Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Re: Sv: How Open Minded Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotpatrik
    I am in no way an anti intellectual and i'm strongly pro knowledge and intelligence, but to me this does not equal homosexuality, pedophilia/drug use or any other abnormal difference as i put it in my previous post.

Quite the opposite, i think the two are of completely different natures, the first being intelligence and intellectual thinking, a quest for knowledge, and the other being simply degenerate behaviour and having nothing to do with the progression of our societies, or more correctly, nothing to do with a positive progression of our societies.
    I would say your statements are in general correct but there is always more than one side to a coin. The topics you mentioned have been discussed extensively on other sections of the forum, so I don't want to go deeply into them. I just want to point out that the world isn't black and white.

Take drug use. Alcohol is drug. Is use of alcohol always degenerate? Should it be banned? Should everyone be imprisoned that drinks a glass of wine? The Americans even went that far at some stage in their history. As Mencken said when he commented on the upcoming Prohibition and the Scopes Trial:
    The so-called religious organizations which now lead the war against the teaching of evolution are nothing more, at bottom, than conspiracies of the inferior man against his betters. They mirror very accurately his congenital hatred of knowledge, his bitter enmity to the man who knows more than he does, and so gets more out of life. Certainly it cannot have gone unnoticed that their membership is recruited, in the overwhelming main, from the lower orders - that no man of any education or other human dignity belongs to them. What they propose to do, at bottom and in brief, is to make the superior man infamous - by mere abuse if it is sufficient, and if it is not, then by law.

Such organizations, of course, must have leaders; there must be men in them whose ignorance and imbecility are measurably less abject than the ignorance and imbecility of the average. These super-Chandala often attain to a considerable power, especially in democratic states. Their followers trust them and look up to them; sometimes, when the pack is on the loose, it is necessary to conciliate them. But their puissance cannot conceal their incurable inferiority. They belong to the mob as surely as their dupes, and the thing that animates them is precisely the mob's hatred of superiority. Whatever lies above the level of their comprehension is of the devil. A glass of wine delights civilized men; they themselves, drinking it, would get drunk. Ergo, wine must be prohibited. The hypothesis of evolution is credited by all men of education; they themselves can't understand it. Ergo, its teaching must be put down.
    So what's degenerate about drinking a glass of good wine to an excellent meal? If anything, then it is alcohol abuse that has to be combatted and not legitimate use, be it recreational or medical. How can alcohol abuse be minimized and how can negative consequences from alcohol (ab)use be reduced? Creating a penal law threatening everybody with imprisonment up to life that possesses a can of beer? I don't think so. It would do far more harm than good. Legalizing alcohol for adults, prohibiting its sale to minors, controlling its quality, taxing it heavily to make it more expensive and to earn money for the state (instead of wasting billions by leading a futile war against alcohol), educating people, considering alcoholics medical patients instead of criminals, maybe introducing alcohol consumption cards that limit the amount one can buy in a week? Probably a good idea. Penal laws and outlawing things needn't be the best way to deal with social issues, and typically they aren't. (Maybe this also applies to cannabis, who knows? )

When i read your post i get the sense that you put a correlation mark between these two, that everyone who is different from the masses, either by possessing an "abnormal" intellect/intelligence or by having a mental disorder such as homosexuality or doing drugs is equally important for the progression of a society.
    No, it's not. That's a misunderstanding. But society should have a chance to decide this itself in a free competition of ideas. Ideas and behaviors that are in contradiction to human nature do not survive on the long run. The greatest fools are those that are cocksure about themselves and tell us they know exactly which path we have to follow and how we have to deal with all our problems. An intelligent and educated person knows that he knows very little and thus is always open to increase his knowledge and to reconsider his positions based on new knowledge he gained. So I'm definitely with Galileo and not with the Holy Inquisition. I'm willing to listen to you, and I'm willing to listen to everybody else whose opinions differ from mine. Maybe he has knowledge and experiences I didn't sufficiently consider? More likely than not it will hold true. Everybody makes unique experiences in the decades of his life.

