems are quite similar and eating pork is like eating our second cousin )

So no, I am not a vegetarian

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 @ 08:27 PM
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    X-Rays & Uranium
    Religion
    I Exist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If its there, I'll eat it. I am omnivorous.

Bøndern Ska Gjænnoppstå Erlingr Hárbarðarson's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Occupation
    Ósnotr maðr hyggr sér alla vera
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Treat animal as it would treat you: feast on it. The fall through attrition is natures gift to life. Milk and blood are one. I will not go into detail over this now [e.g. see events and words exchanged in Lokasenna or in Hávamál], but Odin, Æge et al. and those as well to vanene have counselled our people in this issue for many occasions. I see nothing to be discussed.

Først utvanna saa utrydda

Last Online
    Sunday, February 13th, 2011 @ 04:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Jute
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course I eat meat! It's only natural to eat a large variety of food and if we didn't feast on the animals they'd feast on us.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 28th, 2006 @ 11:23 AM
    Occupation
    Overcoming self
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I eat meat since it's useful. I certainly have no moral objection towards it, thus I greatly wonder at people who restrain from eating meat to save animals. On the other hand, I can understand people who boycott modern massproduction of meat and animal products by not buying them, as I'm suspicious of the healthiness of eating factory meats compared to naturally grown meat.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, February 9th, 2007 @ 08:32 PM
    Agnostic Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was a vegetarian for around 3 years and for 3 or 4 onth I only ate vegan products. Now I´m a happy omnivore...
    Die Intellektuellen von heute versuchen, den Nationalismus als eine Sünde gegen die Menschlichkeit zu brandmarken. Sie versuchen, uns glauben zu machen, daß dem Wort Nationalismus eine Infamie anhängt. Aber sie verkennen, daß der Geist des Nationalismus aus der schöpferischen Tiefe der menschlichen Seele stammt. Daß er aufsteigt von dort als das gewaltige Verlangen der Menschen, frei zu sein, frei von fremder Herrschaft, und sich nach eigener Art selber zu regieren! Herbert Hoover

Last Online
    Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 @ 08:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Nordish
    Subrace
    Troendertype/Nordid/Faelish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Idaho Idaho
    Divorced, looking
    Occupation
    Impregnating Captured Earthwomen
    Politics
    Folk and Land
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin
    eat meat, it kept them alive during strong winters, kept and made them strong.
    Or perhaps they did not have a choice in the dead of winter, and would have lived longer had friuts and vegetables been available in sufficient quantity? Remember, in those days 40-50 years old was considered extremely old. Very few people then lived long enough to develop the physical ailments that people with unhealthy diets now experience in their 70's, 80's, 90's.:suomut:

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin
    Humans are omnivores. Millions of years of breeding made us dependant on a certain diet. We are pretty adaptable, but I do not believe we can stay away from meat without harm. I constantly hear scientists and nutrition experts contradict another. So I'm staying on the safe side, and follow my traits - and the paths my ancestors followed. I am sure that they would laugh pretty hard at people staying voluntary away from meat.
    I have mixed feelings, I think it is similiar to wine, in moderaton it is healthy, or at least OK. I am something of a health food and physical fitness type, and I notice a definite lethargic feeling for a day or two after a large steak or large helping of roast beef. I eat a big T-bone steak on my birthday, and a lot of roast beef and/or ham during the Yule season, but the feelings of lethargy are pretty consistent, so only small amounts on a daily basis. Lots of Turkey or Chicken for the protein though.
    http://northwestfront.org/

......naturally the best man could give them the best children. Because of that these chosen Freyr priests had several wives. - Varg Vikernes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast