Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Anthropological Remarks on the Swabians

  1. #1
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    May 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Gender
    Posts
    5,484
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Post Anthropological remarks to the Swabians

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryggviulf
    Seufz, ja. Bavaria is racially a country where Dinarid, Nordid and Alpinid race, in its ethnical origins, the glorious German tribe of the Baiern is a composition of the culturally Romanized Celtish population and then the Germanic Baiuvarii and other Germanic tribal elements who settled there in the time of the Völkerwanderung and Germanicized the country.

    Okay, now open the next poll, so that we get through all that: the Swabians also have partly Celtic blood in them, and in some west German areas (Mosel valley), there is a certain old Mediterranean element.
    Hellpach defines a Swabian face present in the surrounding areas on the lines Stuttgart-Constanz and Augsburg-Bern: a remarkeable chin, quite angular appearing as a levelled arch or horizontally, the mouth is broad and closed giving the impression of being sealed-up, while the corners create its characteristic "mounth's corner shadows".
    The Swabian face is acknowledged as controlled, taciturn and predominantly serious-minded, but also very melancholic, hating to give their inner core to the public and behaving reserved.
    Qualities pertaining to the Faelid race, even if it lays off from their main territorial distribution.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Location
    Deutſchland
    Gender
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans3108
    Hellpach defines a Swabian face present in the surrounding areas on the lines Stuttgart-Constanz and Augsburg-Bern: a remarkeable chin, quite angular appearing as a levelled arch or horizontally, the mouth is broad and closed giving the impression of being sealed-up, while the corners create its characteristic "mounth's corner shadows".
    The Swabian face is acknowledged as controlled, taciturn and predominantly serious-minded, but also very melancholic, hating to give their inner core to the public and behaving reserved.
    Qualities pertaining to the Faelid race, even if it lays off from their main territorial distribution.
    Deutsche Physiognomik, a good book. But did he really interpret the Swabian face, the Swabian Gauschlag as Faelid features?

  3. #3
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    May 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Gender
    Posts
    5,484
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryggviulf
    Deutsche Physiognomik, a good book. But did he really interpret the Swabian face, the Swabian Gauschlag as Faelid features?
    No, it's my own interpretation, but it's one way or the other of some UP providence, reminding that Stuttgart represents in Coon's opinion a isolated patch where the Bell Beaker Alpine-Borreby type has survived, this Gauschlag could be linked with the latter, though in some literature Faelids come by as both mesocephalic and brachycephalic, judging from the fact that in NW Europe long-headed Borreby types have been identified, one encounters some difficulties to hold them apart.

  4. #4
    Member Triglav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Location
    European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    Fairness
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans3108
    No, it's my own interpretation, but it's one way or the other of some UP providence, reminding that Stuttgart represents in Coon's opinion a isolated patch where the Bell Beaker Alpine-Borreby type has survived, this Gauschlag could be linked with the latter, though in some literature Faelids come by as both mesocephalic and brachycephalic, judging from the fact that in NW Europe long-headed Borreby types have been identified, one encounters some difficulties to hold them apart.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the Bell Beaker culture was Dinarid. Can you provide a few pictures of the type you described?

  5. #5
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    May 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Gender
    Posts
    5,484
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Triglav
    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the Bell Beaker culture was Dinarid. Can you provide a few pictures of the type you described?
    Lots of pictures, but no scanner for the moment to digitilize them.

    The Bell Beakers were a composite population with mainly predominant Dinarid corpus, a strong Nordic elements and Alpinids, although the Zone Becher type in West Europe and a belt with its northern peak in Paderborn descending to Budapest was curvo-brachycephalic and modelled like the Grenelle Alpines, but they seemed to have longer faces and were high-vaulted.

  6. #6
    Member Triglav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Location
    European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    Fairness
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Post

    From PM:

    What about this specimen:

    Figure 3 in http://www.legioneuropa.org/Racediv/...Papers/p12.htm

    - the geography would match. Is that it?

    Another question: is curvo-brachycephalic something like globular?

    Frans's answer:

    Well, the Ladin-speaking Swiss with his relatively long face comes close to this Zone Becher type..

    curved occiput, personally some Lapps and Gorids have real globular heads, while the western types have retain a certain Cro Magnon quality...
    Last edited by Triglav; Tuesday, November 18th, 2003 at 03:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Location
    Deutſchland
    Gender
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Post

    Funktioniert nicht, der Link.

  8. #8
    Member Triglav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Location
    European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    Fairness
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryggviulf
    Funktioniert nicht, der Link.
    There you go: http://www.legioneuropa.org/Racediv/...Papers/p12.htm

    I guess I know what the problem was. I copied the abbreviated link that is displayed if it's too long, so there was no result. I corrected my post.

    Bleiben wir international, Thorburnulf .

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Location
    Deutſchland
    Gender
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Triglav
    Bleiben wir international, Thorburnulf .
    Ich bleibe deutsch, bis man mich ins Grab senken wird...

    But let us write international (=English).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Location
    Deutſchland
    Gender
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Post

    I split this out from the "Are Bavarians Germanic" thread, as it is a topic of its own.

    With regard to the supposed Faelid element among the Swabians, you are in good company, Frans. In the "Baur-Fischer-Lenz", I can find in the Lenz part within a longer description of the mental type of the Faelid race the sentence: "Westphalia and Swabia are known as stubborn" (p. 746, edition of 1936), though this supposed Faelid element in Swabia isn't nearer explained.
    The typical Sparbüchsenmund of the Swabian face strikes indeed as Faelid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Donauschwaben: Swabians in the Danube Valley
    By Frans_Jozef in forum Germanic Diaspora, Enclaves, & Influences
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Tuesday, October 30th, 2018, 03:03 PM
  2. "Danube Swabians" Screening Tour
    By Mööv in forum Film, TV, & Performing Arts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, March 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
  3. Candidate Defends Nazi Remarks
    By Gardisten in forum Canada
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 21st, 2011, 07:24 AM
  4. Germanic Settlement in Iberia (Visigoths vs Swabians)
    By Kadu in forum Extinct Germanic Groups
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
  5. ANC Disturbed by Tutu Remarks
    By Verðandi in forum Southern Africa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •