Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sacred Norse Literature: Have You Any Queries?

Bųndern Ska Gjęnnoppstå Erlingr Hįrbaršarson's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, September 26th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM
    Occupation
    Ósnotr mašr hyggr sér alla vera
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Sacred Norse Literature: Have You Any Queries?

We, at Skadi, understand the some times difficult and toilsome readings of passages, poetics, tales and so forth in regard at our folks' olden words. Tis important to clearly understand the messages and properly decipher the metaphours of these works if a kinsman or kinswoman is to verily learn of by what values, from what beliefs and through what practises our heathen ancestors had sailed the seas of the ancient lifejourney.

Whether you are a northern brother reading the Ķslendinga sögur for the third time, a young lady in need of guidance from the olden energies of the runes or a blessed mother-to-be at want of teaching your self the wisdom ahinde Snorra-Eddas Skįldskaparmįl, we encourage you to express your understandings, your joys, your sorrows and your confusions with us here at Skadi at the hope to not only help you, but to further our heathen selves as well. As a family, tis important to share with each other and teach one another to that which we personally have been enlightened. This is called brother- and sisterhood. We praise such a concept at Skadi and define our selves by such heroic standards.

We understand that these sacred words are more than just words, but rather as fields of ancient thought. We know the thoughts dripping from the bloodroots of our heritage are of personal truths as well. One brother of the snows may interpret some event bespoken in any of the žęttir distinctly to that of another brother and this case may be analogised to a certain heathen symbol withine a žįttur as well.

At behalf of the Skadi family, I would like to gift winter sight and spring growth to all of our seed and extend many welcomes to post your queries and ensight aneath in regard at the literature of the Norsemen.

Erlingr

Fųrst utvanna saa utrydda

Last Online
    Occupation
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some thing I never understood withine the depths of Egils saga Skalla-Grķmssonar- one of Nįttfari and I“s personal favourites- (kvęši, 60-62) was the meaning of the swallow out side the window as Egill was in need to write his drapa of 20 stanzas to save his head from kong Eirik Blodųks and dronning Gunnhild. I remember Arinbjörn sitting up with his kinsman all the night through, and he had gone to sit aside the attic window to make a see at the swallow and suddenly saw a shape-shifter in the form of a bird flying away. What was the meaning of this? Who was this shape-shifter and what had s/he wanted to see?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 25th, 2006 @ 03:26 PM
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Swallow; I found little in the footnotes of the book, only that Nornir ("witches") were often shape-shifters (Icelandic: hamhleypa (singular)). It said that this was very similar to some Latin story when the Devil came as a fly and tried to mislead some guy.

I can research more, but I myself believe 'tis a symbol of evil, something distracting him so he won't be able to save his head. Perhaps 'twas fate or a dķs that came to see what he was up to?

If I find out more, I shall post it here.

Last Online
    Occupation
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, I too believed that twas a dķs who had sat eye on Egill to see of what stirs. The distraction away from Egils writing of the drįpa led me to think of the swallow as a cursed stab of magick from dronning Gunnhild; aside the curse of her derisive behaviour and stubbornnes, she learnt from her Chieftain father, to whom she swore upon his death to never yield the the flow of her noble familys blood, how those with power shall crush those with out it. I know as a child, swept away she was by her fathers frišla, who was a hamrammr and a volva, and was later sent away to become a mastress of seišr. Then a hśstrś became on her to Eirķkr, and hatred for Egill was soon begot.

Honestly, I believe twas she who was the swallow. You and I both are at know of how dearly she awaited the neighing morn, of which she rested certain to give a head-less fate unto our brother Egill! She most likely became the swallow, being the seišmašr she was, and went to see what he was up to at the attic of kinsman Arinbjörn. Do you agree, a Ghormuil?

Last Online
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I do agreed, friend.

Here is more information from Egils saga, copied from another post of mine:

For me, the battle of Brunanburgh is very interesting.

"Egill Skalla-Grķmsson var vķšförull og fór mešal annars tvisvar sinnum til Englands, aš žvķ er hermt er ķ sögu hans. Ķ fyrra skiptiš gekk hann til lišs viš Ašalstein Englandskonung og vann fyrir hann frękinn sigur į Ólafi rauša, konungi Skota, ķ orrustunni į Vķnheiši. Į ensku er orrustan kennd viš Brunanburgh og var hśn hįš įriš 937 e. Kr."

Translation: Egill Skalla-Grķmsson travelled widely and went twice to England, as his saga tells us. The first time, he joined the forces of Ašalsteinn, king of England, and together they conquered Ólaf the red, king of Scotland, in the battle of Vķnheiši (vine-heath). In English the battle is called the battle of Brunanburgh and it was fought the year 937 A.D.

Taken from: http://malfridur.ismennt.is/vor2002/...hallur-eyj.htm

In this battle, Egill's brothre, Žórólfr, died. That was a great loss to Egill, but he wrote a kvęši (poem) about this (as he often did to comfort himself (and once to save his life)) and regained his joy.

Last Online
    Occupation
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was sad when Žórólfr died. Remember you, fręndi, when kong Ašalsteinn set eye at Egill from across the table -where all celebrate of victoury- after Žórólfrs death, with his [Egils] head weighing heavy down and those grey bushy eye brows of him. That was the first time, we saw Egill truly saddened. I was happy to see the comfort Ašalsteinn had shown to Egill and the gifts and silver Egill was gifted as compensations, especially the golden armband, beautiful.

Remember you what he did with his chests gifted from Ašalsteinn those many years later? Hehe, he did the same thing as his father, at his last days, took it and hid it for eternal sleep; one buried it in a hillside/cave and the other in the sea. This was very interesting.

Why do you believe Kveldślfsson and Skalla-Grķmsson did this in their final days? What do you believe they learnt in their tested lives that led them to do this and what are we to learn of this? I feel some thing very spiritual was ahinde it and in their olden wisdom, they are showing us what is of true worth in life and what is to be understood as but mere air.

Praise be to our forefathers at this night, a Ghormuil.

Last Online
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that Egill burried his silver because he did not trust any one to handle it, he might've thought that his silver would be spent on nonsense. Also, he might have thought he would one day come back in the afterlife and get it and bring it with himself to Valhöll to present it to Óšinn. Perhaps that burrying the silver barrels was a sacrifice to Móšir nature or the gods themselves.

Remember that he first wanted to throw his silver off a cliff at Alžingi and listen (he was blind) to the people fight for it? Perhaps he was mad that this plan of his was stopped and decided that if he couldn't spend his silver as he wanted, no one could. He was very avengeful, Egill, a real Viking. Once a warriour, now near blind and old, may be that he was just angry or frustrated.

Praise be to Egill!!!

Last Online
    Occupation
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nįttfari

Remember that he first wanted to throw his silver off a cliff at Alžingi and listen (he was blind) to the people fight for it?
    ...of course, I do. I was foolish to not make a connection from this to his final acts at his deathbed. Well done, a Ghormuil.

Perhaps he was mad that this plan of his was stopped and decided that if he couldn't spend his silver as he wanted, no one could. He was very avengeful, Egill, a real Viking.
    This makes much sense to the way which he lived his life. Remember you when he and his kinsmen were surrounded and captured in this village, in Danmörk I think, and later under this night, they escaped with aide of a farmhand, and had stolen much booty with out any of the villagers being the wiser. Half-way in return to ships, Egill was so angry that he and his band had taken the booty with out honour and having killed no one for it, that he ran back immediately to the village and before the once celebrating, but now shocked, villagers he stood...and killed them all. Egill was very fond of vengeance, as you had said a Ghormuil...a true Viking.

Last Online
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlingr Hįrbaršarson
    Remember you when he and his kinsmen were surrounded and captured in this village, in Danmörk I think, and later under this night, they escaped with aide of a farmhand, and had stolen much booty with out any of the villagers being the wiser. Half-way in return to ships, Egill was so angry that he and his band had taken the booty with out honour and having killed no one for it, that he ran back immediately to the village and before the once celebrating, but now shocked, villagers he stood...and killed them all. Egill was very fond of vengeance, as you had said a Ghormuil...a true Viking.
    Aye!!! 3:

Last Online
    Occupation
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Remember you when an aged Žórsteinn, Laxdęla saga, moved out of the distrct to elude conflect with men who wanted to become leading men, and made passage to move his home to Hrappsstašir after that years voržing? Žórsteinn was accompanied with eleven kinsmen aboard the ferryboat, with Žórarinn at helm, to make the move to Hrappsstašir, when the ferryboat came to be under the violent mercy of Breišafjördur currents and had to be ran agrounde at a skerry where just before they drowned to death in near of Gušmundareyjar...an órkn, larger than any one afore seen, began to swim round the ferryboat over and over, with fins longer than any órkns afore. They say that the eyes at the órkn were as humans eyes, and that the men could not take their eyes away from the sight before them. Just as Žórsteinn gave word to spear it, albeit to no avail, this monstrous storm struck them and their ferryboat...and killed them.

What does this órkn symbolise? Was the órkn a hamrammr or was it of seišr from a völva? Why would it taunt such a great man as Žórsteinn? Was this a test of wisdom for he was so well respected?

I believe that the storm, which greeted them with the warmth of death, arrived because of their wishes to spear the seal-like creature, instead of allowing it to swim free. Perhaps this völva has a connection to the sea and used her connection on her favour after being given threats by spear. Perhaps Ęge or Ran is involved. I am not certain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast