Last Online
    Thursday, November 20th, 2008 @ 08:58 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

3 another examples of non Slavic looking Germans, first is typicaly square faced, the second have long and compresed (narrow) nose and narrow jaw, the third one coul be clasified as Slavic look but again distance betwen lips and nose is slightly too big (celtic? basque? trait) and lower part of face (from nose) is much longer in proportion to the length of the nose.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It's widely accepted that the Slavs are not a racial but a cultural group but it's also a fact that most people have a notion of "Slavic look". It might be the mannerism, of being brought up in Slavic culture of course; but then, not having been brought up in a Slavic country, I've always heard that comment myself; that I have a "Slavic look", whatever that implies. Here in the U.S, I'm automatically classified as being "Slavic" and I don't even speak a Slavic language fluently, nor do I have a very distinct accent. I'm not promoting the theory of Slavic people being of a common sub-race, but there is such a thing, at least in many people's minds that a Slavic look does exist. And to people whom I had never disclosed my ethnicity, it's rather thought provoking that they should guess so easily. Leaves me wondering.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, November 3rd, 2008 @ 03:04 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Politics
    Eugenics
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Well, how do you explain the genetic, cultural, and linguistic similarities (if the Slavs are not a racial group; again, tell that to Polak).

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    It's widely accepted that the Slavs are not a racial but a cultural group but it's also a fact that most people have a notion of "Slavic look". It might be the mannerism, of being brought up in Slavic culture of course; but then, not having been brought up in a Slavic country, I've always heard that comment myself; that I have a "Slavic look", whatever that implies. Here in the U.S, I'm automatically classified as being "Slavic" and I don't even speak a Slavic language fluently, nor do I have a very distinct accent. I'm not promoting the theory of Slavic people being of a common sub-race, but there is such a thing, at least in many people's minds that a Slavic look does exist. And to people whom I had never disclosed my ethnicity, it's rather thought provoking that they should guess so easily. Leaves me wondering.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 29th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/W.Baltic with Brunn
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by friedrich braun
    Well, how do you explain the genetic, cultural, and linguistic similarities (if the Slavs are not a racial group; again, tell that to Polak).
    It seems to me that Rusalka was agreeing with you.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It seems to me that it's quite clear that I'm rather confused on the subject and not really taking a stand. I cannot speak as confidently as providenje and Triglav here; both having lived and living in Slavic countries, respectively. I myself can more or less tell if people are from a Slavic descent, at least I make a good guess most of the time, but I don't know if this is because of the mannerism most Slavic people share due to culture, or actual sub-racial traits.

In any case, I don't think it's very scientific to assume that Northern Russians share the exact same phenotype as, say, Bulgarians. I'm not saying anyone is doing that here, but both are Slavic countries and peoples if it comes to that. Of course it's valid at this point to say that Russians have a different sub-race than Bulgarians and that they are predominantly Nordic as opposed to mostly Dinarid Bulgarians. In that case, what makes a "Slav" from the racial point of view?

I think this is a rather complex subject. I had only wanted to give a personal example.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 29th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/W.Baltic with Brunn
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    It seems to me that it's quite clear that I'm rather confused on the subject and not really taking a stand. I cannot speak as confidently as providenje and Triglav here; both having lived and living in Slavic countries, respectively. I myself can more or less tell if people are from a Slavic descent, at least I make a good guess most of the time, but I don't know if this is because of the mannerism most Slavic people share due to culture, or actual sub-racial traits.

In any case, I don't think it's very scientific to assume that Northern Russians share the exact same phenotype as, say, Bulgarians. I'm not saying anyone is doing that here, but both are Slavic countries and peoples if it comes to that. Of course it's valid at this point to say that Russians have a different sub-race than Bulgarians and that they are predominantly Nordic as opposed to mostly Dinarid Bulgarians. In that case, what makes a "Slav" from the racial point of view?

I think this is a rather complex subject. I had only wanted to give a personal example.
    I think people are talking more about Northern Germanics vs Northern Slavs, and Southern Germanics vs Southern Slavs and their respective differences. ie a Nordic Swede and a Nordic Pole somehow look different, just as for some reason, an Alpine Austrian might look different from an Alpine Serb.

Also, there must be something to this theory it if people have pegged "new worlders" such as you and me as Slavs, even though we probably don't exhibit any noticeable mannerisms.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, December 24th, 2005 @ 11:12 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Non-hateful Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only "Slavic" groups that are genetically and phenotypically simmilar to any appreciable extent are Russians and Poles. Belarussians are Slavicized Balts, Ukrainians are Slavicized Iranians who resemble Southern Germans and Hungarians, etc...

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Slavic
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slavic or Germanic?-check out my attachments

Miss Serbia definitely looks "Serbian", it's something about the the eyes I tell ya!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, November 3rd, 2008 @ 03:04 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Politics
    Eugenics
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Patriot
    The only "Slavic" groups that are genetically and phenotypically simmilar to any appreciable extent are Russians and Poles. Belarussians are Slavicized Balts, Ukrainians are Slavicized Iranians who resemble Southern Germans and Hungarians, etc...
    It's useful to provide links when making such assertions.

Have you had this discussion with Polak? and have you read the arguments in the link I posted?

Comments?

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Fairness
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's useful to provide links when making such assertions.

Have you had this discussion with Polak? and have you read the arguments in the link I posted?

Comments?
    Russian Patriot is right. Slovenia doesn't look "Slavic either". Even though some have claimed I have a "Slavic" look about me and I definitely resemble a Pole or a Russian more than the average Slovenian, Polak maintained that I look Finnish or Swedish.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast