View Poll Results: Do you belive in Evolution

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    128 74.42%
  • No

    44 25.58%
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 344

Thread: Do You Believe in Evolution?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Sciz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Saturday, February 24th, 2007 @ 12:57 AM
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Innsmouth, MA
    Gender
    Family
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    Cartoonist, Graphic Designer
    Politics
    Homebrewing
    Religion
    Skeptic
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Neither. Imo, it is foolish to believe something to be a fact simply because there is no better alternative.
    So you believe in nothing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    No they're not. Just because something is "accepted", it doesn't mean that it is "factual". Theories come and go with fashions and change as human knowledge changes....
    As per above, what then would be an absolute method for which we can descern these absolute "facts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    You're merely proving my point. A fact, or the true nature of something, doesn't merely change because of human ignorance or enlightenment. "Things" exist independantly of us too you know. It is not our understanding of them that determines their nature.
    I am not proving your point, you are misunderstanding mine. Can you diffinitively prove that things exist independently of an individual's perception of them? This semantics arguement of ours doesn't change that my whole point has been that a theory and a hypothesis are different within the scientific community. A scientific theory has substantiated evidence to support it and verify our perception of reality and is, therefore accepted as our best understanding of what you call a fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    So it was once accepted knowledge that the world was flat. It was a theory. It was not a fact, as the world is not flat. And that is not a theory because we can "prove" that it is not flat.
    How do you prove this to be a "fact?" With more substantiated evidence, correct? But, then you haven't proven that it is a fact, only that there is more evidence in favor of your perception of reality. It is the same with the scientific community and the theory of evolution. There is more proof for the existence of the process of evolution than there is against it. Other concepts, so far, have fallen under the weight of scientific enquirery and are therefore, not accepted.
    "As for seriously-written books on dark, occult, and supernatural themes—in all truth they don’t amount to much. That is why it’s more fun to invent mythical works like the Necronomicon and Book of Eibon."
    H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #22
    Senior Member Sciz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Saturday, February 24th, 2007 @ 12:57 AM
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Innsmouth, MA
    Gender
    Family
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    Cartoonist, Graphic Designer
    Politics
    Homebrewing
    Religion
    Skeptic
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Unless the conditions that cause the mutation are controlled by an intelligent force and the outcome of the gene's exposure to the conditions can be with all certainty predicted, yes it is random.
    Why does a process have to be controlled by an intelligent force to not be random. The fall of an object to earth, its speed, velocity and area of impact can be mathematically calculated with precision without the need of an intelligent force acting directly upon it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Mutations (except in controlled conditions - in a science lab - to a degree) are unpredictable.
    So, it's random because we are not observing it directly? If there is a cause and effect, it is not truly a random process.
    "As for seriously-written books on dark, occult, and supernatural themes—in all truth they don’t amount to much. That is why it’s more fun to invent mythical works like the Necronomicon and Book of Eibon."
    H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Gender
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    49
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    A scientific theory is right becuase it has yet to be proven wrong, and it has to be falsifiable by definition, so I see little need to discuss whether Evolution is right or wrong or likely or whatever.

    What would interest me most is : In what do you beleive if not in Evolution? Is it a mere religious thing?
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Gender
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,471
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    AW: Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post

    What would interest me most is : In what do you beleive if not in Evolution? Is it a mere religious thing?
    As I've already stated. I do not believe it all. I consider evolution as what it is - a possible theory.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

  5. #25
    Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Gender
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    49
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Re: AW: Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
    As I've already stated. I do not believe it all. I consider evolution as what it is - a possible theory.
    Do you know any other scientific theory regarding this subject?
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Gender
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,471
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    AW: Re: AW: Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    Do you know any other scientific theory regarding this subject?
    Not yet but the first first theory that came along must not necessarily be the right one.
    Imagine a black box you cannot open and you cannot look into but there come sqeaking noises out of it. It sounds logical that a pig is inside but could do more research and look whether it smells like one etcetera but we can not know it
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Online
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Location
    Transnistria
    Gender
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Yes, I do or should I believe God created anything in 6 days or so?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

    « -Oh my God, but you're a neo-nazi?!...
    -But why neo? »

  8. #28
    Senior Member TacticalMastery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 @ 05:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Age
    33
    Family
    Single
    Posts
    34
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    Absolutely. I don't see whats not to believe.

    An organism recieves a random mutation through its DNA that makes it more fit to survive in it's environment. This mutation is then passed on to the organisms children, then from those children to theirs, etc. (Theres a lot more to it than that, but thats basically what it's all about). It simply makes a lot of sense, and a lot more sense than some "God" did it. Honestly, belief in Gods or magic to me seems quite primitive.

    Not to mention all of the fossil, genetic, etc. proof that there is out there, I can't see how someone couldn't believe in evolution.

    Also, look how easily mankind has been able to selectively breed dogs, cats, and alter crops so they are more productive, etc. Although different from evolution, this shows how easily species can change. This is happening and has happened in nature from the beginning.

    Anyone who's interested should read some books by Dawkins.. Specifically, The Selfish Gene. Practically changed my life

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 12th, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other than Germanic
    Gender
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    It's not so difficult to imagine that evolution has had it's part on creating the world we are living in, by natural selection, adaptation into changing environments, mutations.... It's also easy to imagine that the surface of a ball which has an infinite diameter is flat.

  10. #30
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 5th, 2009 @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Gender
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

    It is a natural process, so it does not matter if it's ignored or not.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Evolution by Cultural Changes
    By Halldorr in forum General Anthropology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Monday, December 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM
  2. What is the value of evolution?
    By SouthernBoy in forum General Anthropology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
  3. Human Evolution: Evolution and the Structure of Health and Disease
    By Frans_Jozef in forum Paleoanthropology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Saturday, November 6th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •