Procreation of Gods
    Politics
    European Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post What Does Skadi Mean?

I wonder what the name of this forum mean ? Anyone knows ?
    " Je ne sais si Dieu a de la haine ou de l'amour pour les Anglais, mais ce que je sais, c'est qu'ils seront tous boutés hors de France, sauf ceux qui y périront..." Sainte Jeanne D'arc

"I don't know whether God has hate or love towards the English, but what I do know is that all of them will be deportated out of France, excepted those who'll perish here." Saint Joan of Arc.

http://www.unic.org.dz/massinissa.jpg

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 09:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

«The name Scandinavia itself derives from Skađin-awjő (meaning; the Isles of Skađi, and for those who do not know; Skađi is a Teutonic Goddess!).» -- Vĺrg Vikernes

Also, she is the wife of Njörd and the mother of Freja.

-Sigrun

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 09:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SKADI

Old Norse Skađi, variant Skade

Frequently referred to as the goddess of skis or snow shoes, she travelled on skis, carried a bow, and hunted. She was the daughter of the giant Thiazi [Old Norse Ţjázi, variant Thiassi].

Thiazi was the son of a very rich giant named Alvaldi [Olvaldi]. When Alvaldi died Thiazi and his brothers Idi and Gang divided their inheritance by each taking a large mouthful of gold.

After Thiazi was killed by the Aesir as related in the section on Idun, Skadi took up arms and went to Asgard for vengence. The Aesir offered her compensation for the death of her father - she was allowed to choose a husband from among the gods.

There was only one small catch, she had to pick her new husband based only on the appearance of his feet. She picked Njord by mistake, assuming the best looking feet must have belonged to the god Balder.

As further compensation Skadi demanded that one of the Aesir make her laugh. Hence, Loki tied one end of a rope around the beard of a goat and the other end of the rope around his testicles, he then pulled on the rope making both the goat and himself bellow.

As a final form of appeasement Snorri tells us that Odin threw Thiazi's eyes into the sky turning them into stars. This contradicts a passage in the Poetic Edda in Hárbarzljóđ which has Thorburn claiming to have been the one to kill Thiazi and fling his eyes into the sky.

After their marriage, Njord and Skadi could not agree on where to live so they took turns going to Thrymheim (Skadi's abode after Thiazi's death) in the mountains for nine nights and then Noatun on the shore for nine nights. Skadi didn't like Njord's home, and he didn't like her's, so they split up.

From the Ynglinga Saga we learn that after Skadi left Njord she became involved with Odin and had numerous sons by him, one being Saeming who is also listed in the Prose Edda as a son of Odin. However, in the preface to Heimskringla Snorri writes "Eyvind Skaldaspiller also reckoned up the ancestors of Earl Hakon the Great in a poem called 'Haleygjatal', composed about Hakon; and therein he mentions Saeming, a son of Yngvefrey." The last thing we know about Skadi is that she was the one who positioned the venomous snake over Loki's head after the Aesir bound him.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~cherryn...cgi/Skadi.html

Last Online
    Saturday, November 5th, 2011 @ 08:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    Frá öllum fjórum landshornum
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It means damage in Icelandic. So I find it quite weird to have a forum named "damage forum". I hope I don't offend but this is what it means. Shouldin't it be Skad's forum if it is an anglicanized referense to Skađi?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veinan View Post
    It means damage in Icelandic. So I find it quite weird to have a forum named "damage forum". I hope I don't offend but this is what it means. Shouldin't it be Skad's forum if it is an anglicanized referense to Skađi?
    Germanic culture is being damaged through forced mass immigration and multiculturalism. So, I would say that is an appropriate name.