Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dutch (Still) World's Tallest People...

Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Wales
    Subrace
    Sindarin
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Ontological Cryptanalyst
    Politics
    Religion
    Spiritual Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohenheim View Post
    Aren't people from Montenegro Europe's tallest?
    I always had the same understanding. Although I can't quite remember where I heard that. I will look for it and then edit this post with my findings.
    yDNA: R1a1a1
    mtDNA: H4a1
    Ancestry Painting: 100% European
    23andme Global Similarity: Dead center of English Cluster

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasfippano View Post
    The reason for the Dutch to be so tall, I don't know.
    We drink milk, lots of it. So maybe there is a relation with that.

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    It would be interesting to do a statistical analysis of the relationship between stature and lactose intolerance. Like I said in another thread, the Dutch are not only the tallest people in the world, they also have the world's lowest percentage of lactose intolerance.

I'm sure, however, that there are nations with high percentages of lactose intolerance, yet with a high stature on average. (I'm thinking of certain African nations.) Obviously other variables are at work, but I think it would be valuable to learn about the aforementioned correlations.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, April 17th, 2021 @ 11:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Lightbulb

Dutch Men and Latvian Women Tallest in World, New Study Shows

EuroScience Open Forum - ScienceDaily

Dutch men and Latvian women are the tallest on the planet, according to the largest ever study of height around the world. The research, led by scientists from Imperial College London and using data from most countries in the world, tracked height among young adult men and women between 1914 and 2014. Among the findings, published in the journal eLife, the research revealed South Korean women and Iranian men have shown the biggest increases in height over the past 100 years ... The research also revealed once-tall USA had declined from third tallest men and fourth tallest women in the world in 1914 to 37th and 42nd place respectively in 2014.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0726094434.htm

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Family
    Two sisters
    Occupation
    Wyrd-weaver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

The Dutch are the world’s tallest people – but they are shrinking

Diminution is partly explained by immigration, but mystery surrounds why people with exclusively Dutch roots are also getting shorter

The Dutch, long renowned for being the tallest people in the world, are shrinking, according to research published on Friday.

The diminution of the famously giant populace is partly explained by the immigration of smaller people from other countries and their children being born in the Netherlands, according to the study by Statistic Netherlands.

But it is less clear why people with exclusively Dutch roots, which is defined as all parents and grandparents having been born in the country, are also not as tall as they used to be, although a worse diet could be a factor.

The Dutch retain their title as the world's giants, with the average man 5ft 11in and the average woman 5ft 7in.

Last year more than one in five Dutch men were 6ft 2in or taller. Seven per cent were 6ft 4in or taller. Nearly one in 10 girls born around 1980 grew to at least 5ft 9in.

But that is declining. Men born in 2001 are on average 1cm shorter than those born in 1980, while women are 1.4cm shorter, the study found.

The Dutch shot up for much of the last century. In the 1950s, just three per cent were taller than 6ft 2in and the Dutch were still getting taller on average until 1980 when growth stalled.

The statistics agency surveyed 719,000 people who were born in the Netherlands for the research.
    Dutch not the only nation getting shorter

Gert Stulp, of the University of Groningen, said people were also shrinking elsewhere in the world.

"In the United States, for example, growth is levelling off and women are shrinking slightly. This may be due to the fact that people are eating less well: less varied, more fatty foods. This could also play a role here in the Netherlands,” he told the NOS broadcaster.

However, other nations are shooting up. Men from Montenegro, Estonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina are now almost as tall as the Dutch, with an average height of over 5ft 9in.

The smallest men in the world come from East Timor, Laos, the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea, who are about 5ft 3in on average. The smallest women come from Guatemala, Bangladesh, Nepal and East Timor, where they are about 5ft.

Mark Rutte, the acting Dutch prime minister, met Boris Johnson for a working dinner in London on Friday night.

While Mr Rutte is over 6ft 3in tall, the British prime minister measures a comparatively stunted 5ft 9in.

Telegraph

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234