United States United States
    Piecrust promises,easily broken
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah, I pretty much said work when they go to school. Meaning, stay at home until they enter school. I would not expect to hand over my child to some random stranger either. I would want them to be able to talk and confide in me before handing them off. Also, I should clarify I meant 'here', not where you're from. It's either old money or people considered 'under the poverty level'. Living 'well enough' doesn't seem to be the case here, as most families are living off the state. It's too expensive, yet they have children, go figure. Do you live on or off base? besides the point, glad to see you taking care of your family. It's rare these days.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Unless it is absolutely necessary, women shouldn't work when they have families. When the children get older and gain more independence, it might be okay to have a stay-at-home job that is not too time-consuming to pay for things her husband doesn't feel are necessary and should come from his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalRose View Post
    Show me a man who can provide enough to raise a family. And where the women can stay home and not have to bring in a second income. I don't see that too often around here. If I do see it here it's because the young couple comes from 'old money'. Make me a believer, curious to see. lol I think it's perfectly ok for a woman to work as long as it doesn't take her away from her duties as mother. Work while they're in school?
    You don't see it too often because it's no longer valued in society. It's not so much that men today are incapable of providing enough (although, I do think the loss of family-mindedness has contributed some to the modern man's choices for a future), but that women have not been taught to look for a provider, and so they become independent. They rely on themselves through their educational and professional achievements. They've also been taught that they are only worth the level of their degree and/or income. Now, the idea of a woman living by a man is offensive, degrading and the behavior of golddiggers. The unfortunate consequence of this is women not having any choice but to work because they used poor judgement and decided to start a family with an unsuccessful man or they are simply unwilling to part with their desires for careers. The traditional family has become limited.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 @ 08:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How do we change this thought pattern in women? Is it simply too late with todays modern so-called values and high costs? Most men here are incapable of providing for their families, depending on the woman to pick up the slack. This is just my observation.. How is it in the rest of the US? Another problem, women are too busy with their careers and taking care of themselves to even look for a potential mate. = No provider, no babies, no future.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 07:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I intend to start my career and invest money earned in the early stages. With a substantial income and sound investments I believe I could support a family.

It's one of my life goals to at least provide the option for my wife not to have to work to make ends meet. Probably because my father's view was the exact opposite

Last Online
    Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 @ 08:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I intend to start my career and invest money earned in the early stages. With a substantial income and sound investments I believe I could support a family.

It's one of my life goals to at least provide the option for my wife not to have to work to make ends meet. Probably because my father's view was the exact opposite

You're headed in the right direction.
    It's amazing how something negative from your father can turn into something positive and greater. Fuels us to do better than our parents did. That is something to be proud of, so turn that frown upside down.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Interesting question. I don't think she should "have" to work, but neither should it be disallowed. After my mother and father split, she started a business from home,, (she had been the worker and he the stay at home dad) as I was only 18 months old and we lived in a small village working away from home was not an option.

Unfortunately if you look at the figures it is rarely possible to have only one working parent. on minimum wage and a 9-5 job the take home salary would be £9150 (after tax and NI) mortgage on a family home is about £400 pm (rent is way more) so that takes £4800 council tax another £1500 so we're now down to 2850 already not enough to live on. So the base line is that you need a wage of about £15,000 after tax to provide for a family with 1 child, without resorting to the benifit system, since that would put the father above the national average it would seem difficult.

The figures I've stated are nasty, and it's true that my mother and her second husband did manage on his wage, (for the mortgage and food) but she still needed her part time income for the bills and when the car broke down etc.

I think personally that the woman should not have to work if she doesn't wish too but I would always do so even if it was only a couple of evenings a week in the corner shop, not just for the money but also so that she gets some time with different people, people where she's not just so and so's mum
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    It is quite easy, the priority should be children, if a woman has time for work besides that, she can work, if not then not.

Men who can't provide for a family should not procreate, at least in a healthy society.

I know in ancient times (like 50 years ago ) when someone wanted to marry a woman, the father usually inspected if the man was suitable for his daughter, and the first question he would ask would be "Can you provide for a family".
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I stopped working when I found out I was pregnant, cause the work would interfere with taking care of my pregnancy. I don't plan to work again until after my child enters kindergarten. Here in Germany homsechooling is illegal so we will have to send the child to kindergarten. So while the child is there I might work a part time job, but I'll see if I can find something to satisfy me. Extra income never hurts. It's a whole different story when the child grows and becomes an adult. A child doesn't need pampering all his life, he needs to learn some independence when he grows, so that he can take care of his own family one day.

So... women should be able to work, but if/when they have children they should take care of their children. Besides, there are many jobs which women are better at than men. Kindergarten educators, teachers would be some. Women are better with handling children than men so a lack of women in this sector would be tragic.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    I don't plan to work again until after my child enters kindergarten. Here in Germany homsechooling is illegal so we will have to send the child to kindergarten.
    Eh? In Germany there is a duty to go to school, that is all, it starts with 6 years of age (varies in some states from 5-7), and lasts for 9-12 (again depending on the state) years.
    Before your child is 6 years old, you don't have to send it to the Kindergarten (which is totally voluntarily), and at any time you can teach your child anything you want. It is just, that during his duty to go to school, you won't have so much time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    Women are better with handling children than men so a lack of women in this sector would be tragic.
    It is complementary.
    Or can you back up your statement?
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    Eh? In Germany there is a duty to go to school, that is all, it starts with 6 years of age (varies in some states from 5-7), and lasts for 9-12 (again depending on the state) years.
    Before your child is 6 years old, you don't have to send it to the Kindergarten (which is totally voluntarily), and at any time you can teach your child anything you want. It is just, that during his duty to go to school, you won't have so much time for it.
    Homeschooling is illegal here. That means I am obligated to send my child to school and anything I teach him at home won't be recognised socially/legally. Do you know some women were sent to jail because they homeschooled their children? He will have to write what he learns in school, the politically correct things, if he will want to pass exams and get good qualifications.
    But the child will make its first steps out of home when I send it to kindergarten. I will send it to kindergarten for the interaction with other children. Besides in kindergarten the child is to small to learn complicated things for the long run, kindergarten is more about learning to make the first steps in social life. I don't want my child to live always at home like a hermit or be a mommy's boy, and he will also not be big enough to be let to interact with other children unsupervised.

And once my child will be starting kindergarten, I may be going to start working again a part time job if I can find a schedule to work while the child is away.

It is complementary.
    Or can you back up your statement?
    It's a known truth, it doesn't need "backing up" that women are better with children, because we have been educating children for millennia, while the men concerned themselves with work and providing income.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast