Danish
    Single adult
    Politics
    Patriot, Germanicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Didn't some of the preserved ancient bodies that have been found in the bogs of Germanic Europe, have red hair?

And,
    Shouldn't this article be named "Ancient Germans Weren't So Red-Headed"?

Last Online
    Thursday, March 25th, 2010 @ 11:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Schlesien, Brandenburg, Burgenland, Sicilu- Norman
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Burgenland Burgenland
    Married, happily
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Finnish show much less diversity than other lands where blondness, fairness is common, so selection is higher for these characteristics. Their gene pool is a bit shallow to the point that there are incidences of genetic disorders peculiar to Finns alone:

http://www.vaestoliitto.fi/in_english/genetics/rare_diseases/finnish_disease_heritage/

The Finnish disease heritage (FDH) consists of almost forty rare hereditary diseases that are clearly more prevalent in Finland than elsewhere in the world. These all are particularly rare diseases: the FDH does not include so-called common diseases that are also caused by genes, though only partly (for example cardiovascular diseases). On the other hand, the concept of Finnish disease heritage reversed means that there are many diseases lacking in Finland that are common elsewhere in the world.

A further description is given here:

http://www.findis.org/main.php?action=disease

The demographic history of Finland is typical of many isolates. A small number of original founders, subsequent isolation, rapid expansion and major bottlenecks have allowed genetic drift to mould the gene pool. The vast majority of Finns descend from two immigration waves occurring about 4,000 and 2,000 years ago. The earlier wave involved eastern Uralic speakers, and the later wave, Indo-European speakers from the south. Both Y-chromosomal haplotypes and mitochondrial sequences show the low genetic diversity among Finns compared with other European populations and confirm the long-standing isolation of Finland.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 15th, 2008 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord View Post
    . Tanning easily could be because ancient Europeans were outdoors more in the warmer and sunnier months foraging, hunting, growing foods, and travelling rather than sitting inside their houses like we do nowadays.
    What an insightful observation. The Chaoslord couch potato retro-pigmentation hypothesis. I like it!

.Scear

Last Online
    Sunday, January 25th, 2009 @ 06:57 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian, Czech
    Subrace
    Seriously?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Arizona Arizona
    Married
    Occupation
    AE - Industrial Recycler
    Politics
    None can be trusted!
    Religion
    Shamanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Human Populations Becoming More Divergent

I read an interesting article a couple of months ago on worldwide genetic trends. The general picture is over time was that human populations were quite different, then some major culling of the gene pool and then again now where we are in a major diversifying of the gene pool again. Meaning specifically that all human populations spread out over the world are becoming more divergent and that the different geographical groups are moving in different directions. Examples of this are the spread of partial resistance to malaria in Africa and the increasing rates of blonds and blue eyes in European populations - yes, blonds are not going extinct apparently but redheads are in trouble.

May I recommend the Science Daily Website - always has a fair number or random and obscure studies that never make most websites or news programs.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 24th, 2009 @ 07:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norway (P) + Scotland (PM) + Austria (MP + MM) + Swabia (MP) + Prussia (MM)
    Subrace
    Nordid-Atlantid and Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    AGNOS/Athiest
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Blond hair is something I really do not understand. I've seen half Chinese half White adults having light brown and rarely blonde hair.
    Even Palin's children (1/8 Eskimoe) have fairly light hair

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    I would attribute dipigmentation initially to nutritional matters. I have heard all types of theories, such as natural breeding selection, or the geographical matters, but that would not make sense.

The Sami, who mostly tend towards being of fairly dark pigment, inhabited and still inhabit a similar, if not colder and more northerly climate. And the "blond belt" is at a height which should guarantee most Siberians to be blonde, too, something that does not ring true. And what about the Eskimoes?

I would link it to a insufficiency of Vitamin D for a long time. Fish is an integral part of the Eskimo and Sami diet, but has never been much of a traditional food in most Germanic countries, and there where they have been, such as England, we're talking about 1500 years and other circumstances being less harsh.

I could well believe that this insufficiency in Vitamin D could be balanced by depigmentation, which influences melanine, because less of this vitamin was then needed to survive in the Ice Age.

Or something along the lines. It would also explain the occurence of blonde and red hair with the Australian Aborigine populations - who aren't exactly renowned for a traditionally savoury diet...
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I would attribute dipigmentation initially to nutritional matters. I have heard all types of theories, such as natural breeding selection, or the geographical matters, but that would not make sense.
    [..]
    I would link it to a insufficiency of Vitamin D for a long time.
    There is a distinction between skin pigmentation and hair pigmentation.
    There seems to be no real mechanism that makes the hair automatically lighter if the skin is lighter, light hair also has no involvement in Vitamin D production. Therefor many attribute skin pigmentation to a Vitamin D based natural selection, and hair pigmentation to sexual selection.

Actually, I think light hair is still a little mystery, maybe it simply stems from the fact that we are the children of the son god.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234