Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 'Movement for the Autonomy of Silesia' (Schlesien)

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    West Prussia
    Ancestry
    From the roots of the Mountain.
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Occupation
    Student.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Silesion Autonomy Movement won 3 seats in the Silesian Lower House this year, two times more votes than it had received since 2006.

It is also my understanding that something like 49% of Polands power comes from Silesia, they wont give it up easily, should be interesting.
    Life is a well of delight; but where the rabble also drink, there all fountains are poisoned.

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 @ 08:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Schlesien
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Youth
    Occupation
    would-be historian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlkönig View Post
    The Silesion Autonomy Movement won 3 seats in the Silesian Lower House this year, two times more votes than it had received since 2006.

It is also my understanding that something like 49% of Polands power comes from Silesia, they wont give it up easily, should be interesting.
    You don't know the half of it

In the last months we have a nation-wide hysteria in Polen, with catholic church inciting ordinary Polacks, biggest newspapers and TV stations alarming about "german danger" and top politicians condemning "dangerous autonomy movement".

In last local elections on Schlesien, Deutsche Minderheit got 19% and Silesian Autonomy got 9% of entire votes.

Last Online
    Monday, January 8th, 2018 @ 07:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polen und Galizien
    Subrace
    Alpine, Dinaric and CM
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Single
    Occupation
    Live
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenaz View Post
    My ancestors lived in Prussia/Silesia for CENTURIES!
    Now to read *polak* on their site makes me wanting to vomit!!!
    Keep in mind that many ethnic Silesians (myself included) don't generally have problems with Poles.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I was under the impression there were conflictual views between Poles and Silesian Germans. Because the overtaking of Silesia has such a bloody and gruesome background, a lot of ethnic Germans hold some resentment towards Poland. Where brutality and force was used, it's hard to have a neutral remembrance. Whenever I listen or read to the memories of German Silesians who were expelled, it's always a sad picture...

Stolen Heritage: German Silesia
    http://www.revisionist.net/german-silesia.html

“... In unending succession were girls, women and nuns violated... Not merely in secret, in hidden corners, but in the sight of everybody, even in churches, in the streets and in public places were nuns, women and even eight-year-old girls attacked again and again. Mothers were violated before the eyes of their children; girls in the presence of their brothers; nuns, in the sight of pupils, were outraged again and again to their very death and even as corpses... “ Mississippi Senator Eastland quoting from a letter smuggled out of Breslau September, 1945
    Silesian Germans, some of whom had roots in Silesia going back centuries, and who before World War II amounted to about 4 million, were collectively labelled “German partisans” and either fled or were murdered, put in camps, sent to the Gulags or expelled. Often, the men would be rounded up from the villages and camps and marched a short distance away, shot and buried in mass graves. Under the terms of the agreements at the Yalta Conference of 1944 and the Potsdam Agreement of 1945, German Silesia east of the rivers Oder and Lusatian Neisse was transferred to Poland. Poles from lands stolen by Stalin were trucked in and resettled there before the blood had even dried. The Germans were sometimes ordered to not only leave all of their possessions behind, they were ordered to leave the beds made with clean linen. It was efficient, well-planned and organized.

Gerhart Hauptmann’s birthplace was a resort town in Silesia named Bad Salzbrunn. Fortunately for him, he died long before 1945 when he would have joined the millions of other Germans cast from their homes forever. An order of expulsion was placed upon the expellees by Communist Section Commander Major Zinkowski:

On July 14, 1945 from 6 to 9 oclock resettlement of the German population will take place.

The German population will be resettled to an area west of the river Neisse.

Each German is allowed to take 20kg of luggage with him at the most.

No means of transportation (wagons, oxen, horses, cows etc) is permitted.

The total of the living and dead inventory in an undamaged state remains the property of Poland.

The last resettlement deadline will terminate on the 14th of July at 10 o’clock.

Noncompliance with this order will be punished severely, including the use of weapons.

Sabotage and looting will also be prevented by the use of weapons.

Assembly point on the street station Bad Salzbrunn Adelsbacher Weg in a four person marching column. The head of the column is to be 20 meters before the village of Adelsbach.

Those Germans who have a certified non-evacuation order, are not permitted to leave their dwelling with their family members from 5 o’clock to 14:00.

All dwellings in the city must remain open; all apartment and house keys must be left outside.
    Also some paragraphs from an other article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/15/ma...pagewanted=all

THE CASE OF THE GERMAN MINORITY IN POLAND holds a special interest, because the question of Germany's borders is so sensitive. Even half-enlightened Germans will shudder at the mention of their brethren in Poland, for the issue of the Germans in Silesia inevitably calls up associations with Germany's right-wing Silesian Patriots' Clubs, and the Leagues of Expellees, the umbrella organization representing Germans who were forced to leave Poland and Czechoslovakia after World War II. Some 12 million Germans were expelled, and the leagues claim a membership of 2.3 million.

Not long ago, the organization's president, Herbert Czaja, assailed the President of the Federal Republic for voting to confirm Poland's western border as it now stands, along the Oder and Neisse Rivers. How could the head of state ''surrender 104,000 square kilometers of Germany?'' he asked. The question was not rhetorical. The man really does want all of Silesia back, or at least Upper Silesia, the southern half of it, where almost all the Germans are.
    Culturally German for centuries, Silesia was given to Poland after World War I, fell to the Nazis in 1939, and reverted to Poland after World War II in compensation for the loss of its eastern provinces to the Soviet Union. Nearly all its Germans were forcibly repatriated to Allied-administered West Germany. Today, some 600,000 to 800,000 polonized but ethnically German citizens live in the region, almost all of them in Upper Silesia, its southern half.

Germans have not had an easy time of it. Until January, it was illegal to speak, read or teach German in Upper Silesia (because there are so few Germans in Lower Silesia, its anti-German laws were relaxed in the 1950's).
    The existence of the German minority had been denied right up to this year, ''when all along the region I live in had belonged to Germany until 1920, and it's nonsense to say there weren't any Germans in Germany, right?''

After the war, the Germans were forcibly polonized: ''We were frightened; today we're still frightened.'' Krol senior angrily tells us about a neighbor, ''a pure-blooded German'' who, with a typically German lack of civic-mindedness, still refuses to admit he's a German.
    A video about the disputes:

An old debate is stirred again as Silesians question their national heritage. Rightwing conservatives in Poland feel national unity is threatened, minorities feel discriminated against.The dispute was unleashed by the former prime minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski. The nationalist politician said those who chose to describe themselves as 'Silesian' in the recent census were selecting a 'disguised option for Germany'. While most Silesians would never consider breaking away from Poland, they say they don't want to be treated as second-class citizens.
    Poland: Dispute over Silesian Minority | European Journal

A full documentary with more details on the Germans of Silesia:

Als der Osten Heimat war

Some readings about the recent situation:

Poland's German minority - Angela Merkel's voters in Lower Silesia
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/easte...erman-minority

Upper Silesia – Torn Between Poland, Germany and Dreams of Autonomy
    http://www.cafebabel.co.uk/berlin/ar...-autonomy.html

Last Online
    Sunday, September 8th, 2019 @ 05:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's at the same time important to remember that Poland "never" had any claims to Silesia. I read in some comments hostility towards Poland where the hostility should be towards Jew-Bolsheviks Communists.

The Germans where forced to leave their lands the same way Poles where forced to leave the estern Polish lands which became Soviet and again by force migrate to western lands previously not being Polish.

The whole movement of people is to blame not only on Soviets but also by the allied forces after WWII. Both Germans and Poles where the biggest losers after WWII.

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans, Hungarians, Slavs
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Democratic National-Conservativ
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The large problem that the bolsheviks have droven out the most of Germans from Prussia and Silesia, and there are not enough Germans that they can fight for an autonomy.

"Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
    /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    True, East Prussia is where my grandparents come from. I have visited Olsztyn (Allenstein) a couple of times actually. I must say the rural area is beautiful and sometimes wonder how it would be to live there if not for the war.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 10:11 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norsk/Kelt
    Ancestry
    Norge/Eireann
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Nordic Union Nordic Union
    Kompliziert!
    Occupation
    Border Protection
    Politics
    Volksgemeinschaft
    Religion
    Ásatrú
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    English is part of the Germanic family of languages and therefore 'Allenstein' is the correct way to write the name of the town via English language usage.

It is only the usual BS of Political Correctness that anyone who speaks a Germanic language would use the Slavic version of the name which is 'Olsztyn'.

I have had this discussion with a Pole at work and he actually agreed with me that insistence to use the Slavic place names is very politically motivated and part of the post-WW2 anti-Germany crusade.
    Wahrheit Macht Freiheit.
    http://www.rheinwiesenlager.de
    HISTORY IS NOT HISTORY - UNLESS IT IS THE 100% TRUTH

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't care being politically correct, I just used the present official name. Even in English I don't say München, but Munich. Also should I say Londinium instead of London because it was a Roman town?
    But I know what you mean and I agree.

Last Online
    Monday, January 8th, 2018 @ 07:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polen und Galizien
    Subrace
    Alpine, Dinaric and CM
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Single
    Occupation
    Live
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Untersberger View Post
    English is part of the Germanic family of languages and therefore 'Allenstein' is the correct way to write the name of the town via English language usage.

It is only the usual BS of Political Correctness that anyone who speaks a Germanic language would use the Slavic version of the name which is 'Olsztyn'.

I have had this discussion with a Pole at work and he actually agreed with me that insistence to use the Slavic place names is very politically motivated and part of the post-WW2 anti-Germany crusade.
    Not 100% true. I agree with Salsa though. The expulsion was very wrong and 100% unethical, albeit the current towns/cities in former East Prussia and Eastern Germany have new names and their new names should be acknowledged: for the sake of ignorance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234