Last Online
    Saturday, February 25th, 2017 @ 01:03 PM
    Married, happily
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hyphenated Europeanism?

How many Europeans are actually of only one nationality? It'd be nice to make a poll for European members to see how many of them are strictly of one nationality. It's too bad that the ones like Phleg would lie and say they're only one.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Hyphenated Americanism

Quote Originally Posted by Nordraserei
    How many Europeans are actually of only one nationality? It'd be nice to make a poll for European members to see how many of them are strictly of one nationality. It's too bad that the ones like Phleg would lie and say they're only one.
    I am unaware of any non-Dutch ancestry. Of course, if I would research my tree back far enough, things would surely pop up.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I would think that many Europeans, especially those living in rural or isolated areas haven't had a foreign ancestor since the early middle ages. There are villages in Alpine Europe that were only accessible by rugged footpaths until sometime in the last century! Hallstatt is one example.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

How many Europeans are actually of only one nationality? It'd be nice to make a poll for European members to see how many of them are strictly of one nationality.
    Indeed, the question which remains is why hypernation is not widespread then. I am 1/4th prussian and 3/4th franconian, still I consider myself strictly franconian in that regard, never even thought about calling me a Prussian-Frank, or something like that.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Re: Hyphenated Americanism

As far as genealogy is concerned, I estimate that, on an average, 90% of all Germans have less than 1/8 (one great-grandparent) non-German ancestors.
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Certainly a good question.

Hell, in my own genealogical research, I uncovered amongst my many Dutch ancestors, several who had married Germans--particularly from near Bremen/Oldenburg. Throw a Norwegian in the mix and we have a veritable Germanic potpourri even before they came to the New Netherlands.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

AW: Re: Hyphenated Americanism

Well, fortunately I can trace my family's history back till the mid-17th century (older records were destroyed in the Thirty Years War). The problem is that categories of nationality are hard to define in the 17th century, as there were no national states but only the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. Of course the name implies that is was inhabited by Germans, but of course there were ethnic minorities. Thinking in nowadays categories is kinda misleading, as Germans at that time lived in what is nowadays the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Poland, Denmark, Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Russia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. My direct ancestors, however, were mostly from Westphalia (on my mother's side) and Berlin, Brandenburg, Silesia and Pomerania on my father's side. And despite Napoleonic occupation in the early 19th century (Westphalia) and Polish and Soviet occupation my family was German. Also keep in mind that back in those days societies were far less mobile than centuries later (both geographically and socially), because they had their farms, guilds and clans which kept them concentrated.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Daglaf

Re: Hyphenated Europeanism? [split from Hypenated Americanism]

I need to learn more about German history in the 16th - early 19th century.
    Is there anything on this site that i could start with?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: Hyphenated Europeanism? [split from Hypenated Americanism]

Apart from the 1/4 anglosaxon ancestry I have from my mother, my father's bloodline traces back to Greeks that were originally descending from the old, aristocratic families of Constantinople that were appointed during the Byzantine Empire as princes of Moldova. They must have spent a lot of decades living at the Russian portion of the Black Sea (mainly Moldova & Ukraine). My late grandfather had grown up in Odessa and was bilingual: Russian and Greek. Recently, during his dying moments, he was whispering prayers in Russian. He was always reminiscing on those green fields of Ukraine where he grew up.

Despite the fact that his family returned to Greece when he was still at a very young age, I always thought he felt more Russian than Greek. He somehow had that imperial Czar-like aura around him.

Therefore, was I to list every small tinge of meta-ethnic influences in my bloodline, I would be a Greek-anglosaxon-moldovan-ukrainian-byzantine-European.

Hyphenated Americans, beat that!

Anarch
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 @ 08:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Politics
    Tradition/revolution
    Religion
    Gnostic traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sv: Hyphenated Europeanism? [split from Hypenated Americanism]

Byzantine aristocracy... Russian Czars... let's marry, shall we?

Hard to top that. My father's family comes from the north-easternmost (is that a word?) parts of Sweden, which is dominated by Finns (not immigrants, but indigenous, so called tornedalsfinnar). My paternal grandmother is native Finnish speaker. So I may be 1/4 Finn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast