View Poll Results: What is the proper age to get married?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15-20

1 2.50%
  • 20-25

14 35.00%
  • 25-30

22 55.00%
  • 30-40

3 7.50%
  • 40+

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At What Age Should People Marry?

Account Inactive Hellenic Eagle's Avatar
    Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Subrace
    Greek
    Aristocrat/Idealist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tired At What Age Should People Marry?

What is the norm in your countries of origin?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 @ 11:45 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid-Baltid (Aistin)
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    college student
    Politics
    Environmentalism and eugenics
    Religion
    occultism & Nature worship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenic Eagle
    What is the norm in your countries of origin?
    Oh are we voting for what WE think is the proper age, or for what the NORM is?
    In America the educated get married much too late, often after 30 or even 35. I believe 23-25 is the optimal time to get married and start having kids.

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stríbog
    Oh are we voting for what WE think is the proper age, or for what the NORM is?
    In America the educated get married much too late, often after 30 or even 35. I believe 23-25 is the optimal time to get married and start having kids.
    Yeah, I think maybe 25 for a man and 23 for a woman is in terms of virility.
    But in reality, I think it takes people longer to get some money in the bank and get to a decent stage in their career. So I chose 25-30 (probably late 20's is best of all)

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I voted 25-30 (the man being around 5 years older), preferably after the couple have finished their respective university program/course(s). The man can be up to 35, while the woman between 25 and 30.

From the UN Population Division: World Marriage Patterns 2000 Wallchart

UNITED NATIONS ISSUES WALL CHART ON MARRIAGE PATTERNS 2000

Overview of US Marriage Patterns, Families and Living Arrangements
    Last edited by Glenlivet; Thursday, December 18th, 2003 at 06:28 PM.

Senior Member Ominous Lord Spoonblade's Avatar
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 26th, 2006 @ 12:55 AM
    Subrace
    shape-shifter
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Politics
    pride and power
    Religion
    I built the pyramids
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't think that there is a proper age to get married. It depends on the kind of life someone likes to lead. If a woman wants to be a homemaker, have a large family, and not have a job outside of that, it would be best to marry relatively young. If she only wants two children and a career, well she could get married in her late twenties or early thirties. If someone doesn't want children at all, then it depends solely on when they find someone they want to marry.

I don't think, in general, that it matters at all for a man. He could already have a career and be "ready" to get married at 20, or not until he's 40 -but it also depends on how big a family he wants (men start to get "less-fertile" too) ;-)

I think people should at least be 18 when they are married for the first time. Unless it is an arranged marriage to the Princess/Prince of Agraba or something LOL

After the first marriage (assuming that it ends), it doesn't really matter, does it? It can't. Well, we all know everyone gets divorced these days anyway! :-P
    I envision a world where people dawning long white robes and elaborate headdresses run rampant down the streets, waving their arms in the air while screaming "we've gone mad, we've gone mad", like defrocked monks breaking the silence of ages past.

Spoonblade: Sharper than a knife and twice as deadly.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 01:22 AM
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Why does everyone think the man should be older (even like 5 years older, like someone else said)? This makes absolutely no sense, as women usually live longer anyway. And personally, I'm just not attracted to older guys at all, and I probably never will be. Seems like a bad bargain to me!

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Women, at any age they find a man competent enough to support them. Men, at any age they can afford to support a family by themselves. Ideally, as young as possible (for women) so that they can have their children at the peak of their fertility, and as many as the can afford to. For example, marry with 18, adjust the first year if needed and then have your first child with 19-20. Don't wait too long, the longer you wait, the less ready you will feel. Men can wait a bit longer to marry since their biology is different. Best combination I think is younger woman, older man. If the woman is 18 when she marries, the man should ideally be 23+, have finished studies and have a stable job so that she can afford motherhood and staying home with the children.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:19 AM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Atlantid-Keltic Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Schaumburg-Lippe Schaumburg-Lippe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Late procreation in order to gain valuable autistic people!

Please keep in mind that most men in "Western" countries procreate before the age of 35. This is - from a purely evolutionary point of view - not optimal, because the older a man gets, the more mutations his sperm has undergone, and if no men after 35 would continue to have children, no mutations - probably useful mutations from an evolutionary point of view -would be passed down to the next generation. Progress as far as genes are concerned - and there is no cultural progress without biological basis IMO - depends on the procreation of the older men, so to speak.

This is not my opinion but the opinion of a renowned English geneticist in favour of racial intermixture. It just has to be kept in mind in my view. As necessary a certain segregation of well grown racial stock is in my opinion, as important is progress caused by the famous processes Darwin described of (first) mutation and (then) selection on such sound basis.

However, there are certain risks to late procreation: The older a man gets, the higher the risk for him to father autistic sons. But even in this case, nature often has its benefit rising from the ashes of personal misery of the family affected: Imagine a world without a mild form of autism, the Asperger Syndrome: There would be less famous astronomers and physicists, there would be no Wittgenstein!
    Last edited by Waldstein; Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Math Says This Is the Perfect Age to Get Married

A new study suggests that people should get married between the ages of 28 and 32 if they don’t want to get divorced, at least in the first five years.

Before we proceed to the explanation: Don’t shoot me if you’re older than that and not married yet. These are just statistics and can in no way account for your personal situation, or that last cheater/psycho/narcissist you wasted 18 months on. Nobody’s blaming you. You are a wonderful and entirely loveable person.

Now, moving on.

The study was done by Nick Wolfinger, a sociologist at the University of Utah, and published by the generally pro-marriage Institute of Family Studies. It suggests that people who get married between 28 and 32 split up least in the ensuing years. This is a new development; sociologists formerly believed that waiting longer to get hitched usually led to more stability, and there was no real sell-by date.

Wolfinger analyzed data from 2006-2010 and the 2011-2013 National Survey of Family Growth. He found a sort of upside down bell curve. “The odds of divorce decline as you age from your teenage years through your late twenties and early thirties,” he writes. “Thereafter, the chances of divorce go up again as you move into your late thirties and early forties.” For each year after about 32, the chance of divorce goes up about 5% says the study.

Some wag over at Slate called this the Goldilocks theory of getting married: you have to be not too young and not too old.

There are lots of reasons why late 20s/early 30s would make sense as a time to start a lifelong partnership with someone: people are old enough to understand if they really get along with someone or are just blinded by hormones. They’ve already made significant life choices and taken on some responsibilities. And they may be just financially solvent enough to be able to contemplate supporting someone should the need arise.

On the other hand, they’re not so old and set in their ways that they can’t make the myriad of little adjustments in habits and lifestyle and goals and personal hygiene that marriage requires. They probably don’t have ex-spouses or children among whom they to divide their time, resources and loyalty.

Wolfinger says the curve persists “even after controlling for respondents’ sex, race, family structure of origin, age at the time of the survey, education, religious tradition, religious attendance, and sexual history, as well as the size of the metropolitan area that they live in.” He thinks the reason might be selection bias. “The kinds of people who wait till their thirties to get married may be the kinds of people who aren’t predisposed toward doing well in their marriages,” he writes. This also means “people who marry later face a pool of potential spouses that has been winnowed down to exclude the individuals most predisposed to succeed at matrimony.”

(Again, I refer you to my caveat in paragraph two. It’s Mr. Wolfinger suggesting singles over 32 are not marriage material, not me. )

Other sociologists who cover this waterfront were quick to weigh in with doubts. The University of Maryland’s Phillip Cohen used a different set of data, from the American Community Survey, to say that getting older didn’t mean your marriage had less chance of survival. According to his analysis, the perfect age to get married if you don’t want to get divorced is 45 to 49, which, he notes, is why people shouldn’t make life decisions based on statistical analyses on the Internet.

The truth is: divorce is a difficult social pattern to measure. Many states decline to collect data on it. And since a growing number of people are opting for living together without getting the government seal of approval, counting divorce is becoming less useful as a way of measuring family fracturing.

Still, there are a few truisms backed by research: Having money and a college degree reduces your chances of getting divorced, as does getting engaged before moving in together and waiting to have kids until after the nuptials. Those you can pretty much take to the bank.
    http://time.com/3966588/marriage-wedding-best-age/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gefjon For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts
    There is not an option in this poll for the answer 'never'. How strange!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast