Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question North/Center/South/East Divide in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Freja View Post
    I meant Northern European in the same sense as the rest of you, that is including the countries in Central Europe (all of Germany, of course, and also Austria and Switzerland), leaving out Eastern and Southern Europe.

I have always been a Nordicist in the sense that preservation of the Scandinavian people and cultural heritage is what lies closest to my heart. But that does not make me indifferent to the rest of the Germanic countries. On the contrary, I would say.
    How are some Eastern European nationalities not in Northern Europe? Russia, Poland, the baltic states, and even Checkoslovokia are all in the northern hemisphere and are therefore considered Northern European.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
    How are some Eastern European nationalities not in Northern Europe? Russia, Poland, the baltic states, and even Checkoslovokia are all in the northern hemisphere and are therefore considered Northern European.
    Russia is less northern, even geographically, than you might believe to begin with. When I was still up in Aberdeen, Scotland I used to muse about the curiosity of Aberdeen being more geographically northern than Moscow.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Um, all of Europe is in the northern hemisphere.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Czechoslovakia ceased to exist 1992. And Poland, Czech republic or Slovakia aren´t considered to be Northern Europe in Europe. They´re Eastern Europe like Russia or Ukraine.

Maybe a little map can help you:

Eastern Europe=red
    Northern Europe=blue
    Central Europe=light blue
    Southern Europe=green

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Monday, July 18th, 2011 @ 10:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, German, Swiss, Austrian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Pragmatic Pluralist
    Religion
    Christian Deist, Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Map Colors

If I were coloring the map, I would color the map light blue to the Eastern Border of Poland and draw a line straight south to Southern Europe...

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    North Atlantid-Bruenn
    Country
    United States United States
    Politics
    Ethnocentric
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wittwer View Post
    If I were coloring the map, I would color the map light blue to the Eastern Border of Poland and draw a line straight south to Southern Europe...

Why?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wittwer View Post
    You forget the cultural perspective made by such line-drawing (though I fuss with the map a little, South Tyrol is NOT Southern Europe, it should be listed with us of course. ) --- basically the guiding idea behind this is:

North Germanics, British Isles (Both Celts & Germanics), Finnics, Balts = Northern Europe
    West Germanics (minus British Isles) + their countries, France = Central Europe
    Romance (minus France), South Slavs, Albanians, Greeks = Southern Europe
    West Slavs, East Slavs, Hungarians = Eastern Europe

Romania is of course "Daco-Thraco-Romance", but very approximate (look at their numbering system even!) these days to the surrounding Balkan nations. For Switzerland, France and Belgium it'd be idiotic to draw a line in the middle of the country.

We can see this has a cultural and older historical perspective by the Baltic states being included in Northern Europe despite having been caught up in the East Bloc; and it is indeed true that to some respect, one can talk of a Central/Northern European mentality continuum, which is why I'd feel closer in mentality to a Latvian or Estonian than to an Italian or Czech (despite being much more geographically proximate).

This idea about a Central/Northern European mentality continuum has also proved true over at Nordfolk Forum, where it has been essentially a good decision to consider much of Central & Northern Europe (minus France, where we will only consider Brittany and Normandy, for cultural reasons) as "Northern European", the forum atmosphere has been very amicable in comparison with places who let in Slavs of any description; somehow every time you allow Slavs somewhere, there's a huge dividing line.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 01:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    You forget the cultural perspective made by such line-drawing (though I fuss with the map a little, South Tyrol is NOT Southern Europe, it should be listed with us of course. ) --- basically the guiding idea behind this is:
    How about the Walser German settlements in Northern Italy? The Friulians? Who obviously arent Italian, likewise with the Ladinians. Also Padanian seperatists arent likely to consider themselves as Southern European either.

North Germanics, British Isles (Both Celts & Germanics), Finnics, Balts = Northern Europe
    West Germanics (minus British Isles) + their countries, France = Central Europe
    Romance (minus France), South Slavs, Albanians, Greeks = Southern Europe
    West Slavs, East Slavs, Hungarians = Eastern Europe
    I think this map is more accurate:

Hungarians and Croats do not usually consider themselves as Eastern Europeans or Balkanoids for that matter.