In today's society intelligence isn't valued highly, instead the average good citizen who doesn't questions or think for him/herself is the ideal which is promoted, together with liberal ideas about morality and what is right and wrong, mass consumption and the destruction of our own heritage and ourselves as a people.

This is what the media, our government and powerful lobby groups/special interest groups with shady agendas wants to shove down our throats, and they are very successful in their undertaking unfortunately. This is not a positive progression of our society, it is a degeneracy and a developement that is anything but desirable.
    Good point, but if human beings are still bound by natural laws (I believe they are), it can't be beyond their nature to react that way. Society becomes more atomized -- but why? There are surely many explanations but it shouldn't be overlooked that a good deal of it might be caused by the fact that people are nowadays considerably more intelligent and educated than they used to be. Average IQ scores have been increasing about 3 points every decade since we measure them. Smarter people are more individualistic. This might be a necessary phase in human evolution. Interesting topic, but my point is simply that are always many different sides to an issue. What looks bleak from here could look bright from another angle.
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sv: How Open Minded Are You?

While i don't agree with you on most of your stand points, you certainly make interesting and well worth reading posts. This is pretty much a dead end debate because our approach to humanity differs on a fundamental level, you being very liberal and open to everything while i'm very conservative and being guided by my morality and sense of what is right and wrong. I have no cards up my sleeves on this issue that will make more sense to you than the posts i have already given.

I think it would be interesting if you did some of the personality tests in this thread:

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=53225

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: How Open Minded Are You?

You Are 64% Open Minded

You are a very open minded person, but you're also well grounded.
    Tolerant and flexible, you appreciate most lifestyles and viewpoints.
    But you also know where you stand firm, and you can draw that line.
    You're open to considering every possibility - but in the end, you stand true to yourself.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 12:19 AM
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let' see how open minded you're.

Tho, i think i can guess some of your answers this time

You Are 72% Open Minded You are a very open minded person, but you're also well grounded.
    You're open to considering every possibility - but in the end, you stand true to yourself.

http://www.blogthings.com/howopenmindedareyouquiz/

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 5th, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You Are 20% Open Minded

You may be surprised to hear that you're not very open minded... and a little judgmental.
    You tend to dislike others that are different from you.
    While you may be open to a few new things, you don't reach far beyond what you believe.
    And it's likely that you don't even want to discuss different points of view!

How Open Minded Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/howopenmindedareyouquiz/
    Quote Originally Posted by from the test
    You could be convinced to change your mind on an important ethnical issue - like abortion or war.
    Should this not be "ethical"?

TeutonicKnight

Hmmm... a 20% here. This test is built under the preconception that "open-mindedness" consists of how little disgust/opposition you project towards modern society.

That means that as a WN, I already knew I was pretty much toast when it came to getting the higher scores. lol.

Last Online
    Monday, September 20th, 2010 @ 09:23 AM
    Subrace
    Eurasian ( Lappoid+? )
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    None.
    Politics
    Bolshevism/Eurasianism
    Religion
    Don't care
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You Are 80% Open Minded You are so open minded that your brain may have fallen out!
    Well, not really. But you may be confused on where you stand.
    You don't have a judgemental bone in your body, and you're very accepting.
    You enjoy the best of every life philosophy, even if you sometimes contradict yourself.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

You Are 68% Open Minded
    You are a very open minded person, but you're also well grounded.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 @ 07:05 PM
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: How Open Minded Are You?

You Are 44% Open Minded

You aren't exactly open minded, but you have been known to occasionally change your mind. You're tolerant enough to get along with others who are very different... But you may be quietly judgmental of things or people you think are wrong. You take your own values pretty seriously, and it would take a lot to change them.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 07:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I'm a fairly open-minded person and can entertain the possibility of many ideas without necessarily accepting them all. I try not to be judgmental about things although there are a few limits which I will not surpass. I can agree to disagree and accept many perspectives, and try to put myself into the shoes of those who entertain them, to better understand them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast