theocrat/Corpor/Organic/Folkish
    Religion
    antidual/theocrat/panthei/monist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cognate Gods Names (Ind-Eur)

Orthodox academics either outright reject or just have not considered the idea that deity names of many different cultures around the world could be etymologically related other than within a few language families like Germanic (Grimm) and Indo-European (Bruce Lincoln). However, I have found many possible name connections during my studies.

Although I am interested in finding cognates worldwide I am here only going to make this thread/topic to focus on Indo-European (Germ, Celt, Ital, Greek, Slav, Balt, Ind, Iran, Armen, Illyr, Phryg, Thrac, Hitt).

A problem I have found with this subject is that often major/well known gods in one culture turn out to be connected with minor/lesser known gods in other/s and so the problem is that I often don't have very complete lists of the minor gods of the various cultures. So in this thread/topic I am asking for your help in either compiling completer lists of minor gods of pantheons, or offering possible suggestions for specific deity-name correspondences in the languages/cultures where there are gaps in the lists of cognates I post (& evidence for/against the "possible" ones).

(Also if there are any god(desse)s/deities you'd like to know if I already have or can find correspondences for or my ideas/opinions on?)

----

#1 Njord/Nereus (sea/storm):

definate cognates:
    Nor/German Njord/Nerthus, Celt Llyr/Lir/Lara, Greek Nereus/Narkissos, India Nara, Armenia Nar Tsovinar/Nor Mard, Phrygia Sangarios,

possible:
    Roma Lara?, Balt Juras mate?, Slav Jurata? or Zarya?, Hittite Inara?

* Lara = a Naiad.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Re: cognate gods names (Ind-Eur)

Good idea for a thread.

Here's a straight forward commonplace one;
    Russian Perun - Lithuanian Perkunas - Norse [with a gender shift] Fjorgynn.

Our British Llyr, Irish Lir, has an interesting parallel in an alternative name for the Norse sea God Aegir - Hler. However, I am informed that this was a mere coincidence.

I've seen interesting phonological comparisons between our Woden and Athena. Does anyone have any detail on this one? I can't remember where I read it now.

I've seen discussions too, of Apollo having a Hittite [or Luwian] predecessor, of similar name.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

ON Tyr/OE Tiw/OHG Zio/PG *Tiwaz=Gk Zeus = Lat Dies and Jupiter (Dies Piter) = Sansk Dyaus= PIE *Dewos/Dyeuz

Sansk Manu=PG *Mannaz/Mannwaz ("Mannus" in Tacitus)

Gk Ouranos (Uranus)= Sansk Varuna

Gaulish Taranis/Tanarus= PG *Thunraz= ON Thorr/ OE Thunnor/ OHG Donar

OHG Ostara/ OE Eastre/ ON Austri/ *Austra = Lat Aurora=Gk Eos

ON Hel/ OE Hel/ E Hell/ OHG Hellia/ Goth Halja/ PG *Khalja/Khaljo= Indian Kali

Have you looked at Grimm's Teutonic Mythology? A must-read!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-I...opean_religion
    http://www.etymonline.com/
    http://www.northvegr.org/lore/grimmst/index.php
    Excellent website.
    -Hyge sceal ðe heardre, heorte ðe cénre, mód sceal ðe máre, þý úre mægen lytlaþ. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Unfortunately what you want doesn't, and never did exist. The gaps you find are present for that very reason. In short: "Germ, Celt, Ital, Greek, Slav, Balt, Ind, Iran, Armen, Illyr, Phryg, Thrac, Hitt" all took disparate and on occasion antithetical spiritual paths leading to the ultimate disintegration of the Aryan substrata (when and where it was present), and linguistic substitutions and anihilations (when and where cognates probably had an affect of some degree). Moreover, your desire to find "world-wide" cognate connections for dieties will prove most futile. For a further explanation on this, see Evola's "Revolt Against the Modern World" as well as Alfred Rosenberg's "Mythos of the 20th Century" for the Philosophical/Spiritual reasoning; and below for the academic.

Anthony Arlotto, Introduction to Historical Linguistics (New York 1971). [particularly good introduction for non-linguists]

Emile Benveniste, Indo-European Language and Society (London 1973). [Contains cultural as well as linguistic material.]

Carl D. Buck, A Dictionary of Selected Synoynms in the Principal Indo-European Langauges (Chicago 1949).[A wonderful old reference work. Lists and discusses synonyms and cognates for a variety of ideas (arranged topically) in over 30 Indo-European langauges. Now available in an affordable paperback reprint edition.]

N. E. Collinge, The Laws of Indo-European (Amsterdam 1985). [Catalogs real and alleged sound changes in IE families and languages. Fairly technical]

Antoine Meillet (trans. S. N. Rosenberg), The Indo-European Dialects (Huntsville 1967). [This and the two following works are by one of the great masters of the field, but are still relatively clear and accessible.]
    ----- (trans. Gordon B. Ford, Jr.), The Comparative Method in Historical Linguistics (Paris 1967).
    -----, Introduction a l'etude comparative des langues indo-europeennes (Paris 1937).

Holgar Pedersen, The Discovery of Language (Bloomington 1959). [Includes historical perspective on how these discoveries were made.]
    Andrew Sihler, New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin (New York 1995).

Oswald Szemerenyi, Comparative-historical linguistics : Indo-European and Finno-Ugric (Amsterdam 1993).

Calvert Watkins (ed.), The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots (Boston 1985). [Note the extensive introductory essay. Much of the same material can be found in the first and third editions of AHD.] Werner Winter (ed.), Evidence for Laryngals (The Hague 1965). [Evidence from the various IE languages. Highly technical.]

Râdulescu, Mircea-Mihai

(1975). The Indo-European Cognates of Daco-Romanian Strúgure 'Grape; Bunch'.
    (1984). Illyrian, Thracian, Daco-Mysian, and the Substratum of Romanian and Albanian.
    (1987). The Indo-European Position of Illyrian, Daco-Mysian and Thracian: A Historico-Methodological Approach.
    (1994). The Indo-European Position of Messapic.
    (1996). Fairies, Flowers and Magic Daco-Romanian zîna and Its Indo-European Cognates.

Ramat, Paolo
    (1976). Linguistic Reconstruction and Typology.
    (1999). On Categories and Categorization.

Ranero, Anna M.
    (1998). An Old Indo-European Motif Revisited: The Mortal Combat between Father and Son.

Rasmussen, Jens E.

(2000). The Growth of IE Ablaut: Contrastive Accent and Vrddhi.
    (2001). Against the Assumption of an IE "*kwetwóres Rule".

Rauch, Irmengard

(1981). What is Cause?
    (1982). Uses of the Germanic Past Perfect in Epic Backgrounding.

Reichardt, Kristin M.

(2000). Curse Formulae in Hittite and Hieroglyphic Luwian.

Reiss, Charles

(2002). Towards an Explanation of Analogy.

Renfrew, Colin

(1987). Old Europe or Ancient Near East? The Clay Cylinders of Sitagroi.(1998). The Tarim Basin, Tocharian, and the Indo-European Origins: A View from the West.
    (2001). The Anatolian Origins of Proto-Indo-European and the Autochtony of the Hittites.

Replogle, Alexander Bruce

(1980). Social Dimensions of British and German Bell-Beaker Burials: An Exploratory Study.

Rhodes, Richard

(1997). On Pronominal Systems.

Ridley, Richard R.

(1976). Wolf and Werewolf in Baltic and Slavic Tradition.

Rimantiené, Rimuté

(1980). The East Baltic Area in the Fourth and the Third Millennia B.C.

Rimantiené, Rimuté & Gintautas Chesnys

(1990). The Late Globular Amphora Culture and Its Creators in the East Baltic Area from Archaeological and Anthropological Points of View.
    (1996). Pan-European Corded Ware Horizon (A-Horizon) and the Pamariu (Baltic Coast) Culture.

Ringe, Donald

(1995). Tocharians in Xinjiang: The Linguistic Evidence.
    (1997). On the Origin of 3pl. Imperative -nton (Grk.).
    (2002). Tocharian B s.p 'and'.

Ringe, Donald, Tandy Warnow, Ann Taylor, Alexander Michailov, & Libby Levison

(1998). Computational Cladistics and the Position of Tocharian.

http://www.bharatvani.org/books/rig/ch7.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/61/8.html

http://www.iras.ucalgary.ca/~volk/sylvia/Kurgans.htm

http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/eng...20/indoeur.htm
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Last Online
    Friday, October 3rd, 2008 @ 09:26 AM
    Subrace
    mixed Alp/Medit/Nord or Balt
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    lonely
    Occupation
    self-scholar/research
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many thanks for your responses/replies! I will deal with each of those deities (Eos, Thor & Donar (not same name!), Uranus, Mani, Tiwaz, Apollo, Athena/Othin, Perun) in the next posts but the more there are the more time it is going to take as I am a bit of an obsessive/compulsive perfectionist (tho patience is not a strong virtue of mine either).

Suut:
    I have found plenty of proof that it does (so) exist and I hope the forthcoming posts will convince "expert/authority/professional" sceptics.

For a faster (spoiling) preview of what is coming (and/or for correspondences outside of Ind-Eur) I have already posted some in past at:
    http://www.simaqianstudio.com/forum/...php?t5526.html
    (I also posted it on allempires and stirpes). But don't look if you don't want coming surprise/s to be spoiled!

----

#2 Ares (war/hunting/storms):

Definately:
    German Ear/Irmin/Jarl, Greek Ares/(Eris/Iris/Eros), Slav Yarovit, Armenia Ara(y), Hittite Jarri,

Probably:
    Celt Eriu/Arawn/Arthur, India Jaras/Arjuna, Iran Eraj/Iraj,

Possibly (not):
    Italia Virtus?

* Etruscan Laran.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Re: Cognate gods names (Ind-Eur)

Thor & Donar (not same name!)
    Yes, they are indeed. If you have a theory to the contrary, I'd like to hear it. Because I'm afraid there aren't too many scholars that would deny that these are one and the same.
    -Hyge sceal ðe heardre, heorte ðe cénre, mód sceal ðe máre, þý úre mægen lytlaþ. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    lonely
    Occupation
    self-scholar/research
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thiedischer:
    it will give me great pleasure to present my evidence that Thor and Donar are prob not (originally) cognate (root) names. I will go away now and try to organise it (again) and then come back and post it. Actually I have found quite a few conventional derivations/etymologies to be prob wrong like that.

----

# 3 Freyr/Priapos (fertility):

Definately:
    German Freyr/Freyja/Fjorgyn/Frikka, Greek Priapos/Aphrodite, Italia Flora, Slav Spor/Perchta/Perun, India Prajapati, Hittite Peruwa,

Possibly:
    Albania Prende, Iran Peri? or varan?

Note: no Celtic version yet. Bran/Brendan and Freyr seem similar in names, mariner natures and genealogies, but I don't know of Bran being also/alt connected with fertility.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    lonely
    Occupation
    self-scholar/research
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay I made an fast effort and organised the Donar and Thor entries:

#4 Poseidon/Donar (waters/storms):

probably:
    German Donar/Thunor/Ran/(Dan/Danp/Forseti), Celt Eil Don/Eilton /Addanc/Brendan/Manawyddan/Danann, Greek Poseidon, Balt Udens mate, India Danu; Italia Tonans/Totans/Fortuna/Portunus/Ritona/Neptune, Illyria Tomor.

* Poss (not) Hurri Aruna?

(For interchange/variation of vowels &/or of consonants &/or of waters/storm see outside of I-E especially: African Tano, Maori Tuna, etc.)

----

#5 Thor/Indra (storm/war/hunt, sea/storm):

Probably:
    German Thor/Tyr/(Hoder/Vidar), Greek Doris/Adrastea/Aether, Celt
    Taranis/Andrasta/Adraste/Arthur/Idris, India Indra/Durga, Iran Tur/Druj/Thraetona, Armenia Tork, Illyria Shurdi, Hittite Tarhunt/Taru, Phrygia Adrastea,

Possibly:
    Thracia Zibelthiurdos?, Slav Trojanu/Stribog/Triglav?

* (Outside of I-E note particularly similarity with: Finn Turisas/Taara, Mesopotamian Adar, Assyrian Asshur, Phoenician Thur, African Adro.)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 16th, 2017 @ 11:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Cro-Magnid+slight Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oswiu
    I've seen interesting phonological comparisons between our Woden and Athena. Does anyone have any detail on this one? I can't remember where I read it now.
    I doubt it. Woden, Odin etc. are derived from Proto-Germanic *wôdanaz, alternatively *wôdinaz (< *wôdenaz), constructed on the nominal *wôthuz, which conveyed the notion of "spiritual rage" or something very similar. The Proto-Indo-European root assigned to this word is *wet- (< older *H2wet), which denoted "to blow, inspire, spiritually arouse". The older form survives into Greek: *H2wet-mo- > *awet-mo- > *aetmos > atmos ("breath, vapor"), as in English atmosphere, but the alleged association with Athena seems fairly remote. Afaik, there have been no successful attempts at explaining her name.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 16th, 2017 @ 11:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Cro-Magnid+slight Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Robin
    it will give me great pleasure to present my evidence that Thor and Donar are prob not (originally) cognate (root) names.
    You are hard pressed to convince anyone that these central items are not cognate. The attempt to disprove this constitutes a gratuitous and perhaps even irrational act in itself. ON Thórr derives from PGmc *thunraz, as does OHG Donar. The sound changes involved are perfectly regular.

Imo, most of your purported cognates call for serious doubt, especially as you give virtually no etyma, nor any kind of explanation. Please forgive me if that sounds harsh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast