Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Christian Evangelists Support Israel

American Christian Evangelists Support Israel

Saw this story on Foreign Correspondent tonight.... thought it was interesting....

Israel - Jerusalem Syndrome

Broadcast: 15/08/2006
    Reporter: Mark Willacy
    LEAD STORY
    SERIES 16
    EPISODE 7
    Synopsis
    For Muslims, Jews and Christians, Jerusalem is the Holy City – a central place to the world’s three leading faiths; and a magnet for foreign pilgrims.

In this report, Mark Willacy follows some American evangelicals as they walk in Christ’s footsteps along the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem, sail the Sea of Galilee and take part in mass baptisms in the River Jordan.

Many of these religious tourists take a literal view of the Bible. They told Willacy that modern Israel will be the site of the end of the world.

This is no fringe movement. A series of movies, books and tapes based on a coming Apocalypse have sold 60 million copies in the United States.

The political power of the Christian evangelicals helps to shore up US support for Israel. As one visiting US Pastor says: “I believe that President Bush was raised up by God to stand with Israel. He had a mandate to support Israel.”

But for some believers visiting Jerusalem brings them a little too close to God. Each year, dozens of visitors are diagnosed with the psychotic disorder known as “Jerusalem Syndrome” - first described in the 1930s by a Jerusalem psychiatrist, Heinz Herman. Dr. Herman had noticed that during visits to Jerusalem, some Christians and Jews developed a very unusual behaviour pattern. The syndrome is now claimed to afflict about 100 people a year.

As Yitshak Fhantich, a former undercover agent for Shin Bet, Israel’s domestic spy organisation, tells Willacy, “If someone talks to God, it’s OK, he’s praying, but when God talks to you, you’ve got a problem.” Israeli authorities monitor these visitors closely, as they are regarded as a potential security threat.

Some are found wandering the desert in hotel bed sheets, others stride about Jerusalem singing psalms. They believe they’re the Messiah, other characters from the Bible, or that God is speaking directly to them.

All relatively harmless, if somewhat disturbing. But authorities believe that potentially, there’s a more sinister aspect to Jerusalem Syndrome – the potential for exploitation by radical groups.

A radical small minority of Jews want to dismantle the third holiest site in Islam – the Dome of the Rock and the nearby Al-Aqsa Mosque – in order to rebuild a Jewish temple on the same site that was said to have been destroyed by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago.

It’s feared these radical groups could harness the passion and psychosis of misguided Christian pilgrims. The last time the Al Aqsa mosque was damaged was in 1969, when a mentally unstable Australian, Denis Rohan, set it alight. Rohan said he was acting on divine instructions.

Sheik Ekrima Sabri, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, tells Foreign Correspondent, “If they harm or destroy the mosques, the revenge will come from all over the world, not only from Palestine. They should know they will face a huge reaction.”

source :
    http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2006/s1710680.htm

Last Online
    Thursday, June 5th, 2008 @ 05:03 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Capitalism seems to work....
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: American Christian Evangelicals Support Israel

im no evangelical, but its been made obvious to others on this board that id much rather israel suceed then the rest of the islamic world.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

the USA will always support Israel as long as they have economic interests in the region. they are partially spiritually connected, but this is on the outside. no one wants to say that the USA is connected to Israel because of economics but they are....

as a nonsequitor i wish Clinton had killed Bin Laden when he had the chance......then the world might not be dealing with all this middle east crisis stuff.

Last Online
    Monday, July 19th, 2010 @ 10:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nätdeutsch View Post
    im no evangelical, but its been made obvious to others on this board that id much rather israel suceed then the rest of the islamic world.
    Israel is not in the islamic world, true christians should forge an alliance with islamists not israel. Islam is much closer to christianity than western liberalism.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

you are right, israel is not in the islamic world, it is among it. i will never ally myself with islam which seeks to destroy western culture.

trivia:
    name one islamic run democracy

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

you are right, israel is not in the islamic world, it is among it. i will never ally myself with islam which seeks to destroy western culture.
    Interesting, since I am too, seek to destroy current western culture.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Monday, July 19th, 2010 @ 10:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

trivia:
    name one islamic run democracy
    todays "western culture" is liberal sickness and not western at all. democracy is about the worst form of government you could think of, but if you like... siria, iran, lebanon and most countries. unlike the west, people arent persecuted there for their ideas.

Last Online
    Monday, March 8th, 2010 @ 07:49 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, possibly French Canada
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    retired college graduate
    Politics
    Right Wing Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to believe that there are 'good' Jews and 'bad'. I do not so much decry the inordinate Jewish control of the media and economics as what they have done with this power that they wield. The West, indeed, is decadent, and in our head-long plunge into crass materialism coupled with the degeneration that idle time and unbridled, unchecked pursuit of pleasure and erosion of moral values has engendered, we indeed need another rennaisance. On the other hand, I support the aspirations of Jews who wish to establish and maintain a Zionist state, and support their right to exist. Being Caucasian myself, I very much value the inestimable contribution that our race has made in terms of culture and invention. So, although I am a Christian, I am concerned about the preservation of the entity, (our race), which has been the well-spring of said culture and invention. With all due respect to other races, perhaps nothing delineates and demonstrates the intrinsic and crucial importance and effect of the presence or absence of the Aryan as that of the Western Hemisphere. In the United States and Canada, we have flourishing, progressive countries exquisitely show-casing Aryan culture and invention. Conversely, in Mexico, Central and South America we have an example of what happens when this Aryan influence is diluted or virtually non-existant, namely a rag-tag, poverty-infested collection of Third World failures. Hmm, I am off-topic, sorry. In any event, I find some common ground with Natdeutsch in regards to rampant Islam which is currently over-running Europe. Gadhaffi is bragging that the Muslim world will shortly engulf and conquer Europe without a shot being fired. Europe, awake!

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raboy View Post
    todays "western culture" is liberal sickness and not western at all. democracy is about the worst form of government you could think of, but if you like... siria, iran, lebanon and most countries. unlike the west, people arent persecuted there for their ideas.
    did you seriously just say that?

people in the middle east arent persecuted for their beliefs?

no they arent persecuted they are assasinated and killed. if you oppose anything kim jung il says, you get killed. the word "democracy" is illegal there. in china, google searches for "democracy" turn no results. in iran there are torture chambers for those who speak ill of their "president"

the countries you listed are as liberal as scandanavia is conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast