Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Were the Normans Danish, Norwegian or Frankish?

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    They were certainly partly descendants of Norwegian and/or Danish settlers, the question is how many of the Normans, say in 1066, were of Scandinavian ancestry and how many were of other (Frankish) ancestry.

One could look at culture here, most Normans had (usually) latinized Frankish names, such as Henry, William, Richard, Robert etc. In other areas where the Norse settled, they would often use their own names for centuries to come, even if the form changed somewhat over time. However this may not reflect the actual number of Norse that settled, it can have more to do how 'strong' the local culture was. In areas with fairly low populations like parts of Britain, it was easier for the Norse to dominate the local culture than the other way around (even though they would be assimilated even in those parts in the end). France must surely have been different, being very close to Paris, and having a more developed and centralized society, with close ties to the Pope and so on. They were in the middle of the 'elite' culture of the Western world. Also, thhe Norse in France were not their wholly on their own conditions, since they hade signed a treaty with the French king, so they probably felt some urge to adapt to his ways.

We know for sure, that Normans with notable Norse ancestry, like the son of Rollo, had Frankish and not Norse first names, and thus we can see that the names of the people did necessarily not reflect their ancestry.

So the conclusion of all this, is that it would be difficult to know the ratio of Norse ancestry in the Normans later on, and their names and culture won't give us alot of clues. Maybe some modern DNA tests could give us some clues.
    Well, last year they were supposed to take dna from one of Rollo's ancestors in England. That was last year. And I think Norway was helping to fund it. So, after all this time, and no info. being released makes me believe that the Norwegians didn't get the results they wanted? I'm just assuming, I could be wrong, but why the huge delay on the results?
    "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Vest-Agder Vest-Agder
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalist, yet hater of none
    Religion
    Love for Åsatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's said that "Rollo" is actually Gange-Rolv, who is said to be related to William.

Rolv got kicked out of Norway by Hårfagre, and traveled to Valland in France.

Both Icelandic and Norwegian texts confirm this.

And the results taking so long could be from the fact that they are doing the tests on relatives of Rolv, which can diffuse the results a bit?

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "It's said that "Rollo" is actually Gange-Rolv, who is said to be related to William."

It is said, yes. But only an educated guess. More of an assumption based on some similarities between saga/myth and reality. I kind of hope he ends up being Norwegian, that would really shake things up and history would have to be edited again.

"As Rollo's death drew near, he went mad and had a hundred Christian prisoners beheaded in front of him in honour of the gods whom he had worshipped, and in the end distributed a hundred pounds of gold around the churches in honour of the true God in whose name he had accepted baptism.' Even though Rollo had converted to Christianity, some of his prior religious roots surfaced at the end."
    "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see why you in the thread are confused about Rollo? It is a fact that he was a Heathen Norseman (unknown if he was from Denmark or Norway, but one of those). It is also a fact that he was the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. There are other sources on this than just the Sagas, for example you have Anglo-Norman historians.

Edit: I see now that the confusion was if Rollo was Gangner-Rolf. But Rollo's story after coming to Normandy is clear, just not if the two people were the same earlier.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see why you in the thread are confused about Rollo? It is a fact that he was a Heathen Norseman (unknown if he was from Denmark or Norway, but one of those). It is also a fact that he was the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. There are other sources on this than just the Sagas, for example you have Anglo-Norman historians.

Edit: I see now that the confusion was if Rollo was Gangner-Rolf. But Rollo's story after coming to Normandy is clear, just not if the two people were the same earlier.
    I know it's clear. The big ol' question is whether the Normans were originally Danish or Norwegian. I was always under the assumption that they were descendents of Danish vikings. This is actually important to me. It could change alot about my ancestry. I might end up having some Norwegian blood as opposed to Danish as I originally suspected. I have at least 10 names in my family tree that supposedly came from Normandy.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauz R. Waldher View Post
    I know it's clear. The big ol' question is whether the Normans were originally Danish or Norwegian. I was always under the assumption that they were descendents of Danish vikings. This is actually important to me. It could change alot about my ancestry. I might end up having some Norwegian blood as opposed to Danish as I originally suspected. I have at least 10 names in my family tree that supposedly came from Normandy.
    I read somewhere that Normandy was settled by both Norwegians and Danes. Even if Rollo was Norwegian, it doesn't hinder that he may have recruited Danes to come with him. I would think the Normans were a mix of the three tribes mentioned in the headline, Norwegians, Danes, and Franks

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I read somewhere that Normandy was settled by both Norwegians and Danes. Even if Rollo was Norwegian, it doesn't hinder that he may have recruited Danes to come with him. I would think the Normans were a mix of the three tribes mentioned in the headline, Norwegians, Danes, and Franks
    Yeah, i've heard that too. And i'm not doubting that at all. But i'm more or less speaking in terms of large majority. I've read about the Normans so much that i've heard it all. But the recurring theme is that they were mostly Danes. I always assumed that was common knowledge. Until 2010 that is. I'm really eager to know. There hasn't been any updates or anything. Maybe i'll write and ask "The Viking Lady" if she's heard anything about the testing If I find anything out at all ... i'll be sure to share it.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Vest-Agder Vest-Agder
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalist, yet hater of none
    Religion
    Love for Åsatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, the Franks called the Norwegians Northmanni, so it would make sence to think of the Normans as Norwegians.

Northmanni - Normandy - Norman.
    Also, modern Norwegian for a Norwegian person is Nordmann =P

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 06:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    german/english
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    Married parent
    Occupation
    translator german to english
    Politics
    pro-Reich
    Religion
    devotee goddess freya
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In his book El Rey Vikingo del Paraguay which has featured elsewhere in this forum, author Jacques de Mahieu drew attention to inscriptions in caves (alongside runic material) which he thought had a Norman origin. The Vikings of Paraguay (1000-1300) were Danes mainly from the Schleswig region.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12