Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Results 141 to 147 of 147

Thread: The Amish & Pennsylvania Dutch/Germans

  1. #141
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Gender
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammish View Post
    Not sure you understand, religion has little to do with it.
    I'm not sure you understand, that Amish aren't the ones responsible for Pennsylvania Dutch artwork that is also in the Shenandoah and elsewhere. Amish, like the Quakers, are plain folk according to their religious beliefs. Reformed and Evangelical Germans are responsible for much of what is considered Pennsylvania Dutch culture, not the Amish.

    I don't know what you object to in this. It's a corollary to what you wrote and something I have been told many times, like I hadn't heard it before.

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2018 @ 09:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Lowland Scots, Pennsylvania German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    Pugetopolis
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pixels
    Politics
    Public Lands Libertarian
    Religion
    Gnostic
    Posts
    301
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    76
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    I'm not sure you understand, that Amish aren't the ones responsible for Pennsylvania Dutch artwork that is also in the Shenandoah and elsewhere. Amish, like the Quakers, are plain folk according to their religious beliefs. Reformed and Evangelical Germans are responsible for much of what is considered Pennsylvania Dutch culture, not the Amish.

    I don't know what you object to in this. It's a corollary to what you wrote and something I have been told many times, like I hadn't heard it before.
    I have no objections to what you wrote, just threw in a clarification.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammish For This Useful Post:


  4. #143
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Gender
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    I wish that all German Americans thought of themselves as cultural heirs of the Germanic colonies--English, Dutch and Swedish, rather than anomalously "Heartland American" but with bipolar obsession to Europe. This social disloyalty, by force of numbers, has contributed to cultural osmosis. Nobody came to America to be German, but Germans did come to an English America, as German subjects of the King of England. If Germans look to New Amsterdam as the basis and cultural hearth of all subsequent Continental West Germanic immigration and settlement, it would be natural. After all, Dutch and Deutsche have a common origin before the colonial period. It would also explain the size and influence of New York, with the Mid-Atlantic trail across America, through Chicago and into Los Angeles.

  5. #144
    Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    SpearBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Location
    Central
    Gender
    Age
    52
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Posts
    4,513
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,634
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,244
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    I wish that all German Americans thought of themselves as cultural heirs of the Germanic colonies--English, Dutch and Swedish, rather than anomalously "Heartland American" but with bipolar obsession to Europe. This social disloyalty, by force of numbers, has contributed to cultural osmosis. Nobody came to America to be German, but Germans did come to an English America, as German subjects of the King of England. If Germans look to New Amsterdam as the basis and cultural hearth of all subsequent Continental West Germanic immigration and settlement, it would be natural. After all, Dutch and Deutsche have a common origin before the colonial period. It would also explain the size and influence of New York, with the Mid-Atlantic trail across America, through Chicago and into Los Angeles.
    Most people of German decent living in America came long after America freed itself from England, the first big wave being in the 1840s. There were even later waves and still Germans trickle into America today. Most came for land, hence the high German/American populations in the Midwest especially the rural areas.

    On the Amish up until six months ago I lived around several Amish groups and the article that Siebenbürgerin posted is very accurate about the Amish views on technology with just a few slight variations I have noticed and discussed with them. Community is everything to them, when they work "outside" meaning off the farm they even set a radius of how many miles they can travel for work and what mode of transportation is allowed, more modern settlements will a allow a hired van while stricter groups will not.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:


  7. #145
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Gender
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    Most people of German decent living in America came long after America freed itself from England, the first big wave being in the 1840s. There were even later waves and still Germans trickle into America today. Most came for land, hence the high German/American populations in the Midwest especially the rural areas.

    On the Amish up until six months ago I lived around several Amish groups and the article that Siebenbürgerin posted is very accurate about the Amish views on technology with just a few slight variations I have noticed and discussed with them. Community is everything to them, when they work "outside" meaning off the farm they even set a radius of how many miles they can travel for work and what mode of transportation is allowed, more modern settlements will a allow a hired van while stricter groups will not.
    Today, I went to Yoder's Country Market in Knott County and the food is average. I was just passing through for work, as I do everyday, making me get to my next stop a few minutes late. It wasn't worth it. I can get the same selection anywhere, Amish or not, except for the large selection of pickled goods. I was charged credit by the girls in costume, only to ask questions and realize that it was likely, a theme of ex-Amish. I was not impressed at all with the bait and switch to spend money.

    I think I can identify with my Palatine ancestors who assimilated, rather than the other Germans who are too good for us. They self-alienate from the rest of us and it's a snobbery not unlike the hordes rampaging across the border. Prince Albert was a snob too. He was from a minor aristocratic house that only recently made it to the top, but had scorn for the ancient dukes of England. I'll stick with old Anglo-Saxons, NY, VA and PA Dutch--even Hessians who had a change of heart.

  8. #146
    Senior Member Herr Rentz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    510
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    333
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    545
    Thanked in
    269 Posts
    They remind me of characters from The Handmaid's Tale.

  9. #147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 12:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Gender
    Posts
    644
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    633
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    639
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Theres nothing wrong with the Amish. Peaceful and hardworking and they sell good quality goods.
    I haven't been that way in years.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:


Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, October 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
  3. Folklore of the Pennsylvania Germans
    By Ulf in forum Folk Art & Culture
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Monday, September 1st, 2008, 11:59 PM
  4. Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking
    By Gefjon in forum Food & Drink
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
  5. Pennsylvania Dutch Are Of German Heritage, Not Dutch.
    By Götterschicksal in forum Netherlands & Flanders
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Monday, August 18th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •