Thread: How Many Frisian Speakers Are There?

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    National Capitalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How Many Frisian Speakers Are There?

How many people are left that speak Frisian these days? From what i have heard most of the traditional Frisian speakers have now adopted the Dutch language in order to fit in more with Dutch society.

On a similar note, how closely related are Dutch and Frisian to each other as languages?
    I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger.
    I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night.
    Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power!
    I AM BEOWULF!

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago @ 12:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,114 Posts

Re: How many Frisian speakers?

It would be 60 % of the Firsian population, according to this document (in dutch).

54,8% are active speakers, 94% has passive knowledge. The number is steadily declining.

Kids learn it at school, though, but they aren't known for using their language.

On a similar note, how closely related are Dutch and Frisian to each other as languages?
    Fries has a few sub branches, but even I, and I'm Flemish - I understand what they're talking about - some exceptions excluded. The Black Prince, who is Frisian - and knows all about this matter - more than I do - could give you a first hand account.

The Black Prince?
    "If we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” ― Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 02:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Ašelakhaišśs.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Dutch is descended from Old Low Franconian which is descended, along with High German, from Old German. Frisian is descended from Old Frisian (surprise!), which, along with English, is descended from Anglo-Frisian. Both Anglo-Frisian (also known as Ingvaeonic) and Old German are memebers of the West-Germanic Branch of the Germanic language family tree.

So English is in fact more closely related to Frisian, than Dutch is to Frisian. Now due to roughly a Millenium and a half of geographical separation, and close interaction between the Dutch and the Frisians, Frisian is now more similar to Dutch than it is to English. Although English is still closer to Frisian than English is to Dutch.

An old Frisian saying goes like this:

"Brea, būter, en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk”

It doesn't even require a translation.

I'm sure the Black prince could make a small table comparing English, Frisian and Dutch cognates.
    -Hyge sceal še heardre, heorte še cénre, mód sceal še mįre, žż śre męgen lytlaž. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Last Online
    Monday, December 25th, 2006 @ 12:10 AM
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi Jamopy,

I'm Frisian (Friesian/Frysk/Frisk/Friese/Fris/Frees/Fries/Fryes/Frijes/Frisoi/Frisii/ etc..). Once we where the greatest threat of the Frankish Empire and the Danes/Norse, when Friesland stretched from Flanders to Jutland (although I doubt that all inhabitants felt themself Frisian). Nowadays we recide to a province of the Netherlands named Friesland and some areas in Germany (Ost-Friesland, Nord-Friesland).

Considering your questions I will divide them in several parts and try to answer them on my best.

From what i have heard most of the traditional Frisian speakers have now adopted the Dutch language in order to fit in more with Dutch society.
    I live in Friesland (Dutch province), although our language is under pressure it has a protection status within the EU, meaning that the language is subsidised to be educated on schools and that all official papers (within the province) must be in Frisian and Dutch written. Further more it is the right of every Frisian within the Netherlands to speak and write his own language when in contact with the authorities since Frisian is the second language in the Netherlands.

Unlike the tales told by intolerant/ignorant "Hollanders" from the Randstad (large urbanized area combing Amsterdam and Rotterdam + urban areas in between) Frisians are very polite and usually speak Dutch to other Dutchmen, or English to Englishmen, they are not to proud/stubborn for this.

The percentage of inhabitants of Friesland according to modern data (2006) that still speak Frisian at home is estimated about 33% to 50%.
    In the villages and farmsteads the common language is still Frisian and in the towns it is 50/50 while in the large towns (Leeuwarden, Heerenveen, Sneek, Drachten, Harlingen) its estimated much less...

One should however take into account that a large component of the nowadays Frisian inhabitants is not or only partial Frisian E.g. a lot of Frisian sons of farmers have emigrated to Denmark, Canada, America or Eastern-Europe in the last two decades because of strict Dutch environmental laws and taxes, while a lot of other Frisians has jobs elsewhere in the Netherlands and moved towards (therefore adapting).

Like Thiedischer explained it has got close related since the last millenia, although one should notice that onto the 12th century the counts of Holland still named themself "House of Vrieslant" (meaning Dutch prov. South- and North-Holland, previously known as West-Friesland) a similar wave is seen in linguistics, f.i. until the 13th century the Frisian language put a large mark on the Dutch language while the roles changed in the 14th century.
    Nowadays Frisian is influenced by a Dutch/English language while Dutch is only influenced by a English influence.

For some general information about the Frisian language I made a thread about half a year ago, however it shows statistics from the "90's"(I think Parsifal used the same statistics ) and not new ones from "2006":

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=45439

For a global comparing of different Germanic languages I once started a thread (in my early time on Skadi). It consists out of terms probably known in Germanic times and still known now (e.g. agriculture, war, etc..):

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=43473

Ofcourse I'l be glad to show Thiedischer a small comparisonof terms, although Im pretty sure that he knows already that early Medieval English can hardly be distincted from Medieval Frisian.

in follow up, English, Frisian, Dutch, German:

Sheep, Sheep | Skiep, Skiep | Schaap, Schapen | Schaf, Schafe
    Cow, Cows | Ko, Kei | Koe, Koeien | Kuh, Kühe
    Key, Keys| Kaai, .. | Sleutel, Sleutels | Schlüssel, Schlüssels
    Sweety, Sweets ? | Swyd, Swydsjes| Zoetje (snoep), Zoetjes | Süß, Süß
    Boat, Boats | Boat, Boaten | Boot, Boten | Boot, Boote
    Master, Masters | Master, Masters | Meester, Meesters | Meister, Meisters

counting:

one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.
    ien, twa, trije, fjouwer, fiif, sijs, sān, acht, njoggen, tsien.
    één, twee, drie, vier, vijf, zes, zeven, acht, negen, tien.
    ein, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Excellent summary The Black Prince. It's good to see Frisians on this board too, there's been a long time a lack of it (at least, the ‘previous time’ when I was member here...)

Last Online
    Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 @ 08:55 PM
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Having a longtime companion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to the last figures there are currently about 350.000 people who still speak Frisian. There are 642.998 (january 2005) people living in Fryslān.