mom
    Politics
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Post your favorite painting here

these are some of my favorites I love most of the Pre- Raphelites though Grimshaw, Huges etc
    Last edited by Willowsprout; Friday, March 5th, 2004 at 12:48 AM.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 12:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    Pushkin, what's interesting is that the first picture "Oath of the Horatii" you have pasted is the exact opposite style -both stylistically and politically- of what Adelaide had posted earlier by Fragonard. David was one of the revolutionaries and his style is very didactic and severely Neo-Classical, whereas Fragonard and his Rococo colleagues were painting scenes of court life exclusively for the members of the court. That's a good contrast, especially to have the two prominent examples of the two rival movements right after the other.
    Why thank you! Although I'm somewhat of a Monarchist myself; I still like the heroism and military prowess seen in much of neo-Classical paintings. In fact religious and military/warfare are my two favorite(but by no means only) themes in art.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkin
    Why thank you! Although I'm somewhat of a Monarchist myself; I still like the heroism and military prowess seen in much of neo-Classical paintings. In fact religious and military/warfare are my two favorite(but by no means only) themes in art.
    I agree. I think the Neo-Classical style is much stronger and fresh. Personally, I cannot stand the pastelles of Fragonard and his colleagues and neverending landscapes seem a bit too much. But then, that's what the court was asking for.

As for religious art, I think it is art in it's purest form for the most part; be it pagan or Christian. Religious art has that quality about it that is inspiring and hard to achieve in most other subjects. I don't even want to talk about Modern Art!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Post your favorite painting here

I agree. I think the Neo-Classical style is much stronger and fresh.
    Indeed, although I very much paintings from the Romantic period as well.

As for religious art, I think it is art in it's purest form for the most part; be it pagan or Christian. Religious art has that quality about it that is inspiring and hard to achieve in most other subjects.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Of course I'm biased towards more Christian themed art.

I agree with the 19th century Russian art critic Vladimir Stasov(1824-1906) that art should serve great ideals; basically give visual expression to great and eternal ideals. Art should also express the soul of the nation; particularly the ways and traditions of its people(often the common people in his view). His views influenced the art of Ilia Repin; whose Cossack paintings I posted earlier but also did works like these

I don't even want to talk about Modern Art!
    Me neither; I detest Modern "art". Nothing but immature rubbish; in fact many of the artists even try to make it ugly on purpose. Somehow thats "creativity".

I must say rusalka, you sure do know your art. I find that an admirable quality in a woman.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 01:22 AM
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Adelaide, are you a monarchist, or what? I know you are, so I'm guessing there's also an intellectual reason behind your choosing of that specific painting as Fragonard was the painter of the royalty, and of the style Marie Antoinette so loved and cherished.
    You hit it right on the mark there, Rusalka! Yes, I am a monarchist. I am also a fan of Marie Antoinette's, and I adore the Rococo style and the 1760s-70s.

Last Online
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me neither; I detest Modern "art". Nothing but immature rubbish; in fact many of the artists even try to make it ugly on purpose. Somehow thats "creativity".
    What gets me is how these modern "artists" can draw a line on a piece of paper and get $1,000,000 for it.

By the way-
    "St. Hadrian's Militia by Franz Hals"
    I've seen that painting before! Part of it appears on the cover of "Twenty Years After" by Alexandre Dumas.

Last Online
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pushkin, what's interesting is that the first picture "Oath of the Horatii" you have pasted is the exact opposite style -both stylistically and politically- of what Adelaide had posted earlier by Fragonard. David was one of the revolutionaries and his style is very didactic and severely Neo-Classical, whereas Fragonard and his Rococo colleagues were painting scenes of court life exclusively for the members of the court. That's a good contrast, especially to have the two prominent examples of the two rival movements right after the other.
    I noticed that as well! And Pushkin claims to be a monarchist. (Just kidding, Pushkin... Of course your preference in art doesn't (usually) dictate your political views, though mine go hand in hand with each other. )Neoclassicism... Bleh. Reminds me of the Revolution. But, of course, the Roman Empire is fascinating (though I don't much care for ancient Greece.)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    By the way-
    "St. Hadrian's Militia by Franz Hals"
    I've seen that painting before! Part of it appears on the cover of "Twenty Years After" by Alexandre Dumas.
    Really? I didn't know that. I saw in it in a history book I have and I very much like it.

I noticed that as well! And Pushkin claims to be a monarchist. Neoclassicism... Bleh. Reminds me of the Revolution.
    I'm still a monarchist, but I do admire the major themes and tenets of Neo-classical art. I especially like number one in this list:

http://virtual.park.uga.edu/~232/voc...icism.voc.html

Neoclassicism combines the following tenets:

1. a regard for tradition and reverence for the classics, with an accompanying distrust of innovation

2. a sense of literature as art--that is, as something "artificed" or "artificial," made by craft; hence the value put on "rules," conventions, "decorum," the properties of received genres.

3. a concern for social reality, and the communal commonplaces of thought which hold it together.

4. a concern for "nature"--or the way things are (and should be). This relates back to the distrust of innovation and inherent conservatism of neoclassicism. The artistic rules of old, for instance, Pope describes as having been "discovered, not devised" and are "Nature methodized"; so too, "Nature and Homer" are "the same" (Essay on Criticism 88ff., 135). This belief in "nature" implies a conviction that there is a permanent, universal way things are (and should be), which obviously entails fundamental political and ethical commitments.

5. a concern with "pride" as the root of threats to the above. We might see pride as in part standing for individual self assertion against the status quo ("nature"). Pope:

Of all the causes which conspire to blind
    Man's erring judgment, and misguide the mind,
    What the weak head with strongest bias rules,
    Is pride, the never-failing vice of fools.

Another interesting website about Neo-Classicism in 18th and 19th century France:

http://www.nga.gov/collection/galler...g56-over1.html

With the revolution, French painting resumed its moral and political purpose and embraced the style known as neoclassicism. Even before 1789, popular taste had begun to turn away from the disarming, lighthearted subjects of rococo; as revolution neared, artists increasingly sought noble themes of public virtue and personal sacrifice from the history of ancient Greece or Rome. They painted with restraint and discipline, using the austere clarity of the neoclassical style to stamp their subjects with certitude and moral truth.

Indeed. I maybe a Monarchist, but I still oppose the often decadent nature of the courts and their arts. Indeed, I am a typical Slavophile Monarchist; that is one who believes in a monarch yet has disdain for the aristocracy and love for the common man.

But, of course, the Roman Empire is fascinating (though I don't much care for ancient Greece.)
    Really? I've always prefered Greece to Rome. I especially admire Ancient Sparta.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

(Just kidding, Pushkin... Of course your preference in art doesn't (usually) dictate your political views, though mine go hand in hand with each other. )
    Well my political views often do go hand in hand with my artistic tastes. Like I said, I am a Monarchist but I do believe in the virtues expounded by Neo-classical art; especially one of heroism, self-sacrifice, and public virtue.

Although if it makes you feel better, I largely appreciate art from the Romantic era; which was in rejection of Neo-Classicism.

PS: Yes I knew you were joking to being with.

Last Online
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still a monarchist, but I do admire the major themes and tenets of Neo-classical art. I especially like number one in this list:
    1. a regard for tradition and reverence for the classics, with an accompanying distrust of innovation
    I like that, too.

Indeed. I maybe a Monarchist, but I still oppose the often decadent nature of the courts and their arts. Indeed, I am a typical Slavophile Monarchist; that is one who believes in a monarch yet has disdain for the aristocracy and love for the common man.
    I always knew you had disdain for me!

Really? I've always prefered Greece to Rome. I especially admire Ancient Sparta.
    I'm not sure why I prefer Rome. I just always have. It's weird how people can be attracted to/ not attracted to two things that are alike in many ways... Excuse my rambling.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast