Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does 'Tolerance' Mean to You?

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mad What Does 'Tolerance' Mean to You?

If you have an opinion, valid or not, that goes against that of so called progressive thinkers you are almost always placed in an 'ist' category ie: sexist, racist.

Many people who claim to have open minds, are only open minded about the things that they agree with and refuse to give the time of day to ideals that contradict them. (And they all generally agree with the status quo.)

What does 'Tolerance' mean to you ... Agreeing to Disagree over something you dislike and being willing to overlook it, or Accepting something completely. It seems to me that the lines between acceptance and tolerance have been blurred.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well I keep meaning to post, but everytime i come here i have 7 or more pages of posts to read through lol ...

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tolerance is keeping an open mind and using one's critical faculties to analyse an opponents arguments. That's how I see it, anyway.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 4th, 2008 @ 08:40 PM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    Politics
    libertarian
    Religion
    Manichaean Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tolerance? Allowing others to think and do as they wish, unless the doing part impedes on another person's rights. Yeah, I know that is probably a very cloudy definition.

At least, that's my personal definition of tolerance. Some people are intolerance of intolerance; I merely wish to understand it.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 7th, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Franco-Norman
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    University Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Tolerance to me is leaving an openmind to all things in life, examening and experiencing them. This then leads to formulating an opinion. For example, if at one point in one's life they are tolerant, to lets say racial mixing, they will not only "tolerate" it but try to figure out whether in reality it is worth tolerating. If the person then examins the effects of racial mixing they will then, by looking at the results of what they have found, decide whether they tolerate racial mixing or will be intolerant to it. I think in reality there are two stages of tolerance. The first stage being tolerant to everything, examining then forming an opinion. The second stage being you discover whether you agree with that certain aspect or not, you then either grow tolerant or intolerant to it depending on your own thoughts.

Personally I think there is definetly a limit to which one can be tolerant. Sometimes tolerance isn't the best thing.

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Demigorgona
    If you have an opinion, valid or not, that goes against that of so called progressive thinkers you are almost always placed in an 'ist' category ie: sexist, racist.

Many people who claim to have open minds, are only open minded about the things that they agree with and refuse to give the time of day to ideals that contradict them. (And they all generally agree with the status quo.)

What does 'Tolerance' mean to you ... Agreeing to Disagree over something you dislike and being willing to overlook it, or Accepting something completely. It seems to me that the lines between acceptance and tolerance have been blurred.
    As to discussions with others over ideas I'm very much into the idea of "agreeing to disagee" with someone. As to society as a whole I think tolerance should be allowed to the point of where it hurts, not beyond (as in doing damage or harm to people, phyiscal property, etc). Every society has to have a limit as to tolerance. Our modern understanding of "tolerance" has been somewhat skewed thanks to our rad-lib friends (reds, Marxists, multi-cultists, whatever you want to call them) to beyond general historical allowances as they abused the term back in the 1960's thruout our Western Europeon nations. 1968 was a critical year in America, France, Britain, especially; that was the year "mass" protest had their most powerful effects. I have some video tapes of rock bands from 1968-1969, Woodstock, etc, you have to see them to see just how low things got. The Byrds on this one tape from England's "The Beat Club" were obviously stoned out of their minds; Woodstock literally had folks wandering around naked (that's not freedom, that's licentiousness, quite a difference) The idea of tolerance was abused as they greatly expanded the definition of that term for their purposes during that time as a device to break our societies (ie "pushing the envelope", "expand your consciousness", etc). Bear in mind, the Marxists who promoted the nonsense in our Western Societies did not tolerate the same in their own states, ie China, Soviet Union, Eastern Europe; this broadened self-destructive understanding of tolerance was, and is, aimed primarily at our Western Europeon states for our consumption. In a similar way someone delivering arsenic to someone by way of food makes sure not to ingest the same. I once saw for instance a book on the old Soviet Union that showed a youth in court whose crime had been to write a message on a mirror, something quite childish; he was given a harsh sentence for "hooliganism". The Marxists in their own states are thus very much "law and order" and do not buy their own propoganda.

While it is true "the Wall" has fallen in Germany and the ostensible Soviet governments do not appear to be in power now I do very much agree with those defectors who are of the opinion that the Marxists are still very much there (and here) pursuing their same aims. That due to the fact of coagulating resistance to Soviet expansion which reached a peak in the 1980's, they merely changed tactics. When the West has decayed enough (and here is what I think the primary purpose of multi-culturalism is, to weaken us), China and Russia will openly join forces to attack and (God forbid!) crush the West. Once they achieve power (and once more God forbid!) they will not tolerate what our Europeon states did in the 1960's with the protests etc; they know how they came into being and will not tolerate someone trying the same with them. Many naive Westerners who helped to bring about the New Dark Age will be in for quite a surprise at that time as to what a controlling state it will be; very likely even more "terrible" than those "bad old days" of America's 1950's.;-)

What ever happens, it seems Antonio Gramsci's quest for legitimacy has failed. Particularly in America, these folks would not have obtained positions of power had they said openly what it was they desired, even now that is largely true; deceit was used on their part and the abuse of the language, ie the term "tolerance". Thus, the Reds remain, and probably always will, the illigitimate political bastards they have been since stealing the Russian people's freedom in '17 with their armored cars driving into Moscow.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

From NPR's Present at the Creation

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/graduate/

http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheGraduate/tg11.jpg

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Post Re: Tolerance?

Quote Originally Posted by NormanBlood
    Tolerance to me is leaving an openmind to all things in life, examening and experiencing them. This then leads to formulating an opinion. For example, if at one point in one's life they are tolerant, to lets say racial mixing, they will not only "tolerate" it but try to figure out whether in reality it is worth tolerating. If the person then examins the effects of racial mixing they will then, by looking at the results of what they have found, decide whether they tolerate racial mixing or will be intolerant to it. I think in reality there are two stages of tolerance. The first stage being tolerant to everything, examining then forming an opinion. The second stage being you discover whether you agree with that certain aspect or not, you then either grow tolerant or intolerant to it depending on your own thoughts.

Personally I think there is definetly a limit to which one can be tolerant. Sometimes tolerance isn't the best thing.
    Self-driven tolerance is the only way.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Everybody is tolerant AND intolerant. Its just a question of priorities.

Really "tolerant" is just a complete idiot who doesnt feel and think.

I'm tolerant in a certain way, but my tolerance has certain limits, and so it is with everybody.

So to say "be tolerant" is just idiotic, especially if its about things which affect me, my collective, my ideals and probably the whole world.
    To be tolerant towards destructive behaviour means just to be ignorant and indifferent.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 13th, 2004 @ 06:17 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Great Ideals
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everybody is tolerant AND intolerant. Its just a question of priorities.
    Yes we owe our tolerance first to our family...and than to our community(race).

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Tolerance means putting up with the intolerable, no different than "picking your poison" when drinking alcohol. You can build up resistance to your own senses and fool yourself into temporary adaptations, but you are still ruining yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast