Thread: Romanians & Gypsies (split from "Classify this please")

Last Online
    Friday, August 11th, 2006 @ 12:18 AM
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Romanians & Gypsies (split from "Classify this please")

aha! theres an interesting subject, the romanians! whome ancestors are roma (gypsies), what i dont understand is, why theyre persecuted as a people(the gypsies), when the they originated from India, whome at the time were heavily indo european, who also mixed with persians, then several indo european and aryan tribes, armenians, greeks, medes, caucasics, slavs, hungs(non european), ilyrians, etc....is it simply because they have darker hair? their persecution seems very heavy in the west, esp when hitler killed of Gypsies and Serbs claiming they were mutts? why is it that dark hair makes people impure? do whites not suffer enough persecution amongst others that they must inflit it upon themselves?

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As much as I dislike Romanians (for instance- their theft of Erdély, their treason toward the end of WWII, their attempts to erase Magyar culture in the lands they stole, etc.) I have to point out that Romanians are not descended from Rom people but from Dacians and Slavs, although some Romanians are mixed with gypsies. Gypsies' outward appearance is probably the least of the reasons why they are disliked. If you think gypsies are poor Aryans hated for their brown skin, go live with them for a week. :-P

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Gypsies

Erdélyi cigányok

Kóré Géza

Kóré Géza & Kóré Levente

Nisztor Mihály & Kóré Géza cigányprímások

Gypsies dancing to music - notice their mismatched clown clothes! :-P

Gypsy boy watches Hungarian performers

Cigányok (a pregnant gypsy woman, a rare sight!)

Erdélyen is túli utakon / On the other side of Transylvania
    cigánycsaládok Moldvában / gypsy families from Moldavia

compare with non-Indo-european "Hungs"

Hargita együttes- (Hargita Ensemble, folk group of Hungarian performers)

Hargita együttes again

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

my great grandfather was stolen by a gypsy in the Laz regions as a young child, he never found his family again (after WWI), he ended up growing up living with them, yet they reminded him every day he was not a gypsy, luckily tho, because most gypsies dont. Gypsies dont steal more than just lands lol, however not all gypsies are brown skinned, considering many other ethnicites because assimilated into the gypsy culture. btw are you hungarian? my gf is full hungarian

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

anyone can easily pick the darkest and lightest of each, my gf's cousin is very dark and looks asiatic, and i know a gypsy guy at my gym who has blue eyes and very white skin, perhaps for the most part gypsies are dark, but you have to remember india is a sunny place, compared to the forests of hungary and northern europe/asia...i never said gypsies were WHITER, i just dont like the fact that people attack them for the reason of them being darker...either way, i wouldnt want them in my country lol they can stay in romania, however i like there music!

btw those gypsies look very very, did i say VERY dirty haha, im sure for the most of them if they bathed and dressed like westerners they would blend in

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I like 'gypsy music' too, it originates with ethnic Hungarians around the time of WWI. Gypsies became musicians as it was once thought of as a lowly profession. Traditional Rom music doesn't use instruments.

Some gypsies are "white" I've seen some in person, in photographs and on TV. I heard enough about their behavior to know they are not "Aryan" or white. Generally Romanian gypsies are the absolute worst.

Bulgarian gypsies

Romanian gypsies

Les Roms de Roumanie

http://dmoz.org/Society/Ethnicity/Romani/

I'm a little bit Hungarian myself. :-)

Account Inactive Hellenic Eagle's Avatar
    Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Subrace
    Greek
    Aristocrat/Idealist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gypsies are really a phenomenon.

If they originally come from India, it is strange they have endured for so long. They are today scattered in Europe, living in the countryside with their dirty lifestyle. They are a dangerous people, not all of them, some are not harmfull to the societies next to which they live, but some of them commit many crimes which belong to the record of unsolved crimes of many nations.

In a strange way, most of the gypsies of Europe believe to be from Romania. Even if they have never set foot to Romania, they believe it is their European homeland. The same occurs with many Vlachs.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dont know much about Romania since Im Armenian , so I know that there were Gypsies in Armenia (now Turkey), and also in Smyrna, which the Armenians and Greeks of that region "supposedly" whiped out along with Jews. Ive only met one Gypsy from Armenia, and he looked basically like a middle-eastern, or a Turk. I know there are many Gypsies who also originate in Turkey, because many gypsy clothing and music (symbols, kemenche, etc etc) are from that region. I read an interesting book called THE GYPSIES OF EASTERN EUROPE, It speaks heavily about the Yugoslavian and Turkish Gypsies. However I don't think it's fair to judge people soully on generalizations. As I said, my own grandfather, an Armenian from the Laz regions of Turkey, was abducted by Gypsies, THEY WERE NOT LAZ, as laz are also considered to steal childeren, but Gypsies of the region. He told me they were very kind to him, never told where he was from or who his parents were (he was 4), yet always reminding him of his Armenian herritage. Oddly enough he grew up liking ciganska and turkish music, instead of hating it and them. I think the main reason they didn't tell him he was gypsy was because of his extreme dipigmentation, and Turkish Armenian facial features (much like my facial features). I guess they figured he would have figured he wasn't Gyspy somewhere along the way.

But the question remains, why do we put down the gypsies, when blacks and arabs are taking over the heart of the west as we speak? The gypsies are a cultural entity that I think makes eastern europe what it is musically and culturally somewhat, despite you saying that Gypsy music originates from Hungarian, (the small cello, bagpipe, essentially zurna with a bag, cymbols, cymbaloms, harps) all of which are also Armenian instruments. Are you saying Armenians also stole them from the Hungarians? The peoples of asia minor are far more ancient than magyars. What I meant was the beat of the Gypsy music, be it a combination, or a Gypsy origination, it is what the basis of the Balkan, Ottoman, Asia Minor, Greek, and many other countries use for music, as well as Jews, who steal there music from eastern europeans.

I found a picture of Hungarian musicians
    http://www.tobias-thierer.de/albums/ceoi2001-3/2_08.jpg

they look a lot like my type of Armenian (western or turkish armenian), ive never met a hungarian other than my GF, are they similar with armenians? she doesnt look very armenian. she has dark eyes and hair, but extremely pale skin, with a very small nose and larger chin.