The German term Mitteleuropa (or alternatively its literal translation into English, Middle Europe) is an ambiguous German concept.It is sometimes used in English to refer to an area somewhat larger than most conceptions of 'Central Europe'; it refers to territories under German(ic) cultural hegemony until World War I (encompassing Austria–Hungary and Germany in their pre-war formations. According to Fritz Fischer Mitteleuropa was a scheme in the era of the Reich of 1871-1918 by which the old imperial elites had allegedly sought to build a system of German economic, military and political domination from the northern seas to the Near East and from the Low Countries through the steppes of Russia to the Caucasus. Professor Fritz Epstein argued the threat of a Slavic "Drang nach Westen" (Western expansion) had been a major factor in the emergence of a Mitteleuropa ideology before the Reich of 1871 ever came into being.
    In Germany the connotation is also sometimes linked to the pre-war German provinces east of the Oder-Neisse line which were lost as the result of the World War II, annexed by People's Republic of Poland and the Soviet Union, and ethnically cleansed of Germans by communist authorities and forces due to Yalta Conference and Potsdam Conference decisions. In this view Bohemia and Moravia, with its dual Western Slavic and Germanic heritage, combined with the historic element of the "Sudetenland", is a core region illustrating the problems and features of the entire Central European region.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe

Romania is of course "Daco-Thraco-Romance", but very approximate (look at their numbering system even!) these days to the surrounding Balkan nations
    I would exclude from Romania the traditional Hungarian and Saxon populated areas though.

For Switzerland, France and Belgium it'd be idiotic to draw a line in the middle of the country.
    Hmmm, why?

France f.ex. is a country existing out of different ethnic groups and cultural spheres; you got the Basques and Catalans in the far south, Celtic Bretons in Bretagne, Germanics in Alsace-Lorraine and Nord-pas-de Calais, Corsicans,the Occitan ethnic and cultural group, and the north which is basically Celto-Germanic Romances. And everything in between.

I've been in the North, and in the South; a world of differences, certainly in mentality.

We can see this has a cultural and older historical perspective by the Baltic states being included in Northern Europe despite having been caught up in the East Bloc; and it is indeed true that to some respect, one can talk of a Central/Northern European mentality continuum, which is why I'd feel closer in mentality to a Latvian or Estonian than to an Italian or Czech (despite being much more geographically proximate).
    I personly would make an exception for Italy, as, since I know some Northerners; their mentality is quite different from Southerners.

This idea about a Central/Northern European mentality continuum has also proved true over at Nordfolk Forum, where it has been essentially a good decision to consider much of Central & Northern Europe (minus France, where we will only consider Brittany and Normandy, for cultural reasons) as "Northern European", the forum atmosphere has been very amicable in comparison with places who let in Slavs of any description; somehow every time you allow Slavs somewhere, there's a huge dividing line.
    Well, at Germanic-Worlds forum, which is a ethnic European forum with a Germanic and Celtic main orientation, but the only Slavs we allow are Croats and Macedonians, although many Croats and Macedonians do not necesarry consider themselves as Slavic though and there has never been any issues between them with other forummembers. I think the essential issue with Slavs accure when they have opposite ideas concerning German nationalist ideas. A Russian, f.ex. who supports the Russian WWII victory over Germany, will ofcourse lead to problems, hence why such types should not be allowed on boards like Germanic-Worlds, Skadi or Nordfolk. The main problem of Slavs are coming from Serbs, Russians, Poles and Bulgarians, on which Stormfront is a classical example.

On the other hand, you got complicated types among all ethnicities, even among our own. On a Flemish forum I post from time to time there is a huge dislike, if not Hate for Flemish towards Dutch. Having these Flemish on Germanic-Worlds, Skadi or Nordfolk and you got a big drama ahead. No doubt. Regardless they are part of our ethnic group.

Same can be said about Frisian and Saxon seperatists
    who dislike everything being Dutch.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittekind View Post

I think this map is more accurate:
    The map I´ve posted isn´t 100% accurate (what Sigurd said) but this one is just more wrong. Slovakia, Poland, the Baltic states, Croatia, half of Romania, northern Serbia and even Western Ukraine(!) as "Central European" in cultural terms? Sorry, but that´s really inconsistent in many aspects.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 01:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You have to combine the map with the text of the Wikipedia entry of Mittel Europa.

But it is very accurate considering Northern and Western Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast