Last Online
    Saturday, July 14th, 2007 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Living the Simple Life" - Self-Subsistence Living

Just saw this report on TV

A form of passive activism (they at least are doing something about their disenchantment with modern consumerist existence) A very motivated couple, they built a remarkable solar powered oven which cooked perfectly, they dried excess bananas and tomatoes for storage, kept Goats and Chickens for Milk/Cheese and Eggs. Very impressed with their efforts I must say. Found it interesting, so just thought I'd share...

(here's the blurb from the site)

Living the simple life
    REPORTER: Sarah Clark
    BROADCAST DATE: July 11, 2005

The family saved money and lost weight

A Brisbane family has lived without cars, bills and supermarkets and it not only became healthier by shedding the kilos, it also saved a small fortune.

Trevor Wittmer and his wife Linda experimented to see if they could survive six months without spending a cent or costing the environment.

"Everything we ate we had to produce ourselves, prepare ourselves and cook ourselves," Trevor said.

The Wittmers, with their son Cayleb, embarked on what they have called the world's most elaborate diet.

They boycotted the supermarket and decided to grow their own food.

Linda turned to her garden and the family swore off meat, made its own yeast, shampoo and scrubbing brushes.

For staples like rice and flour, the Wittmers bartered for the products.

Linda home-tutored Cayleb and Trevor rode a bike to work.

The family harvested its own rainwater and converted to solar power.

The family lost weight, improved health and saved money.

"It would be somewhere between $8000 and $10,000," Linda said.

The Wittmers survived on a budget of $25 a week, which covered household bills and extra food for the goat.

They spent $38 on power and $9 on water for the entire six months.

"I started off with very high blood pressure and ended up with nice low blood pressure," Linda said.

"We just haven't spent the money that we would ordinarily spend at the supermarket," Trevor said.

"Some people think you're weird or it's a real hippy thing to do or going backwards you're a greenie but it's just not true we're just normal people like everybody else."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 10:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skĺne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    That's simply great! If I wouldn't live in a city where I can't grow anything except crane's bill on my windowsill, I would try that, too.
    Lík börn leika best.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 15th, 2006 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Sure beats being a slave to the consumer society.
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -God

"But once you are done complaining, whining and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of our one other Great Canadian Freedom ... the right to leave."
    -Mayor Paul Dulmage of Carleton Place

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 10th, 2005 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sounds great: I spent my childhood on a farm outside this town so my family weren't really that dependant on the supermarket and all that. Well I guess not as much as city folks. This is obviously beyond how I grew up but sounds like it would be a cool way to live. You appreciate stuff more I guess.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2006 @ 07:08 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Not consuming the vast amounts of sugar and processed food that is so prevalent in our society today would make anyone lose weight and be healthier.

So if they can do it why can't Africa? This way of life could be easily followed by Africans, Indians, Asians, Amerindians, and other impoverished peoples. Oh I forgot, it takes hard work and discipline.

Břndern Ska Gjćnnoppstĺ Erlingr Hárbarđarson's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mađr hyggr sér alla vera
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a beautiful thing this family had done. The modern world is sewn with threads of dirty cloth. And clothless, this family has cleansed the dirt away. Drinking from Ýmirs blood and eating of Frřys touch is the only way to purify our selves as worthy to enter Valhöll. We are far too dirty in the ways we live this life; we are spoon fed by jews and other foreign food makers. It smells of vomitus. Purity is containment and to be contained one must be exclusive. Independant from the rest though bound tight to your own...this is a thunderous halo of strength. Eating natural and organic is the first step, but what this family have done is some thing to admire in awe. Imagine if one hundred families tryed this or an entire town...or a nation. Communal spirit and interdependense, oral stories and family traditions seem unbreakable and come to life when a people are brought back to what matters...the foundation of grain and wheat as harvested blood and soil...the beginning of northerly time. Seldom can one stray from a proud containment teaching of roots and truth. This is the way of life we should have never abandoned. Most of you fools preach to me of the "great" accomplishments in technology and science by white folk e.g. guns, tele, printing press osv. ...look at what your grand way has left us with; you have nothing to speak high of when the dirt in our veins comes from another folks greed and belief in our demise. A fat wallet, but a fatigued heart. We are so foreign to what matters in this life that I am surprised we were allowed even to be borne.

Fřrst utvanna saa utrydda

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hárbarđarson
    This is a beautiful thing this family had done. The modern world is sewn with threads of dirty cloth. And clothless, this family has cleansed the dirt away. Drinking from Ýmirs blood and eating of Frřys touch is the only way to purify our selves as worthy to enter Valhöll. We are far too dirty in the ways we live this life; we are spoon fed by jews and other foreign food makers. It smells of vomitus. Purity is containment and to be contained one must be exclusive. Independant from the rest though bound tight to your own...this is a thunderous halo of strength. Eating natural and organic is the first step, but what this family have done is some thing to admire in awe. Imagine if one hundred families tryed this or an entire town...or a nation. Communal spirit and interdependense, oral stories and family traditions seem unbreakable and come to life when a people are brought back to what matters...the foundation of grain and wheat as harvested blood and soil...the beginning of northerly time. Seldom can one stray from a proud containment teaching of roots and truth. This is the way of life we should have never abandoned. Most of you fools preach to me of the "great" accomplishments in technology and science by white folk e.g. guns, tele, printing press osv. ...look at what your grand way has left us with; you have nothing to speak high of when the dirt in our veins comes from another folks greed and belief in our demise. A fat wallet, but a fatigued heart. We are so foreign to what matters in this life that I am surprised we were allowed even to be borne.
    You do realize that you just used one of these great accomplishments, a computer, to reprimand the board right?
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -God

"But once you are done complaining, whining and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of our one other Great Canadian Freedom ... the right to leave."

Břndern Ska Gjćnnoppstĺ Erlingr Hárbarđarson's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mađr hyggr sér alla vera
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CONSTANTINUS
    You do realize that you just used one of these great accomplishments, a computer, to reprimand the board right?
    Ja, which I would not need to have done, had we never betrayed the wisdom of the spear and left the farms to rot in silence. Additionally, I am struggling with making a heavy presence here, as I know this is not the true way. Suffocating, the Old Faith has no antiquity to breathe here. I know this. Though I have many friends here and refuse to leave them to linger. Friendship does not work this way.

Fřrst utvanna saa utrydda

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Of course in those days it was entirely common to get a nasty cut while hunting, see the wound fester and go gangrenous, get sick from the putrid stench of your own rotting leg and die a horrible death 2 agonizing weeks later, all of that before your 16th birthday. Progress isn't necesrarily linked to degeneracy and consumerism. I completely agree with you that consumerism is the lowest state of mind the European man ever had, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -God

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These people are doing a great thing and setting a good example. It is quite possible to remove ones self from closed systems such as the supermarket food chain.

RE: science, technology, advancement

Progress must be responsible and it must seek to improve, and be used to improve, society and the lives of people within it. The desire for progress and advancement must come from a unified populace which shares a common bond of raceculture.

The belief of a native population in its own inferiority will result in the overtaking of those people by any arrogant group with the will to dominate them. It is of equal arrogance that western hippiecrats desire to "advance" places like Africa--where they have no right to even be.

Surely there is much to be gained from responsible advancement of science and technology; the problem I have with it is the irresponsible manner in which it is used, and the "globalization" of technoconsumerist culture which threatens all real culture.

Any thing, group, or force which desires to, or by its nature does, interfere with the connection of a people to their culture and land is an immediate and unforgiveable enemy to the people which it threatens. There is a nearly unspeakable loss of culture in Nordic and Nordish people today, and it grows worse by the minute.

The best chance we have of reviving the old ways is to cast away the unnecessary facets of modern life and foreign ways and beliefs. Christianity, Judaism, Islam: all are foreign, and all are unwanted. The only difference one should make on this issue is that of "jihad" against Western nations; to the jihadists we are all christian and jewish filth, as there is hardly a pagan among the whole of our people, and a time may come to decide who is our greatest enemy. Who do we need help to defeat? If we support Christendom during a holy war, we will survive but have an enemy from within to remove. If we support islam we support our own death; or go hide in the hills like dogs.

So it is in the choices we make re: preservation, and keeping alive the Old Faith. What today is a greater enemy? A computer, which we can use as a tool to communicate and to rally support--to spread the ancient words? Or foreign ownership of our lands and our governments thus our people?

For me the choice is obvious, and the reasoning is simple: balance. One must have the right priorities and a desire to achieve balance of modern and old. The Old Faith is the strength of our people. The Old Faith is the will, and the way, to the greatness we once achieved. The farther we stray from who we are the weaker we become.

If the aim is to affect change we need to reconnect with the olden ways and prioritize our goals and enemies.

All things foreign are poison. Foreign words must fall on deaf ears and foreign gods must kneel before us!. We must be masters of ourselves, if we wish to again be masters of our lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hárbarðarson
    I am struggling with making a heavy presence here

Though I have many friends here and refuse to leave them to linger. Friendship does not work this way.
    I respect you as much for struggling as for staying. You are right to do both, I feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast