Subrace
    Fälisch-Nordid
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Women: Children or Career?

Both men and women can answer in this, but I would prefer to hear the latter's argument. Now, I've never seen this kind of thread before, so I am sorry if it has came up more often than not. However, that being said, what are your opinions on the woman's role within society? Should she, the female grouping as a whole, be more concerned with child-rearing or leading a career - or can she even do both with immaculate execution?

Personally, I feel that the woman's place within the home is paramount for any growing family. A child needs it's mother, and without her he/she is bound to suffer. It must be a "woman's touch" which leads one to feel this way, as they can rear and educate their youths far differently from the male sex. They are generally seen are more caring and devout to their children, willing to risk their lives for their child (that is the stereotypical viewpoint, which I'm sure most women embody).

Equally fair to note is that women's roles within society are changing, and a whole wave of new opportunities are opening up for the female gender. Do not get me wrong, I believe that women, if they choose to, should take up a career if the situation is right - maybe they have a job to support their children, or perhaps they just don't want children altogether, then the situation really changes.

However, is a career more important than motherhood?

I am not one to judge specifically, as my point could be lengthened superfluously; though for argument's sake I would like to hear others' opinions on the matter.

Thank you.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 30th, 2010 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Religion
    Atheist/Realist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Women: Children or Career?

Good Day,

I've voted for "motherhood first", but I have to add some explanation.

For myself, being a mother, motherhood comes first indeed and I think that women are supposed to feel this way, 'cause from the beginnig of time it has been our destiny to give birth to children and take care for them.

But well, times are changing, and some women don't want to have children, which is a little sad, but I prefer them not to, because that's better for both the (hypothetic) child and the woman. If this women feel better with a good job payed with good money, so be it.

What I can't understand at all are women, who give birth to a child, knowing that they will leave it in the care of a stranger as soon as possible, not to loose their occupational status.

Don't misunderstand me......I know (quite well), that many women have to get back to work soon to feed their child(ren) but it's done for necessity, not for ambition, fame or something like that. At best, a woman likes her job and working. But that's far from ambitious, dogged climbing up the career ladder.

On my opinion, you have to choose: children or career.
    I'm ok with both, as long as it's a clear decision and chose children for myself.
    "WPMP3 sagt: was mich zu meiner nächsten theorie kommen lässt
    du bist obelixgleich als kind in einen großen behälter mit koks g
    efallen."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutschland
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Women: Children or Career?

Motherhood must always come first, career second, at least for me. I already had two children, bevor I went back to study at UGA. It was a family "thing."
    Everybody contributed to this effort. It was actually my husband who encouraged me to continue my education. For reasons explained in one of the other Threads in the German section of Skadi. So I will not repeat what I have already written there.

To be a wife and mother is indeed the greatest calling in this life - for me.
    Georgia
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
    Patrick Henry

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 12:19 AM
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I voted “Both are as important as the othe”r, because you can hardly have economic success with childrens and without a career, but if you are to concentrated in your career, and you don't worry about having kids and found an stable couple maybe you'll never find it, or you'll find the right guy/woman when both are too old for thinking in kids. And both will be sucess in your careers but you long for kids all your lifes.

If people care too much for career sucess maybe they would never formed a family.

If people worry about having a family and kids right after they finished high school or when they are still in college, probably this people won't find a success career.

There must be balance. Otherwise they’ll regret one or other thing.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 5th, 2008 @ 06:03 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Capitalism seems to work....
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

children are a career.

if you value climbing the corporate ladder more than raising good children, your priorities are screwed up and society is doomed.

On The Road
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    North Atlantid & Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think it's important for a mother to be at home for the first few years for her child but once they start primary school,I don't see why the woman can't resume her career if she wishes to or if finances dictate so. A lot of men can't afford to support a home and family on their own nowadays.

I couldn't stay at homeuntil they were 16, I would have to work a couple of days a week for my own happiness,it's very important for me to keep myself stimulated in many avenues and I would also always want to have some of my own money and not be entirely dependent on my husband - for his happiness as well as mine. "Climbing the corporate ladder" would have nothing to do with my choice,I couldn't care less about that. It's all about balance.

Naturbursche
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That always depends on how important children would be, and if you want any at all. But i also like it alot when a women makes career. My girlfriend studies medicine and is going to become a Surgeon. Also im positive about if both parents work. The old "Man works, woman stays at home"-cliché is nothing i'd describe as positive.

Gruß,
    Svartr

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Impossible question. People should do as they see fit. Circumstances will wildly vary and morality does not come into the equation.

I oppose government-supplied child care for working mothers. Working parents should pay for their own child care. Of course, government regulations and taxation make private child care many times more expensive than it should otherwise be.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, January 20th, 2017 @ 06:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Danelaw
    Subrace
    Nordoid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Zug Zug
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Chicken farmer
    Politics
    Democracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Both. Women should be required to work and be encouraged to have many children via various incentives (some financial) and restrictions on abortion. Women with 10 or more children should receive a gold medal and Hero status, along with free groceries for life, above average housing, and many other perks.

Mother
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 @ 11:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Westisch
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Raubtierbändiger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My choice is; "both are as improrant as the other"
    I studied at university. I worked in my profession but I have earned less money than my husband. So my husband remained working and I have meanwhile 10 children in old age 17 and 6 years (7 girls and 3 boys). My parents and my friends were horrified when I gave up my career for a large family. However, I have this decision of never regret. I love in a large family to live and I value the experiences which I experience with my children. I was often accused of that I would have accumulated my academic knowledge for free, after I decided to be primarily there for my family. Meanwhile my parents are unbelievably, however, proud of their grandchildren and I enjoy this.
    It is wrong to think that mothers without an income are not productive. In school this one admits despite all difficulties, I am able to explain the children at their homework, help at the preparations for papers and practising for written class tests. I even like to do this because I learn so what the children learn just in the lesson.
    Wer die Wahrheit nicht weiß, der ist bloß ein Dummkopf.

Aber wer sie weiß und sie eine Lüge nennt, der ist ein Verbrecher.

-Bertold Brecht-

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast