Thread: Norse name of 'Imbolc'

Last Online
    Saturday, March 5th, 2005 @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Norse name of 'Imbolc'

Could anybody please tell me the pre-Xian Norse name of the pagan holiday celebrated on 2 February? I know that the Celts reffered to it is 'Imbolc' and after the spread of Xianity became known as Candlemas. Here in the states it is just another secularized holiday with which very few among the masses are familiar with it's pagan origins, called Groundhog Day. On Google I have also seen it reffered to as Imbolg, Imbolgc brigantia, Lupercus and Disting. Which if any of these was it reffered to as in Scandanavia and Germania in pagan times?

Last Online
    Saturday, March 5th, 2005 @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    After further research it appears as thought "Disting" is the correct Norse name. From http://www.wizardrealm.com/norse/holidays.html :"Festival of the Idises, when the effects of Winter are beginning to lessen and the world prepares itself for Spring. Corresponds to the pagan holiday of Imbolc. Disting is characterized by preparing the land for planting. In ancient times, Disting was the time when the cattle were counted and one's wealth was tallied; thus making it a festival of finance as well. It was said that new calves born during Disting were a sign of great prosperity for the coming year."

Interesting to see on that page that there are also two minor non-Solar based holidays that I have not heard of: Thruseblot in January and Valisblot later this month. Does anyone here on the board formally celebrate any of these three holidays. If so, what are some of the customs that you observe?