Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The Paradox of Intelligence

I have been pondering this topic lately, and it seems to me that higher intelligence is somewhat of a paradox:

Main Entry: par·a·dox

3 : one that possesses seemingly contradictory qualities or phases

I will now present my theory/ rambling/idiocy. :laugh:

Evolution has shown that there is(was, perhaps) a positive benefit for greater human intelligence. In fact, I will say that it is likely the most important factor in the evolution of hominids. As intelligence increased the ability to seemingly defy nature's cruel cycle of selection and evolution became more powerful.

We are at a point now where natural selection has little, or no effect on our daily lives. We no longer need to hunt for our food, and the concrete jungles rarely require unabounded intellect or physical robusticity. The paradox is, once an intelligent population removes itself from natural selection(if indeed an increase in intellect was the cause of that change, as is our case) it will decline to a less intelligent state because of the seeming lack of necessity. :speechles

The only other variable that has the possibility to change this cycle would be if that population had become smart enough, before the retrogression, to eugenically select those individuals with higher intelligence and stronger physical features to advance themselves. eyes:

Of course, it can be argued, those traits are from a older, primitive era where there were neccesary. Those traits are no longer of importance today. Will a lack of neccessity for both intellectual and physical capabilities (I have personally seen the reduction of the latter.) due to previous triumphs in them lead to their eventual reduction, and by those means a retrogression to a less intelligent/strong state? What are your opinions? :

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    I have been pondering this topic lately, and it seems to me that higher intelligence is somewhat of a paradox:

Main Entry: par·a·dox

3 : one that possesses seemingly contradictory qualities or phases

I will now present my theory/ rambling/idiocy. :laugh:

Evolution has shown that there is(was, perhaps) a positive benefit for greater human intelligence. In fact, I will say that it is likely the most important factor in the evolution of hominids. As intelligence increased the ability to seemingly defy nature's cruel cycle of selection and evolution became more powerful.

We are at a point now where natural selection has little, or no effect on our daily lives. We no longer need to hunt for our food, and the concrete jungles rarely require unabounded intellect or physical robusticity. The paradox is, once an intelligent population removes itself from natural selection(if indeed an increase in intellect was the cause of that change, as is our case) it will decline to a less intelligent state because of the seeming lack of necessity. :speechles

The only other variable that has the possibility to change this cycle would be if that population had become smart enough, before the retrogression, to eugenically select those individuals with higher intelligence and stronger physical features to advance themselves. eyes:

Of course, it can be argued, those traits are from a older, primitive era where there were neccesary. Those traits are no longer of importance today. Will a lack of neccessity for both intellectual and physical capabilities (I have personally seen the reduction of the latter.) due to previous triumphs in them lead to their eventual reduction, and by those means a retrogression to a less intelligent/strong state? What are your opinions? :
    If you think about it. Nature's all about checks and balances. Intelligence and Physical strength can only be degenerated to a certain point until Natural selection kicks back in.

Because as you know Evolution is driven by natural selection. Based on the principle animals reproduce more than can be sustained.

You do know what the main driving factor in humans is do you? Other humans. There is a point where stupidity would cost you too much. Therefore retrogressive loses in intelligence well be capped.

As for physical strength. The force of nature. Environmental stresses like Diasease will still be strong enough forces as to ensure the proliferation of a body design that is strong enough to resist these forces.

Stig NHF
    Well, we are clearly becoming much dumber. The Thralls and Karls are multiplying at the price of fewer Jarls in the world. As the Danish professor said, every year the people that need help in school and everywhere else increases, how can anyone claim we are not becoming more stupid? This is not only immigrant related , it also affects our own people. I mean , look around you, how many of the people you see from day to day actually read books and ponder upon things and so on. And to put it more bluntly, even the majority of the people that are "awake" so to speak won't even join an organization because they are "too individualistic" or "too busy" or "I'll join later". If you are awake to the danger our people are facing, but you don't do anything about it, then what use are you really?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig NHF
    Well, we are clearly becoming much dumber. The Thralls and Karls are multiplying at the price of fewer Jarls in the world. As the Danish professor said, every year the people that need help in school and everywhere else increases, how can anyone claim we are not becoming more stupid? This is not only immigrant related , it also affects our own people. I mean , look around you, how many of the people you see from day to day actually read books and ponder upon things and so on. And to put it more bluntly, even the majority of the people that are "awake" so to speak won't even join an organization because they are "too individualistic" or "too busy" or "I'll join later". If you are awake to the danger our people are facing, but you don't do anything about it, then what use are you really?
    Just because people aren't reading books means people are getting dumber?

What does being individualistic have to do with Intelligence?

I think people are doing worse in school because there is more to be distracted with in this day an age. You've got The internet,cable TV,Movies, way more distractions than there were 50 years ago.

According to a study the average IQ's of the Western nations are actually going up.

People are just take school less seriously and are less group/community focused these days. Everyone is out there trying to make there own statement.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Primitive man would 'survive' longer in reality. Tribes that lacked (?) the desire & brain power to advance & change the natural world are really, in turn, helping themselves for a more peaceful & prosperous future. Rather than modern mans technology.

The advancement of brain power & greedy intentions has manifested itself into the disillusion that we, as modern 'intelligent & advanced?' humans, are the rulers & controllers of this earth....when actually we are the creators of our destruction.

Sonja
    But Post-Industrial society will change the pattern.

Stig NHF
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    Just because people aren't reading books means people are getting dumber?

What does being individualistic have to do with Intelligence?

I think people are doing worse in school because there is more to be distracted with in this day an age. You've got The internet,cable TV,Movies, way more distractions than there were 50 years ago.

According to a study the average IQ's of the Western nations are actually going up.

People are just take school less seriously and are less group/community focused these days. Everyone is out there trying to make there own statement.

BS! How can you even claim such a thing? Of course they say we are getting smarter, but then today being "smart" can mean anything today. There's "hundreds of types of IQ" according to the latest liberal inventions. I saw some study where average 18 year old British kids were given the same test as average 11 year old British kids were given 100 years ago, like 90 % of them failed the test bigtime. And how can you even think such a thing that one can be a wise person without reading books? You intend to gain your wisdom from television and radio? eyes:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    BS! How can you even claim such a thing? Of course they say we are getting smarter, but then today being "smart" can mean anything today. There's "hundreds of types of IQ" according to the latest liberal inventions. I saw some study where average 18 year old British kids were given the same test as average 11 year old British kids were given 100 years ago, like 90 % of them failed the test bigtime. And how can you even think such a thing that one can be a wise person without reading books? You intend to gain your wisdom from television and radio? eyes:
    There's no way to prove people are getting dumber. All I have to say is there are still plenty of smart people around. Who do you think runs the Universities,Companies,Governments, and yes the web forums the world over. Smart people.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    There's no way to prove people are getting dumber. All I have to say is there are still plenty of smart people around. Who do you think runs the Universities,Companies,Governments, and yes the web forums the world over. Smart people.
    Higher education is increasingly dumbed down. 'Smart' is relative.

Last Online
    Monday, September 5th, 2005 @ 12:29 PM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Intelligence and IQ

First of all we are reading even more books now then what they did earlier.

Second of all, IQ is a quotient which is tested in different ways. Non of these way are good enough to jugde anyone. So by saying that these tests are what we should believe in is not a good thing. If you for example are giving a test to one person today, a new person tomorrow will probably fail, why? Because he have perhaps new information that is probably more relevant for that day. Thomas Kuhn called that for a change of paradigm.

Third of all, I spoke with a woman selling hats to people, she told me that humans brain has grown from the size 45 or 50 to the size 60 and upwards since the midsixties. What does this mean? It means we are evolving as years are going. And also it means that we are getting smarter.

Fourth of all, a person who was giving a lecture in postmodernism refered to another person saying that what is known as the postmodernistic era is that we can only get knowlegde through texts, pictures and videos. We can not get information through other lines. For example if you are seeing a picture, you then would analyse that picture in colors and motive and other things which is in that picture. And by that you have learned what that picture is saying. From that you can then say you have learned, and become more smart than you were for the beginning. And that is typical for postmodernism.
    And here is the link to that lecture:
    http://www.sv.ntnu.no/ped/hans.petter.ulleberg/Harg.htm
    So now I hope that everyone can realize that we are getting smarter and that we also read more books and that IQ is difficult to use as a measurement.

The wind was high, the window shakes,
    With sudden start the miser wakes.
    Along the silent room he stalks,
    Looks back and tremble as he walks...
    Gay's
    The miser and pluthus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast