Last Online
    Monday, November 27th, 2006 @ 03:26 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bittercreek
    Isn't she from Lapland? :
    Yes she is, but I was talking about the Danubian sub-race that should include 30% of us Finns according to McCulloch. I'm a bit uncertain about what a Danubian should look like, so if anyone has got good representative pictures I'd be glad to see them.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 15th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Trönder/Hälsingetypen
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Racial nationalism/Nordicism
    Religion
    Non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundi
    Danubians are very much like the East Baltic types and they are a proto-nordic group said to have brought the Indo-European languages (Slavic and Baltic) to the eastern parts of Europe. Like Skildur pointed out they are named after the river Danube
    Coon believed that the East-Baltic race was related to Danubians, but the similarities end there.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 15th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Trönder/Hälsingetypen
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Racial nationalism/Nordicism
    Religion
    Non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigel
    I never realised that Finnish was considered an Indo-European language. I had always believed that it belonged to another group entirely, related in fact to Hungarian. Finns and Hungarians, themselves, have told me this, but the above quote casts this belief into doubt.
    Does it share any similarity with Lapp languages and do we know at what point it diverged from the main IE language tree?
    Coon's theory implied that IE languages was a mix between Uralic, Altaic and Caucasian languages, but that does not mean Finnish is IE, of course.

bittercreek
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalevi
    Yes she is, but I was talking about the Danubian sub-race that should include 30% of us Finns according to McCulloch. I'm a bit uncertain about what a Danubian should look like, so if anyone has got good representative pictures I'd be glad to see them.
    The classification by McCulloch based on Coon's work (I believe) was NEO-Danubian (Danubian+Ladogan), not Danubian. Here are images from "Races Of Europe"

The examples on the attached plate image are from Minks, Belarus, Volhynia, Ukraine, the third guy I have no clue about and the last person is from Linz, Austria.

Whoops, found them both here from an earlier topic (sometimes using search can be handy ;-) ).

Danubian
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachme...tachmentid=551

Neo-Danubian
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachme...tachmentid=552

And descriptions in the same topic
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=449&page=2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thanks, that clarified the issue.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VÄRING
    It means that there are alternative theories about the origins of the Finns other than the usual, malicious "Mongoloid" theory which is completely devoid of any truth what so ever.
    Indeed there is. And the one that has been the most widely accepted among scholars during the past few decades is the Continuity Theory (jatkuvuusteoria). In a nutshell, it states that when there's no archaeologically observable interruptions of settlement, nor there can be observed signs of a sudden immigration that would dramatically alter the population during the past 9000 years, the main part of our ancestors must be considered to be the paleo-European hunters who following the expansion of their natural environment moved to present Finland's territory as the glacier slowly melted and the earth was rising. Also, most variations of the theory state that we have spoken a Finno-Ugric language since the neolithic, and place the origin of our language to the middle Volga (but not the origin of the people, like it was previously thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Lundi
    Means next time some crazed “ARYANS OF THE WORLD UNITED FOR GLORY AND AN IRANIAN DANCE LESSON” forum member tries to declare that Finns are directly descended from Mongols you have a link with the writings of the good Dr. Carleton S. Coon to proof otherwise, not that a proof is needed for most sane people anyways. eyes:
    But obviously 20-30 years is too short time that such a brand new theory would have reached the English speaking world. The thing is that these brave and valiant Kebab-Warriors aren't just taking their views off from thin air. There's a few good or decent web pages about the subject in Finnish, but I completely failed to find a decent English description about Finnish origins in the net. Even the "official" pages are telling that "genetically the Finns are 25% Siberian". :O (of course forgetting to tell that according the same concept, the genetical "Easternness", the Greeks are 33% "Siberian" and even the British 13% "Siberian", most other Europeans being about 23%)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, December 24th, 2005 @ 11:12 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Non-hateful Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VÄRING
    It means that there are alternative theories about the origins of the Finns other than the usual, malicious "Mongoloid" theory which is completely devoid of any truth what so ever.
    The proto-Finns were of Uralic, not Mongoloid, origin. And Coon's theories about the supposed 'Danubian' origins of the Permian Finns are obscolete, and thoroughly refuted. Modern Permians present a continuum between Uralic and gracile Baltic types.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 12th, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other than Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sventovit
    The proto-Finns were of Uralic, not Mongoloid, origin. And Coon's theories about the supposed 'Danubian' origins of the Permian Finns are obscolete, and thoroughly refuted. Modern Permians present a continuum between Uralic and gracile Baltic types.
    If so, then how would you interpret the genetical data of Finns? Haplogroups and mtDNA?

Last Online
    Friday, September 12th, 2008 @ 06:56 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Occupation
    Accountant
    Politics
    White Supremacist
    Religion
    Learning Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louhi
    Finnish is not I-E language, never have been and never will be. As for genetics, Finns are considered as old Europeans.
    Althought there are links to dravidic. (southern part of india)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_languages

and rivers etc having names like: "ukki", "kaveri" around there.

yeah, this looking after seemingly unrelated/irrelevant stuff is something i have been keeping busy with the last few months, rather than posting much

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, December 24th, 2005 @ 11:12 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Non-hateful Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louhi
    If so, then how would you interpret the genetical data of Finns? Haplogroups and mtDNA?

Such as the fact that Finns have 60% of the Tat-C genetic marker (present in 86% of Yakuts, etc...)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast