Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: United North America - Amalgamation of Canada and the United States of America

Last Online
    Saturday, February 11th, 2006 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

United North America - Amalgamation of Canada and the United States of America

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/home.htm

"Is the 49th parallel an unmalleable line, set for all time to be the divider between two parallel worlds? Just why do the United States stop at an arbitrary line? Are we destined to be one nation under two political entities? Is what differentiates our two countries greater than what we share in common? As Europe unites, will North America stagnate and fall behind, squabbling over trivial differences? Are Canadians and Americans really so different? Would Canada stand to gain or lose in being part of a larger group of united States? Would the United States gain or lose from a United North America without borders?"

:
    Why They Hate Us by Joseph Sobran: Western man towers over the rest of the world in ways so large as to be almost inexpressible. It's Western exploration, science, and conquest that have revealed the world to itself. Other races feel like subjects of Western power long after colonialism, imperialism, and slavery have disappeared. The charge of racism puzzles whites who feel not hostility, but only baffled good will, because they don't grasp what it really means: humiliation. The white man presents an image of superiority even when he isn't conscious of it. And superiority excites envy. Destroying white civilization is the inmost desire of the league of designated victims we call 'minorities.' From Sobran's Newsletter, April 1997

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 @ 09:27 PM
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    X-Rays & Uranium
    Religion
    I Exist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Only way I can se a "unification" is if one conquers the other... I personally couldn't care less

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The United States and Canada

Lately, I have heard a lot of talk about people (albeit a tiny minority) who want to join Canadian provinces into The United States or for that matter make an entirely new system that combines the two.

I believe there is an organization out there somewhere trying to accomplish this goal. More frequently I hear about the Quebec problem and how if Quebec does secede from Canada than other provinces, specifically the far Western ones, may want to seek union with the States. They would want this mostly because Quebec is such a large segment of Canada and they would need a stronger entity to join up with unless they want to remain rather isolated.

I have a feeling that most people on the board may be against such a merger in any event and I personally cannot say which way I would fall on the issue...if it's even plausible. However, I do think that given the fact that both countries are New World colonial outposts of Great Britain with a strong Anglo-culture it is atleast worth thinking about if only for the sake of gaining a consensus on the matter. Moreover, it would be interesting to explore the future possibilities, if any, of having a monocultural, that is Anglo-cultural, North American State.

I personally think there are some things that Canadians and Americans have in common...maybe I'm wrong. Most likely I am stuck (longing for?) an older, simpler time. I do, of course, see that there are tons of problems with the suggestion.

So, let me know your thoughts on the matter. Pros, cons, issues, problems, outright disgust at the whole idea, possibilities for preserving Germanic culture (in this case Anglo-American-Canadian...if there even is a commonality between them).

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, what I'm told about this anticipated "merger" is that it would be Canada-USA-Mexico, which I'm totally not "cool" with.

The only real reason I'd want to annex part of Canada to the US, would be because it really bothers me that the main body of Alaska is not contiguous to the rest of the Nation, even though it could be contiguous without draining the ocean (unlike Hawaii).

I wouldn't want to live by Canadian laws, though, that's for sure. Not that ours are so much better. And if we don't get Quebec as part of Canada, I'm not sure I want it at all. :p
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I am certainly against any sort of USA-CANADA-MEXICO merger...but i was asking more about the possibility of a merger between Canada and the US.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am against such a merger because the USA would bring nothing to it. Canada has abundant natural resources. USA is running out.

Québec has had two referenda on the subejct of leaving Canada. Both lost.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    I am certainly against any sort of USA-CANADA-MEXICO merger...but i was asking more about the possibility of a merger between Canada and the US.
    Well, I never heard of a Canada-US merger, only the North American Union.

I think the US and Canada are fine being separate right now. It's just that Alaska thing that bugs me.

If the US and Canada did merge, it would take a long time. There'd be a huge cultural issue, otherwise. I think the general public would be just as opposed to making Canada a part of the states or vice versa as they are to the 51st state being Puerto Rico thing. The American perception of Canada in a few words is: North, Hockey, Maple Syrup, Aye, Blame (South Park). People tend to have a very bad impression of Canada with no real reason.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I don't think that Americans (that I know of) have a very bad image of Canada at all. Sure Americans poke fun at Canadians but its light-hearted. I happen to know many people that love Canada. My mother, for instance, refuses to go anywhere outside the country unless its Canada or England. And lots of friends of mine used to say they were gonna leave and go live in Canada.

Besides that, how intense do you think the "clash of cultures" would be? I don't think Canadian culture would be too radically different from American culture and for that matter Southern culture is probably more different than New England culture for instance. The same for the Plains states, Texas, California, and I am sure (leaving out Quebec for the time being) that Canada has many different cultural flavours thoughout its provinces.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There are many differences, especially in legal systems and how municipalities are set up, et cetera. These would have to be sorted out. But I doubt there will be warm reception, despite supposed "cultural similiarities". All Canadians I've spoken with have seen themselves as completely and totally different from Americans. They hate being equated with them.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I would be in favor of it, but only if it was structure on the US as it was before the Civil War. More like the modern Swiss Confederation, where the current system was adopted in 1849 & based on the then existing model of the United States. Perhaps this Confederation could include Australia, New Zealand & Britian as a Anglosphere Confederation. But first we would have to sort out some domestic issues in the US, like the repatriaiton of the Latino population & maybe the resettlement of the US Negroes to the Caribbean or West Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    I am against such a merger because the USA would bring nothing to it. Canada has abundant natural resources. USA is running out.
    Meaning what? Singapore & Hong Kong have no natural resources, other then location. They are very prosperous. A lot of Canada's natural rsources are already exported to the US. Are you suggesting that Canadians should not sell lumber, petroleum & metal ores to the US ?
    Québec has had two referenda on the subejct of leaving Canada. Both lost.
    Yes, thanks to the votes of the non-Europid immigrant population. eyes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast